- Volume 27 Issue 6
Purpose: This study was aimed to clarify the concept of ego-resiliency in the context of nursing and to propose a definition of ego-resiliency. Methods: Rodgers' evolutionary approach to concept analysis was used to identify common attributes, antecedents, and consequences of the term ego-resiliency. A literature search of the RISS, NDSL, NAL, CINAHL, PubMed, MEDLINE, PsycINFO, and Scopus databases from 1980 to 2014 was conducted, using the key words of ego-resiliency, ego-resilience, and ego-resilient. Thirty-four relevant articles and one book were finally selected and throughly reviewed. Results: The results of the concept analysis concluded that ego-resiliency was a individualized, integrated, and coping resource and capacity leading personal adaptive capacity including physical, psychological, social well being in various adversity and challenge of life. Conclusion: The findings of this study warranted nursing research on a development of nursing intervention related with ego-resiliency as a pivotal personal characteristic. By doing so, better understanding of human and health within the context of nursing could be achieved.
- Alessandri G, Vecchio GM, Steca P, Caprara MG, Caprara GV. A revised version of kremen and block's ego resiliency scale in an italian sample. Testing, Psychometrics, Methodology in Applied Psychology. 2007;14(3-4):165-83.
- Klohnen EC. Conceptual analysis and measurement of the construct of ego-resiliency. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1996;70(5):1067-78. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2067
- Farkas D, Orosz G. Ego-resiliency reloaded: a three-component model of general resiliency. PLoS One. 2015;10(3):1-26.
- Luthar SS, Cicchetti D, Becker B. The construct of resilience: a critical evaluation and guidelines for future work. Child Development. 2000;71(3):543-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00164
- Philippe FL, Laventure S, Beaulieu-Pelletier G, Lecours S, Lekes N. Ego-resiliency as a mediator between childhood trauma and psychological symptoms. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology. 2011;30(6):583-98. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.2011.30.6.583
- Block J, Kremen AM. IQ and ego-resiliency: conceptual and empirical connections and separateness. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1996;70(2):349-61. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.119
- Vanderbilt-Adriance E, Shaw DS. Conceptualizing and reevaluating resilience across levels of risk, time, and domains of competence. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review. 2008;11(1-2):30-58. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10567-008-0031-2
- Lee AS, Yoon CK, Park JK. Effects of social support and egoresilience on nursing performance of hospital nurses. Korean Academic Society of Occupational Health Nursing. 2012;21(3):283-9. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.283
- Cho O-H, Hwang K-H. The influences between new nurses' nursing performance, emotional intelligence, self-resiliency and core self-evaluation. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2014;14(7):291-301. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.291
- Cho HJ, Jung MS. Effect of empathy, resilience, self-care on compassion fatigue in oncology nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2014;20(4):373-82. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.4.373
- Yun S-Y, Min S-H. Influence of ego-resilience and spiritual well-being on college adjustment in major of nursing student. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2014;12(12):395-403.
- Ji EJ, Bang MR, Jeon HJ. Ego resilience, communication ability and problem-solving ability in nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2013;19(4):571-9. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.571
- Park W-J, Han JY. The effect of ego-resilience, stress coping styles, teaching, effectiveness, and family support on satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students by AMOS structural equation model. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2011;17(3):365-75. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.365
- Klohnen EC, Vandewater EA, Young A. Negotiating the middle years: ego-resiliency and successful midlife adjustment in women. Psychology and Aging. 1996;11(3):431-42. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-7918.104.22.1681
- Kim MH, Kim SH. Development of an ego-resilience scale for middle school students. The Korea Journal of Counseling. 2010;11(1):189-206. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.11.1.201003.189
- Rodgers BL. Concept analysis: an evolutionary view. In: Rodgers BL, Knafl KA, editors. Concept development in nursing: foundations, techniques, and applications. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2000. p. 77-102.
