- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Correlation with subjective oral health status and food preference in elderly people
노인의 식품선호도와 주관적 구강건강상태의 관련성
- Received : 2015.08.08
- Accepted : 2015.12.11
- Published : 2015.12.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the correlation with subjective oral health status and food preference in elderly people. Methods: Data were extracted from the fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Survey 2010-2012. The survey data included general characteristics of the subjects, food preference, and subjective oral health status. Food preference was analyzed by assigning score to 63 food categories. The subjective oral health status consisted of toothache within a month, self-perception of oral health, chewing difficulty, mastication difficulty, and speaking difficulty. Data were analyzed by frequency analysis, descriptive statistics,
elderly;food preference;nutrition;oral health status
- Park YA, Jeong SH, Yoon SH, Choi YH, Song KB. Associations between general health and diet habits and oral health among the elderly in Pohang city. J Koren Acad Dent Health 2006; 30(2): 183-92.
- Choi HS, Moon HK, Kim H, Choi JS. Evaluation of the health status and dietary intakes of the elderly in rural areas by dental status. J Korean Diet Assoc 2010; 16: 22-38.
- Lee HK, Lee YK. The relationship between chewing ability and health status in the long-lived elderly of Kyungpook area. Yeungnam Univ J Med 1999; 16: 200-7. https://doi.org/10.12701/yujm.19188.8.131.52
- Park JE, An HJ, Jung SU, Lee Y, Kim C, Jang YA. Characteristics of the dietary intake of Korean elderly by chewing ability using data from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007-2010. J Nutr Health 2013; 46(3): 285-95. http://dx.doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.3.285. https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.3.285
- Newton JP, Yemm R, Abel RW, Menhinick S. Changes in human jaw muscles with age and dental state. Gerodontology 1993; 10(1): 16-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.1993.tb00074.x
- Gwon MY, Won YS, Kim YS. The study on the state of the elderly oral health and food habits. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009; 9(2): 13-24.
- Choi SL, Jeong SH, Bae HS, Ryu YA, Choi YH, Song KB. A survey of denture satisfaction and oral health related quality of life among recipients of the senile prosthetic restoration program for national basic livelihood security. J Korea Acad Oral Health 2005; 29(4): 474-83.
- Won YS, Jin KN. The relationship of oral state and health condition among elderly people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2003; 3(2): 157-68.
- Nowjack-Raymer RE, Sheiham A. Association of edentulism and diet and nutrition in US adults. J Dent Res 2003; 82(2): 123-26. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910308200209
- Ueno M, Yanagisawa T, Shinada K, Ohara S, Kawaguchi Y. Masticatory ability and functional tooth units in Japanese adults. J Oral Rehabil 2008; 35(5): 337-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.2008.35.5.337. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2008.01847.x
- Hsu KJ, Yen YY, Lan SJ, Wu YM, Chen CM, Lee HE. Relationship between remaining teeth and self-rated chewing ability among population aged 45 years or older in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan. Kaohsiung J Med Sci 2011; 27(10): 457-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.kjms.2011.27.10.457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kjms.2011.06.006
- Gilbert GH, Foerster U, Duncan RP. Satisfaction with chewing ability in a diverse sample of dentate adults. J Oral Rehabil 1998; 25(1): 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2842.1998.00207.x
- Walls AW, Steele JG. The relationship between oral health and nutrition in older people. Mech Ageing Dev 2004; 125(12): 853-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mad.2004.07.011
- Han JH, Yom YH. Effects of eating habits, activities of daily living and health behaviors on oral health related-quality of life in elderly persons. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2012; 19(2): 179-89. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.179
- Palmer CA. Important relationships between diet, nutrition, and oral health. Nutrition in Clinical Care 2001; 4(1): 4-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.2001.4.1.4. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5408.2001.00101.x
- Henshaw MM, Calabrese JM. Oral health and nutrition in the elderly. Nutrition in Clinical Care 2001; 4(1): 34-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.2001.4.1.34. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5408.2001.00109.x
- Lee HS. Association between perceived oral health and perceived oral symptoms among adults in Daegu. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(4): 671-81.
- Kim JH, Lee MH, Kim HY. A study on oral health condition according to intake frequency by food groups. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2014; 15(2): 1010-19. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.2.1010. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.2.1010
- Kim JH, Lee KG. Correlation study of nutrient intake and oral health status -based on the 5th primitive data of Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey-. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2014; 15(5): 3051-57. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.3051
- Hur IG, Lee TY, Dong JK, Hong SH. The effects of dental prostheses to the quality of life among the elderly. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2010; 48(2): 101-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2010.48.2.101. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2010.48.2.101
- Jang MS, Kim HY, Shim YS, Rhyu IC, Han SB, Chung CP, et al. Association between the self-reported periodontal health status and oral health-related quality of life among elderly Koreans. J Korean Acad Periodontol 2006; 36(3): 591-600. http://dx.doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2006.36.3.591. https://doi.org/10.5051/jkape.2006.36.3.591
- Lim KO, Woo SH, Kwak JS. Impact of eating behavior on dietary habits and subjective oral health evaluation. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(4): 441-51.
- Kang YH, Kim MY, Lee ELZ. The relationship of perceived health status, activities of daily living and nutrition status in the community-dwelling Korean elderly. J Korean Acad Nurs 2008; 38(1): 122-30. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.122
- Wilson IR, Cleary PD. Linking clinical variables with health related quality of life: a conceptual model of patient outcomes. J Am Med Assoc 1995; 273(1): 59-65. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1995.03520250075037
- Kim NH, Kim HD, Han DH, Jin BH, Paik DI. Relationship between perceived oral symptoms and perceived oral health status among the elderly in welfare institutions in Seoul. J Korea Acad Oral Health 2006; 30(2): 141-50.
- Kim YN, Kwon HK. Subjective oral health perception of Korean low socio-economic elderly. J Korea Acad Oral Health 2004; 28(2): 257-65.
- Park JH, Jeong SH, Lee GR, Song KB. The impact of tooth loss on oral health related quality of life among the elderly in Seongju, Korea. J Korea Acad Oral Health 2008; 32(1): 63-74.
- Won YS, Kim JH, Kim SK. Relationship of subjective oral health status to subjective oral symptoms for the elderly in some Seoul area. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009; 9(4): 375-80.
- Locker D, Matear D, Stephens M, Lawrence H, Payne B. Comparison of the GOHAI and OHIP-14 as measures of the oral health-related quality of life of the elderly. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2001; 29(5): 373-81. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2001.290507.x
Supported by : 원광보건대학교