- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The influence of community oral hygiene promotion program on oral hygiene practice behavior in children
지역사회 구강보건프로그램이 아동의 구강건강관리 행태 변화에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.09.17
- Accepted : 2015.12.21
- Published : 2015.12.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the influence of community oral hygiene program on oral hygiene practice behavior in children. Methods: Oral hygiene promotion program was performed in 23 community child centers in Seoul, Incheon and Gyeonggido. The study analyzed the effect of community oral hygiene promotion programs on the oral hygiene practice behavior in children from September to December, 2014. The trained dental hygienists in 23 public health centers and dental hygiene students participated in the oral hygiene promotion program for oral health examination and education for the children. The contents of the program was standardized and instructed to the team members. The individual improvement in children oral hygiene practice was assessed using PHP(patient hygiene performance) index score. Data were analyzed using SPSS 12.0 program. Results: After the program, children who stopped eating confectioneries and those eating once a day increased to 32.12% and 14.24%, respectively. Those eating more than four times a day were still high(32.44%), but it was a lower rate than before the program (p<0.001). The rate of toothbrushing of more than 2 to 3 times a day was 82.75% and it was higher than before the education (p<0.001). The knowledge level of children increased from 18.83% to 66.30%. The oral hygiene practice performance in children was highly improved. Conclusions: The four months duration of oral hygiene program remarkably improved the oral hygiene practice in the children. So the community health centers and welfare centers must cooperate and improve the children oral health promotion by developing the oral health promotion program.
children;change of oral health behavior;oral health program
- Jeon HJ. Changes in oral health knowledge and performance in elementary school students after oral health promotion program[Master's thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook National, 1998.
- Choi YK, Lee MS, Bae SM, Son JH, Ryu DY. Evaluation on the oral health promotion program effect from some part of community child center. J Korea Acad Indus coop Soc 2013; 14(8): 3850-7.
- Lee SM, Lim MH, Jung JY, Hwang YS, Kim SH. Understanding and performance of oral health management of public health teachers in Seoul. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(3): 449-57.
- Ministry of health and welfare. Headquarters for community child center, 'community child center status survey'. Ministry of health & welfare; 2012: 38-43.
- Jung SH. Oral health promotion program of community children care center throughout community based network. Korea Health Prom Found 2007: 35-7.
- Korea Laws. the Child Welfare Law[Internet][2015 Sep 05]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsSc.do?menuId=0&p1=&subMenu=1&nwYn=1§ion=&tabNo=&query=%EC%95%84%EB%8F%99%EB%B3%B5%EC%A7%80% EB%B2%95%20%EC%8B%9C%ED%96%89%EB%A0%B9#undefined.
- Chun JY, Choi YH. Understanding and practice of oral health promotion by community child care center teachers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(4): 827-37. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.4.827
- Jin BH, Lee JN, Yoo JY, Min GR, Min JR, Jung JH, et al. The development of oral health educational program; for grade-schoolers in low-income families. Korea Health Prom Found 2009: 123-4.
- Kim EJ. Kang BR, Kim RH, Son SR, Han GS. Aspects of oral health behaviors, snack intake and the patient hygiene performance(PHP) index scores among children on community children's center. J Korean Acad Oral health 2010; 34(4-5): 577-86.
- Yum JH, Kim HI, Kwon MH, Shin SJ. The effect in oral health promotion program based on community networking for elementary school students from community chil center. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(2): 214-22.
- Korea Health Promotion Foundation. Korea oral health promotion strategy of WHO. Seoul: Health promotion series; 2012(4): 33-5.
- Jun HJ, Song KB, Lee SK. Changes in knowledge and performance of oral hygiene management in grade schoolers after oral health education. Korean Soc Sch Health 1999; 12(2): 295-303.
- Kim HK, Bae SM, Lee MS. The comparison of effect in oral health education frequency for elementary school students from community child center. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(5): 759-71.
- Korea Laws, www.law.go.kr[Internet][cited 2015 Sep 05]. Available from: http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=1827349&cid=42154&categoryId=42154.
- Choi EY, Kim MS, Lee YJ. A case study on incremental oral health care with the center on a living ground: centering on community child care centers in Dongjak-gu. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2010; 12(1): 23-36.