- Volume 15 Issue 6
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to examine awareness and satisfaction toward health insurance coverage of scaling. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 221 patients receiving scaling service from July to August, 2014. The informed consent was approved after the explanation of purpose of the study. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects, awareness toward health insurance coverage of scaling, scaling service covered by health insurance, and satisfaction with health insurance service. Results: Those recognizing the health insurance service extension accounted for 87.3 percent and 67.4 percent answered that the appropriate coverage age would be 20 years old. The recommendable frequency of scaling was once a year and this accounted for 49.3 percent. Fifty percent of the subjects thought health insurance coverage of scaling would be reasonable and 34.8 percent acquired the information from mass media. The most common service providers were dental hygienists and the length of service was from 20 to 30 minutes. The contents of service included scaling service, toothbrushing method, and oral care. The satisfaction was 4.39 points. Conclusions: The health insurance coverage of scaling will improve the oral health and quality of life in Korean adults. So the government should try to extend the scaling coverage by health insurance and the frequency of scaling.
awareness;health insurance coverage;satisfaction;scaling
- Lee JY, Yu GP. Relationship between periodontal diseases and quality of life. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(5): 835-43. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.835
- Won JH, Ha MN. An association of periodontitis and diabetes. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(2): 107-13.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Contral & Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2007: Korean Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES). Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare;2007:269.
- Health Insurance Review and Assesment Information, Disease statistics DB[internet]. Avalilable from: http://www.hira.or.kr.
- Ha JE, Bae KH. Reasons for extraction of permanent teeth in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health, 2012; 36(2): 32-7.
- Han SB. Sacling and root planing. Seoul: Koonja, 2005: 2-3.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. Press information, Scaling [internet]. [cited 2013 May 16]. Avalilable from: http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new.
- Jung EK. Scaling behavior connected factor of manufactoring industry worker. [Master's thesis]. Kyoungbuk: Univ. of Daegu Hanny, 2004.
- Jung JO, Ju OJ, Woo SH. Analysis on some company workers' awareness of scaling and related factors. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2008; 8(1): 133-46.
- Lee HS, Lee KH. Recognition about national health insurance of dental scaling in industry accident injury patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(4): 561-8. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.561
- Ju ON, Kang EJ, Woo SH, Lee AJ, Lee HJ, Park MY. Recognition between laypwesons and dental hygienists on expansion of health insurance of scaling. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(3): 431-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.431. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.431
- Hah MY. A study on the changes in consumers' awareness and the rate of scaling in each region after its coverage by the national health insurance scheme[Master's thesis]. Jukjeon: Univ. of Dankook, 2001.
- Lee MS, Lee HJ. The factors of oral health beliefs on scaling performance by national health insurance coverage in consumers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015;15(1): 31-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.39. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.31
- Ministry of health & welfare.'2012 Korean National Oral Health Survey'[Internet].[cited 2013 Nov 02]. Available from: http:www.mw.go.kr/front_new/jb/sjb.
- Nam IS, Shim HS, Lim SA, Kim MJ. Need time of dental scaling. Oral Biology Research 2004; 28(3): 143-151.
- Myeong S. The effect of oral health education on the satisfaction of patients for scaling and their intentions to re-visit the hospital[Master's thesis]. Jukjeon: Univ. of Dankook, 2012.
- Ko MK, Lim DS, Ahn YS. Deciding factors of regular scaling checkup in metropolitan adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(6): 969-76. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.969
- Shin JJ, Jin KN. The factors influencing of visiting dental clinic for preventing as scaling to workers. Health and Soc Sci 2006; 21: 97-115.
- Jin SH. Fear of scaling and its related factors[Master's thesis].Daegu: Univ. of Knungpook National, 2011.
- Lee MH, Chung WG, Kim CB, Kim NH. Analysis on the difference between needs and recipients for scaling and its trend in korea(2000-2009). J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012; 36(2): 137-43.
Supported by : 한양여자대학교