- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Influence of elderly-related experience on attitude toward elderly in dental hygiene students
일 개 대학 치위생과 학생들의 노인관련 경험이 노인에 대한 태도에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.07.01
- Accepted : 2015.12.11
- Published : 2015.12.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the influence of elderly-related experience on attitude toward elderly in dental hygiene students. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 213 dental hygiene students in Suwon from November 21 to 30, 2012. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects, elderly-related experience, knowledge on elderly, and attitude toward elderly by Likert 7 points scale. The instrument for knowledge on elderly was adapted from facts on aging quiz-I by Palmore and modified by Kim et al. Data were analyzed by t test, one way ANOVA, and multiple regression analysis using SPSS 21.0 program. Results: The attitude toward the elderly was
attitude;elderly;dental hygiene students;knowledge
- Kang HK. A study on dental hygiene students' knowledge, attitude and behavior towards the elderly in Busan. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006; 6(3): 219-25.
- Statistics Korea. Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistics DB, Farm economy[Internet]. [cited 2013 Sep 30]. Available form: http://kostat.go.kr.
- Lim YS, Kim JS, Kim KS. Nurses' knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly. J Korean Gerontol Society 2002; 22(1): 31-46.
- Sim SH, Kim JS. A study on knowledge of and attitude to the elderly among some dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010; 10(2): 71-7.
- Kwon YH, Lee HY, Hwang SS. A study on the knowledge, attitude and nursing practice of the nurses-towards the elderly in geriatric hospitals. J Korean Academia-industrial Cooperation Soc 2013; 14(11): 5785-91. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/kais.2013.14.11.5785. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5785
- Jung JY, Yun SY. Elder care related knowledge, attitudes, nursing practice and awareness of elder abuse in geriatric hospital health personnels. J Korean Gerontol Nurs 2012; 14(3): 233-41.
- Palmore EB. The facts on aging quiz. 2nd ed. New York: Spinger Pubulishing Company; 1998: 1-83.
- Lee HW. A study on the social workers' attitude toward the elderly in Korea. J Korean Acad Social Welfare 1999; 39: 266-89.
- Kim SY, Yang KM, Oh HE, Kim JS. Nursing and social welfare students' knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly. J Korean Gerontol Soc 2002; 22(3): 21-36.
- Sanders GF, Montgomery JE, Pittman JF, Balkwell C. Youth's attitudes toward elderly. J Applied Gerontol 1988; 3(1): 59-70.
- Lee JM. A study on Korean, Japanese university student's knowledge of and attitude toward the senior. J Welfare Aged 2009; 45: 117-40.
- Han JR. Undergraduate students' attitudes toward elderly. J Korean Gerontol Soc 2000; 20(3): 115-27.
- Lee SS. Factors affecting the knowledge and attitude of dental Hygienists toward the elderly. J Korean Acad of Dent Hyg 2009; 11(2): 223-35.
- Lee JW, Park EJ, Choi JM. A study on the knowledges, attitudes and behaviors of some university students about the old. J of Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(2): 233-42.
- Lee JM, Lee SY. The impact of gerontology on the knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly among the undergraduate students. J Welfare Aged 2005; 29: 259-83.
- Lee YA, Yoon HS, Kim YS. Impact of aged-related experience on knowledge and attitude toward aged -dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009; 9(5): 551-6.
- Park KR, Lee YS. Changing university students' perceptions toward th aged: effects of knowledge and experience of the elderly. J Korean Home Economics Assoc 2002; 40(1): 37-51.
- Jeon HR. The effect of aging related experience and knowledge of doctors and nurses on their attitudes to the elderly[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2010.
- Ji MG, Ahn KS. A study of images of the elderly perceived by dental hygienists and their behaviors. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2008; 8(3): 23-36.
- Seo BS, Kim SH. A study on the elderly image of university students. J Korean Gerontol Society 1999; 19(2): 97-111.
- An BW, Rie JI. Effects of senior simulation program on attitudes and knowledges toward the elderly. J Creation and Innov 2010; 3(2): 223-50.
- Kwon MS, Noh GY, Jang JH. University students' images, knowledge, and stereotypes plus perceptions about the elderly. J Korean Public Health Nurs 2013; 27(3): 633-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/jkphn.2013.27.2.633. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.633