- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting on Smartphone Addiction according to the Classification of Addiction-risk Groups among College Students: A Focus on Self-control
대학생의 스마트폰 중독 분류군 별 중독에 영향을 미치는 요인: 자기통제력을 중심으로
- Received : 2015.08.06
- Accepted : 2015.12.11
- Published : 2015.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of the study was to investigate the factors affecting on smartphone addiction according to the classification of addiction-risk groups among college students, focusing on self-control. Methods: A sample of 242 college students at K University in Seoul was recruited to participate in the study. A structured questionnaire composed of items for the self-rated smartphone addiction scale and self-control scale was used to collect data. Results: The number of students in smartphone addiction-risk group was 66 (27.3%). This study had 17.5% of the explanatory power, including perceived smartphone necessity (
- Kwon MS, Lam KW, Seo BK. A survey on internet addiction. Annal Report.: Ministry of Science ICT & Future Planning. 2014. Report No.: NIA V-RER-14112.
- Lim JM, Jang SJ, Kim MY, Lee JH. Survey on the mobile internet usage. Annal Report. Seoul: Korea Internet & Security Agency. 2014 [Cited 2015, July 29]. Available from: http://isis.kisa.or.kr/board/index.jsp?pageId=040000&bbsId=7&itemId=807&pageIndex=2
- Hwang HS, Sohn SH, Choi YJ. Exploring factors affecting smartphone addiction-characteristics of users and functional attributes. Korean Journal of Broadcasting. 2011;25(2):277-313.
- Eom SH, Choi SY, Park DH. An empirical study on relationship between symptoms of musculoskeletal disorders and amount of smartphone usage. Journal of Korea Safety Management & Science. 2013;15(2):113-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2013.15.2.113 https://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2013.15.2.113
- Kim DS, Che WS. Biomechanical analysis of a smartphone task with different postures. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics. 2012;22(2):253-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2012.22.2.253 https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2012.22.2.253
- Hwang KH, Yoo YS, Cho OH. Smartphone overuse and upper extremity pain, anxiety, depression, and interpersonal relationships among college students. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2012;12(10):365-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.10.365 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.10.365
- Park YM. A study on adults' smartphone addiction and mental health. [master's thesis]. Gangwon: Sangji University; 2011.
- Lemola S, Perkinson-Gloor N, Brand S, Dewald-Kaufmann JF, Grob A. Adolescents' electronic media use at night, sleep disturbance, and depressive symptoms in the smartphone age. Journal of Youth and Adolescence. 2015;44(2):405-18. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10964-014-0176-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-014-0176-x
- Kim MJ, Lyoum YE, Jeon JE, Jo HJ, Choy SM, Gye HM, et al. Relationship between smartphone addiction, anxiety, and quality of sleep among undergraduate students. Journal of the Nursing Academic Association of Ewha Womans University. 2014;48:99-112.
- Choi HS, Lee HK, Ha JC. The influence of smartphone addiction and mental health, campus life and personal relations-focusing on K university students. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society. 2012;23(5):1005-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.5.1005 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.5.1005
- Lm JG, Hwang SJ, Choi MI, Seo NR, Byun JN. The correlation between smartphone addiction and psychiatric symptoms in college students. Journal of Korean Society of School Health. 2013;26(2):124-31.
- Kim BY, Suh KH. Mobile phone and internet game addiction, and stress responses of high school students: the mediating effect of sleep deprivation. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2012;17(2):385-98. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.2.007
- Ju SJ. The effects of smart phone addiction on university students adaptation to school life: focusing on the moderating effect of self control. Forum for Youth Culture. 2015;42:98-127.
- Cho MK. The relationships among smart phone use motivations, addiction, and self-control in nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2014;12(5):311-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.311 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.311
- Kim HS. Model development of affecting factors on health behavior and juvenile delinquency of adolescents. [dissertation]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 1998.
- Nam CY. The relationship between individual characteristics and internet, and mobile phone addiction in college students. Studies on Korean Youth. 2011;22(4):5-32.
- Kim BN, Ko EJ, Choi HG. A study on factors affecting smartphone addiction in university students: a focus on differences in classifying risk groups. Studies on Korean Youth. 2013;24(3):67-98.
- Kim JH, Kim KS. The relationship of psychological variances and internet addiction tendency, cyber-related delinquency in adolescence. Journal of Adolescent Welfare. 2003;5(1):85-97.
- An S. A study on the addictive usage of the internet. [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2000.
- Kim BN, Choi HI. Effects of study over protective parent's raising attitude on university student's smartphone-addiction: the mediating effects of self-control. Social Science Research Review. 2013;29(1):1-25.
- Shin KW, Kim DI, Jeong YJ. Development of Korean smartphone addiction proneness scale for youth and adults. Seoul: National Information Society Agency; 2011.
- Nam HM, Ok SW. The effects of psychological family environment, self-control and friends characteristics of middle school students on their problem behaviors. Family and Environment Research. 2001;39(7):37-58.
- Gottffedson M, Hirschi T. A general theory of crime. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press; 1990.
- Mok JY, Choi SW, Kim DJ, Choi JS, Lee J, Ahn H, et al. Latent class analysis on internet and smartphone addiction in college students. Neuropsychiatr Disease and Treatment. 2014;20(10):817-28. http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/NDT.S59293
- Jeong ES, Son CN. Effects of mindfullness-based cognitive therapy on internet addiction level, anxiety, and stress of college student. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2011;30(3):723-45. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2011.30.3.006
- Jeong SR, Yu HK, Nam SI. Development of a group counseling program to prevent addiction to smart-phones in a potential risk group of middle school students. Korean Journal of Counseling. 2014;15(3):1145-62. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.15.3.201406.1145