- Volume 46 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Efficiency of Sea Food Manufacturing
수산식품 가공업의 효율성 분석
- Yoon, Sang-Ho (Department of Applied Economics, Pukyung National University) ;
- Park, Cheol-Hyung (Division of Economics, Pukyung National University)
- Received : 2015.05.13
- Accepted : 2015.08.24
- Published : 2015.08.31
This study is to analyze the efficiency of Korean sea food manufacturing using Data Envelopment Analysis. Firstly, based on an output oriented traditional CCR, BCC model, the study estimated the efficiency scores. The average estimates of technical, pure technical, and scale efficiency turned out 0.6517, 0.7184, 0.9074 respectively, which are separated for 50 marine corporations. The 10 DMUs were efficient under CCR model while the 17 DMUs under BCC model. Also, the study suggested that the operating profit of the two output factors should be more increased relatively and averagely from the viewpoint of efficiency improvement. Secondly, super efficiency scores are estimated under super efficiency and SBM model. As a result, it came to be possible to distinguish and rank the efficiency of the efficient DMUs. The highest score was 4.2975 under Super-CCR, was 2.4947 under Super-BCC, was 2.7160 under SBM-Super-CCR, and was 1.5319 under SBM-Super-BCC model. The average estimates of super efficiency were 0.76 and 0.82 under Super-CCR and Super-BCC model respectively, and were 0.61 and 0.67 under SBM-Super-CCR and SBM-Super-BCC model. Finally, the study conducted a rank-sum test, Wilcoxon-Mann-Whitney test, to find a statistical significance of heterogeneity existing in efficiencies among the sample corporations. The result showed that there was a significant difference in average efficiency between Dried, Salted product manufacturing and Frozen product manufacturing under BCC-Super efficiency model at 10% level of significance. Furthermore, TOBIT model was applied to find out the potential factors that might influence the efficiency, Wilcoxonand the results showed debt and sales cost influenced all of the technical, pure technical, and scale efficiency, while net profit influenced only the technical efficiency.
- Anderson , P. and Petersen, N, C. (1993), "A procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, 39 (10), 1261-1264.
- Banker, R. D., Charnes, A. and Cooper, W. W. (1984), "Some models for estimating Technical and Scale Efficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, 30 (9), 1078-1092. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.30.9.1078
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W. and Rhodes, E. (1978), "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, 2 (6), 429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- Doyle, J. and Green, R. (1993), "Data Envelopment Analysis and Multiple Criteria Decision Making," Omega, 21, 713-715. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0483(93)90013-B
- Doyle, J. and Green, R. (1994), "Efficiency and Cross- Efficiency in DEA : Derivation, Meaning and Uses," Journal of the Operation Reserach Society, 45, 567-578. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1994.84
- Jhu. (2003), "Quantitative Models for Performance Evaluation and Benchmarking," Kluver Academin Publisher.
- Lee J. D. and Oh, D. H. (2010), "Efficiency Analysis Theory : DEA," IB BOOK.
- Park, C. H. (2010), "A Study on the Efficiency of Fishing-Ports Based on Super-SBM," The Journal of Fisheries Business Administration, 41 (3), 129-151.
- Park, C. H. (2014), "Comparative Analysis of Productive Efficiencies in Adjacent Water Fisheries in Korea and China Local Autonomous Entities," Journal of North-east Asian Cultures, 41, 559-575.
- Park, M. H. (2008), "Efficiency and Productivity Analysis," Korean Scholarship Information.
- Seiford, L. M., Zhu, J.(1999), "Infeasibility of Super- Efficiency Data Envelopment Analysis Models," INFORS, 174-187.
- Stewart, T. J. (1996), "Data Envelopment Analysis and Multiple-Criterion Decision Making- Response," Omega, 22, 205-206.
- Tofallis, C. (1996), "Improving Discernment in DEA Using Profiling," Omega, 24, 229-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0483(95)00060-7
- Tone, K. (2002), "A Slack Based Measure of Super- Efficiency in Data Envelopment Analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, 143, 32-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(01)00324-1
- Yang, D. H. (2012), "Analysis on the Difference in Efficiencies between Environmental Factors of Regional Public Hospitals in Korea Using Super- Efficiency Model," Journal of Korea Contents Association, 12 (7), 284-294. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.07.284
- Yu, C. J., Song, C. H. and Jang, D. H. (2014), "An Analysis of Technical and Super Efficiency of the Special Livestock Cooperatives," The Korean Journal of Cooperative Studies, 32 (2), 57-72.
- Analysis of Management Production Efficiency for Abalone Aquaculture in Wando Area vol.28, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2016.28.6.1629
- Data-based Method of Selecting Excellent SMEs for Governmental Funding Policy: Focused on Fishery Industry in Korea vol.49, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12939/FBA.2018.49.4.001