- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Relationship between health factor, oral health factor and prevalence of depression in Korean elderly
한국 노인의 건강요인 및 구강건강요인과 우울증 유병여부의 관련성
Chun, Ju-Yeon;Jung, Eun-Seo
- Received : 2015.08.05
- Accepted : 2015.12.11
- Published : 2015.12.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the relationship between health factor, oral health factor and revalence of depression in Korea elderly by data from the 5th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES) 2012. Methods: The subjects were 10,938 elderly over 65 years old by rolling survey method and data were extracted from the 5th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES) 2012. Data of 1,421 elderly were finally selected and analyzed using kstrada. The questionnaire consisted of socio-demographical characteristics of the subjects, health factors, oral health factors and depression. The oral health factors included subjective perception of oral health, alcohol consumption, exercise, smoking, and toothache. Results: Health factors influencing on the prevalence of depression were subjective health(p<0.001), stress(p<0.001), and alcohol consumption(p<0.05). Oral health factors related to the prevalence of depression were subjective oral health(p<0.05), annual dental checkup(p<0.01), and speaking problem(p<0.01). Conclusions: It is necessary to develop the oral health promotion program for the elderly and help them maintain good quality of life and mental health.
depression;elderly;health factors;oral health factors
- Kurlowicz LH. Nursing standard or practice protocol: depression in elderly patients. Geriatric Nurs 1997; 18(5): 192-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4572(97)90092-6
- O YH, Bae HO, Kim YS. A study on physical and mental function affecting self-perceived health of older persons in Korea. J Gerontol Soc 2006; 26(3): 461-76.
- Seo JH, Ryu HS. Relations among depression, life satisfaction and health promoting behavior in the elderly. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2010; 21(2): 169-77. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.2.169
- Korea centers for disease control and prevention. 2010 National health statistics-Korea national health and nutrition examination survey. Seoul: Korea centers for disease control and prevention; 2011: pp 159-75.
- National Health Insurance Service. Elderly depressed patients increased by 1.7 times in the last 5 years. Press release of National Health Insurance Service(morning newspaper on March 14th). Seoul: National Health Insurance Service; 2011.
- Lee HS, Kim CM. Effects of oral health impact profile(OHIP) on depression and quality of life among community-dwelling Korean elderly persons. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2012; 23(3): 338-46. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.3.338
- Lee HS. A study on factors causing health conditions and the burden of medical expenses to the elderly. J Gerontol Soc 2004; 24(2): 163-79.
- Kim CG. Factors Influencing health Promoting Behavior of the Elderly: Perceived Family Support and Life Satisfaction. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2002; 13(2): 321-31.
- Jensen PM, Saunders RL, Thierer T, Friedman B. Factors associated with oral health-related quality of life in community-dwelling elderly persons with disabilities. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56(4): 711-17. doi: 10.1111/j.1532- 5415.2008.01631.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.01631.x
- Kim NH, Kim HD, Han DH, Jin BH, Paik DI. Scientific article: Relationship between perceived oral symptoms and perceived oral health status among the elderly in welfare institutions in Seoul. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006; 30(2): 141-50.
- Kim DB, Yoo BS. A study on the neighborhood environment, social relationship and depression of the elderly: In case of Seoul metropolitan area. J Gerontol Soc 2013; 33(1): 105-23.
- Chun HR, Kim IH. Ageism and health: focus on socioeconomic factors. J Gerontol Soc 2013; 33(3): 601-15.
- Kang HW, Park KM. Comparison of correlates of depression in late-life between urban and rural areas. J Gerontol Soc 2012; 32(1): 129-43.
- The ministry for health, welfare and family affairs of the republic of Korea. Korea centers for disease control & prevention. Korea national health and nutrition examination survey raw data use guidelines. Seoul: Korea centers for disease control and prevention; 2012: pp 3-4.
- Bok HJ, Ahn BS, Lee HS. The effect of health behavior and oral health behavior on community periodontal index in Korean adult. Korean J Heal Serv Manag 2013; 7(2): 93-100.
- Lee HJ, Kahng SK, Lee JY. The effects of socioeconomic position and health behavior on geriatric depressive symptom. Hanguk Nonyonhak 2008; 28(4): 1129-45.
- Lee JA, Kim JM. Depression and health status in the elderly. J Gerontol Soc 2010; 30(4): 1311-27.
- Ayotte BJ, Yang FM, Jones RN. Physical health and depression: a dyadic study of chronic health conditions and depressive symptomatology in older adult couples. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2010; 65(4): 438-48. doi:10.1093/geronb/gbq033.
- Kim JH. Physical health and sociodemographic factors in Korean elders. J Gerontol Soc 1996; 16(2): 120-36.
- You KS, Bak HS. Comparison of health status between senior people living alone and those who live with their families. J Gerontol Soc 2003; 23(4): 163-79.
- Ross CE, Wu C. The links between education and health. American Sociological Review 1995; 60(5): 719-45. https://doi.org/10.2307/2096319
- Jan JH, Kim SH. The relationship between xerostomia and depression in elderly people. Korean J Health Edu Promot 2007; 24(3): 51-60.
- Ahn KS, Shin MA. Association between oral health status and oral health impact profile(OHIP-14) among the community elderlies. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(6): 923-38.
- Association of self-perceived oral health and depression in the elderly: the sixth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey(the 6th KNHANES) vol.16, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.285
- Association of stress, depression, and suicidal ideation with subjective oral health status and oral functions in Korean adults aged 35 years or more vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-017-0391-4
Supported by : 원광보건대학교