- Volume 3 Issue 2
Mean separated histogram equalization in order to preserve the original mean brightness has been proposed. To provide the minimum mean brightness error after the histogram modification, the input image's histogram is successively divided by the factor of 2 until the mean brightness error is satisfied the defined threshold. Then each divided group or sub-histogram will be independently equalized based on the proportional input mean. To provide the overall minimum mean brightness error, each group will be controlled by adding some certain pixels from the adjacent grey level of the next group for giving its mean near by the corresponding the divided mean. However, it still exists some little error which will be put into the next adjacent group. By successive dividing the original histogram, we found that the absolute mean brightness error is gradually decreased when the number of group is increased. Therefore, the error threshold is assigned in order to automatically dividing the original histogram for obtaining the desired absolute mean brightness error (AMBE). This process will be applied to the color image by treating each color independently.
Improvement histogram equalization;minimum mean brightness error;absolute mean brightness error
- J.S.Lim, "Two-Dimensional Signal and Image Processing", Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1990.
- Yeong-Taeg Kim, "Contrast Enhancement Using Brightness Preserving Bi-Histogram Equalization", IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, February, 1997.
- Scott E Umbaugh, "Computer vision and Image Processing", Prentice Hall : New Jersey, 1998.
- Yu Wan, Qian Chen and Bao-Min Zhang.,"Image Enhancement Based On Equal Area Dualistic Sub- Image Histogram Equalization Method." IEEE Transactions Consumer Electronics,February,1999.
- Young-tack Kim and Yong-hun Cho, "Image Enhancing Method Using Mean-Separate Histogram Equalization", United Stated Patent, Patent No.5,963,665, Oct 5, 1999.
- Yu Wan, Qian Chen and Bao-Min Zhang, "Image Enhancement Based on Equal Area Dualistic Sub- Image Histogram Equalization Method", IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 45,no.1,pp. 68-75, Feb. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.754419
- Soon-Der Chen, "Minimum Mean Brightness Error Bi-Histogram Equalization in Contrast Enhancement", IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, November, 2003.
- Soon-Der Chen, "Contrast Enhancement using Recursive Mean-Separate Histogram Equalization for Scalable Brightness Preservation", IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, November, 2003.