- Volume 10 Issue 1
This paper proposes the installation of a new modular multilevel converter based high-voltage direct current (MMC-HVDC) system to connect between mainland and Jeju island power systems in Korea in 2020. The purpose is to combine with two old line-commutated converters (LCC)-based HVDC system to achieve a stability of the Jeju island power system. The operation of the overall system will be analyzed in three cases: (i) wind speed is variable, (ii) either one of the LCC-HVDC systems is shutdown because of a fault or overhaul, (iii) a short circuit fault occurs at the mainland side. The effectiveness of the proposed control method is confirmed by the simulation results based on a PSCAD/EMTDC simulation program.
Modular multilevel converter;High-voltage direct current;Jeju island power system;Mainland power system;Short circuit fault
- M. Saeedifard, R. Iravani, and J. Pou, “Analysis and Control of DC-Capacitor-Voltage-Drift Phenomenon of a Passive Front-End Five-Level Converter,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 3255-3266, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.905967
- M. Saeedifard and R. Iravani, “Dynamic Performance of a Modular Multilevel Back-to-Back HVDC System,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 2903-2912, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2050787
- Minyuan Guan and Zheng Xu, “Modeling and Control of a Modular Multilevel Converter-Based HVDC System under Unbalanced Grid Conditions,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 4858-4867, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2192752
- Qingrui Tu, Zheng Xu, Young Chang, and Li Guan, “Suppressing DC Voltage Ripples of MMC-HVDC under Unbalanced Grid Conditions,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1332-1338, July 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2196804
- R. Teodorescu, F. Blaabjerg, M. Liserre, and P. C. Loh, “Proportional-Resonant Controllers and Filters for Grid-Connected Voltage-Source Converters,” in IEE Proceedings Electric Power Applications, vol. 153, no. 5, pp. 750-762, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20060008
- Lie Xu and Vassilios G. Agelidis, “VSC Transmission System Using Flying Capacitor Multilevel Converters and Hybrid PWM Control,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 693-702, Jan. 2007.
- M. Saeedifard, R. Iravani, and J. Pou, “A Space Vector Modulation Strategy for a Back-to-Back Five-Level HVDC Converter System,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics,” vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 452-466, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2008360
- S. Allebrod, R. Hamerski, and R. Marquardt, “New Transformerless, Scalable Modular Multilevel Converters for HVDC-Transmission,” Proc. IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conf., PESC, pp. 174-179, 2008.
- M. Hagiwara and H. Akagi, “Control and Experiment of Pulsewidth-Modulated Modular Multilevel Converters,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1737-1746, July 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2014236
- Eel-Hwan Kim, Jae-Hong Kim, Se-Ho Kim, Jaeho Choi, K.Y. Lee, and Ho-Chan Kim, “Impact Analysis of Wind Farms in the Jeju Island Power System,” IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp.134-139, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSYST.2011.2163017
- Huyn S. Kim, Thinh N. Quach, Han J. Ko, Heon D. Lee, and Hwan E. Kim, “Modular Multilevel Converter Based HVDC System for Stabilization of Jeju Island Power System,” Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Power and Energy Systems (AsiaPES 2013), Phuket, Thailand, pp. 184-189, April 2013.
- Jiangchao Qin and M. Saeedifard, “Predictive Control of a Modular Multilevel Converter for a Back-to-Back HVDC System,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1538-1547, July 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2191577
- Qingrui Tu, Zheng Xu, and Lie Xu, “Reduced Switching-Frequency Modulation and Circulating Current Suppression for Modular Multilevel Converters,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 2009-2017, July 2011.
- Jinbo Kuang and Boon Teck Ooi, “Series Connected Voltage-Source Converter Modules for Force-Commutated SVC and DC-Transmission,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 977-983, April 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.296281
- Fengming Zhang, Kyeonghee Cho, Jaeseok Choi, Young-Mi Lee, and Kwang Y. Lee, “A Study on Wind Speed Prediction using Artificial Neural Network at Jeju Island in Korea II,” 2011 IEEE 54th International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS), Seoul, South Korea, pp. 1-4, 7-10 Aug. 2011.
- Group WPS4-1050, “Control of VSC-Based HVDC Transmission System for Offshore Wind Power Plants,” Master Thesis, Aalborg University, Denmark, 2010.
- Cuiqing Du, “VSC-HVDC for Industrial Power Systems,” PhD. Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden, 2007.