- Volume 15 Issue 6
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the attitude toward medical health information in the dental hygiene students. Methods: The subjects were 370 dental hygiene college students in the metropolitan area. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 350 students from March 2 to May, 3, 2014. Except 20 incomplete answers, data were analyzed by frequency analysis, t-test, and one-way ANOVA using SPSS 12.0 program. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects, satisfaction of internet use, and attitude toward medical health information. Results: Most of the students had personal computers and they did not receive computer education. The students used internet in the variety of the fields. Satisfaction level was 3.28 by 5 point Likert scale. The attitude toward medical health information was 3.20. They would not use computer if possible, and the score was 3.50 points that was the highest mark. There was no statistically significant difference in medical health information by the general characteristics of the subjects. Conclusions: The attitude toward medical health information was not fully satisfactory in many fields. The curriculum for the dental hygiene must include step-by-step computer course and the computer education must provide the diverse educational opportunities for the students.
medical health care;internet usage;information system;dental hygiene students
- Park YH, Kim MH, Ha HJ, Kim SA. Students nurses's attitude toward computerization. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2004; 10(2): 220-8.
- Scott RE. e-Records in health-presserving our future. Intern J Med Inform 2007; 76(5-6): 427-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2006.09.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2006.09.007
- Rim BM, Yoo KS. An empirical study on effectiveness of hospital information system and its influncing factors (with emphasis on the order communication system). Korean J Hosp Manage 2001; 6(2): 115-37.
- Doll WJ, Torkzadeh G. The measurement of end-user computing satisfaction: theoretical and methodological issues. MIS Quarterly 1991; 15(1): 5-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/249429. https://doi.org/10.2307/249429
- Choi OJ, Park SH, Park IS, Shin HJ. A study of the efficiency of nursing time, nursing information system(NIS)-focused on direct and indirect, the frequencies of telephone and verbal orders. J Korean Clinic Nurs Res 2003; 9(2): 163-9.
- Jeong MK. A Study on nurses' perception and job efficiency of computerized nursing services[Masters thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2001.
- Burkes M. Identifying and relating nurses' attitudes toward computer use. Comput Nurs 1991; 9(5): 90-201.
- Seo NR, Lee MH. Evalation of nursing information systems in a general hospital. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2001; 7(1): 111-26.
- Bongartz C. Computer-oriented patient care. a comparison of nurses's attitudes and perceptions. Comput Nurs 1988; 6(5): 204-10.
- Jiang WW, Chen W, Chen YC. Important computer competerncies for the nursing profession. J Nurs Res 2004; 12(3): 213-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.jnr.0000387505. 98877.6d. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JNR.0000387505.98877.6d
- Park HE, Ji SE. A study on school nurses' attitude and needs about school health care information system. The chung-Ang J Nurs 2000; 4(2): 51-68.
- Stronge JH, Brodt A. Assessment of nurses' attitude towared computer use. Comput Nurs 1985; 9(5): 190-201.
- Kim G. A study of the factors of the ICT application in public administration. Korean Pub Admin Review 2001; 35(4): 31-53.
- Hwang JI, Park HA. Nurses' attitude toward computerization and their need assessment in pre and post hospital information systems. Healthcare Informatic Res 2001; 7(1): 57-66.
- Kim YA, Kim NH, Kim IS. Analysis of nurses satisfaction on job process after acquiring ward-order communication system. Healthcare Informatic Res 2000; 6(2): 27-44.
- Park KS, Choi IS, Kang HW, Kim NY, Kim MJ, Kim SH et al. A survey on nurses' utilization of computerization in nursing practice. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2003; 9(3): 367-78.
- Kim SS, Ju HO, Park IS. Factors affecting utilization of clinical nurses' hospital information system. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2008; 14(4): 440-7.
- Im YJ. A study on activaion factor of information technology in Korean public organization. [Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyung Hee, 1997.