- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Oral health behavior and oral health education experience among Korean adolescents: The ninth(2013) web-based survey of Korean youth risk behavior
한국 청소년의 구강건강행태와 구강보건교육 경험의 실태
Oh, Hyunkyung;Song, Yunshin;An, Sohee;Chun, Sungsoo
- Received : 2015.07.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.14
- Published : 2015.12.30
Objectives: The objective of the study is to investigate oral health behavior and oral health education experience in Korean adolescents from the ninth(2013) web-based survey of Korean youth risk behavior. Methods: The subjects were 72,435 students through the ninth 2013 web-based survey of Korean youth risk behavior conducted by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology, the Ministry of Health and Welfare, and the Korea Centers for Disease Control. The questionnaire consisted of socio-demographical characteristics of the subjects, oral health behavior, and oral health education experience. Data were analyzed by SPSS 18.0 program. Results: Oral health education had much influence on tooth brushing after lunch, oral cavity disease prevention, sealants, fluoride application, scaling experience, and consumption of vegetables, milk, carbonated soft drinks, noodles, and snacks. The oral health education had a great impact on those who took good oral health behavior into action. Conclusions: It is very important and necessary to develop the continuing effective oral health education program for the adolescents and make them tale into action.
adolescent;oral health behavior;oral health education experience
- Ministry of health & welfare. Korean national oral health survey. 2012.
- Department of Health and Human Services. National Oral Health Survey data related to in-depth analysis. Seoul: 2012; 77-80.
- Kim EA, Jung YK, Kim KS. A study on the relations of health promoting daily life style and self-efficiency about boys high school students. J Korean Society of School Health 2000; 13: 245-7.
- Kim JB, Choi YJ, Baeck DI, Shin SC, Jang KW, Hong SJ, et al..: Clinical preventive dentistry. 5th ed. Komoonsa; 2009: 66.
- Park JH, Lee EK, Cho MS. A survey on awareness and behavior on preventive method of dental caries in middle school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(4): 707-14. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.4.707
- Ministry of health & welfare. Korean Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey[cited 2015 July 02]. Available from: http://yhs.cdc.go.kr/.
- Pollitt E. Poverty and child development. Relevance of research in developing countries to the United States. Child Development 1994; 65: 283-95.
- Shimakawa T, Sorlie P, Carperter MA, Dennis B, Tell GS, Watson R, et al. Dietary intake pattens and socio-demographic factors in the atherosclerosis risk and communities study. J Prev Med Public Health 1994; 23: 769-80.
- Ministry of health & welfare. Centers for Disease Control. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Seoul: 2007.
- Ministry of health & welfare. Korean Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey. Seoul: 2009-2013.
- Hwang JM, Han JH. A study on the oral health promotion behavior of high school in a part. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009; 9(2): 197-202.
- Ryu KJ. A research on recognition of oral health care among some high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(5): 925-33.
- Son MH. Effects of oral health education program on the oral health knowledge, oral health behavior and oral hygiene status of elementary school students. J Korean Pubilc Health Nurs 2003; 14: 24-35.
- Do JI. The effect oral health education has on the knowledge and behavior concerning oral health: focused on the area middle school & high school students in the Cheongyang, Chungcheongnamdo province [Master's thesis]. Kongju: Univ. of Kongju, 2014.
- Lee CS, Lee KH. A survey of university students' perception of kindness over dental staff in using dental care services in an area. J Dental Hyg Science 2010; 10(6): 473-9.
- Shin KH. Effectiveness of oral health promotion on the oral health education in some high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12: 933-42. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.933
- Lee HS. Association between perceived oral health and perceived oral symptoms among adults in Daegu. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(4): 671-81.
- Yim YS. The factors affecting on the oral health in adolescents: Based on the 5th Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(2010) Doctoral dissertation]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2012.
- Mun SJ, Choung WG, Kim NH. Changes in daily toothbrushing frequency among Korean adults from 2000 to 2006. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2009; 33:183-91.
- Kim SO. Dental survey for the children and the adolescents at Okcheon county [Doctoral dissertation]. Chunan: Univ. of Dankook, 2014.
- Kim MS. A connection between teenage health behaviors and experiences of oral diseases-On the basis of online survey data on the teenage health behaviors-[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of ChungAng, 2014.
- Korea centers for Disease control and prevention. Oral health among Korean adolescents: The results of Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey 2005-2008.
- Lee SH, Yun ME, Chun SS. Relationship between Korean Juveniles' Dietary Habits and Drinking Alcohol. J Korean Soc School & Community Health Educ 2014; 15: 23-38.
- Her ES, Lee KH, Bae EY, Lyu YS. Interrelations among fast food intake, food behavior, and personality in adolescent. J Community Nutrition 2007; 12: 714-23.
- Broadbent JM, Thomson WM, Poulton R. Oral health beliefs in adolescence and oral health in young adulthood. J Dent Res 2006; 85: 339-43. http://dx.doi:10.1177/154405910608500411. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910608500411
- Effects of Adolescent and Oral Health-Related Characteristics on Dental Caries vol.12, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2018.12.2.101
- Effect of oral health-related factors on oral health knowledge, attitude, and practice of college students vol.42, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2018.42.4.124