- Block JH, Block J. The role of ego-control and ego-resiliency in the organization of behavior. In: Development of cognition, affect, and social relations: L. Erlbaum Associates; 1980.
- Winkler A. Resilience as reflexivity: a new understanding for work with looked-after children. Journal of Social Work Practice, 2014;28(4):461-78. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02650533.2014.896784 https://doi.org/10.1080/02650533.2014.896784
- Chuang SS, Lamb ME, Hwang CP. Personality development from childhood to adolescence: a longitudinal study of egocontrol and ego-resiliency in Sweden. International Journal of Behavioral Development. 2006;30(4):338-43. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165025406072795
- Vecchione M, Alessandri G, Barbaranelli C, Gerbino M. Stability and change of ego resiliency from late adolescence to young adulthood: a multiperspective study using the ER89-R scale. Journal of Personality Assessment. 2010;92(3):212-21. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223891003670166
- Block J, Block JH. Venturing a 30-year longitudinal study. American Psychologist. 2006;61(4):315-27. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.61.4.315
- Pals JL. Identity consolidation in early adulthood: relations with ego-resiliency, the context of marriage, and personality change. Journal of Personality. 1999;67(2):295-329. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-6494.00057
- Block JH, Block J. The role of ego-control and ego-resiliency in the organization of behavior. In: Collins WA editor. Development of cognition, affect, and social relations. 2nd ed. New York: Psychology Press; 2009. p. 39-101.
- Milioni M, Alessandri G, Eisenberg N, Vecchione M, Caprara GV. The predictive role of ego-resiliency on behavioural problems. European Journal of Developmental Psychology. 2015;12(2):220-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/17405629.2014.998194
- Suh KH, An JS, Kim G. The moderating effect of ego-resilience on parentification and subjective well-being of high school students. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2012;17(4):1027-43. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.4.015
- Swanson J, Valiente C, Lemery-Chalfant K, O'Brien TC. Predicting early adolescents' academic achievement, social competence, and physical health from parenting, ego resilience, and engagement coping. Journal of Early Adolescence. 2011;31(4):548-76. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431610366249
- Utsey S, Hook J, Fischer N, Belvet B, Utsey SO, Hook JN, et al. Cultural orientation, ego resilience, and optimism as predictors of subjective well-being in African Americans. The Journal of Positive Psychology. 2008;3(3):202-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/17439760801999610
- Taylor ZE, Sulik MJ, Eisenberg N, Spinrad TL, Silva KM, Lemery-Chalfant K, et al. Development of ego-resiliency: relations to observed parenting and polymorphisms in the serotonin transporter gene during early childhood. Social Development. 2014;23(3):433-50. https://doi.org/10.1111/sode.12041
- Taylor ZE, Eisenberg N, Spinrad TL, Eggum ND, Sulik MJ. The relations of ego-resiliency and emotion socialization to the development of empathy and prosocial behavior across early childhood. Emotion. 2013;13(5):822-31. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0032894
- Smeekens S, Marianne Riksen-Walraven J, van Bakel HJA. Cortisol reactions in five-year-olds to parent-child interaction: the moderating role of ego-resiliency. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2007;48(7):649-56. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2007.01753.x
- Gjerde PF, Block J, Block JH. Egocentrism and ego resiliency: personality characteristics associated with perspective-taking from early childhood to adolescence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1986;51(2):423-34. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- Letzring TD, Block J, Funder DC. Ego-control and egoresiliency: generalization of self-report scales based on personality descriptions from acquaintances, clinicians, and the self. Journal of Research in Personality. 2005;39(4):395-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2004.06.003
- Song JE, Ahn JA. Effect of intervention programs for improving maternal adaptation in Korea: systematic review. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2013;19(3):129-41. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.3.129
- Park CS. Factors influencing on burnout experience in working nurses at hospital. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2002;8(4):550-8.
- Kwon KJ, Lee S-H. Occupational stress and coping styles as factors affecting the burnout of clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2012;18(4):383-93. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.383