- Volume 7 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Self-Reporting Voice Evaluations between Professional and Non-Professional Voice Users with Voice Disorders by Severity and Type
음성장애가 있는 직업적 음성사용자와 비직업적 음성사용자의 음성장애 중증도와 유형에 따른 자기보고식 음성평가 차이
- Received : 2015.10.26
- Accepted : 2015.12.10
- Published : 2015.12.31
The purpose of this study was to compare professional (Pro) and non-professional (Non-pro) voice users with voice disorders in self-reporting voice evaluation using Korean-Voice Handicap Index (K-VHI) and Korean-Voice Related Quality of Life (K-VRQOL). In addition, those were compared by voice quality and voice disorder type. 94 Pro and 106 Non-pro were asked to fill out the K-VHI and K-VRQOL, perceptually evaluated on GRBAS scales, and divided into three types of voice disorders (functional, organic and neurologic) by an experienced speech-language pathologist and an otolaryngologist. The results showed that the functional (F) and physical (P) scores of K-VHI in Pro group were significantly higher than those in Non-pro group. As the voice quality evaluated by G scale got worse, the scores of all aspects except emotional (E) of K-VHI and social-emotional (SE) of K-VRQOL were higher. All scores of K-VHI and K-VRQOL in neurologic voice disorders were significantly higher than those in functional and organic voice disorders. In conclusion, professional voice users are more sensitive to their functional and physical handicap resulted by their voice problems and that goes double for the patients with severe and neurologic voice disorders.
professional voice user;self-reporting voice evaluation;voice disorders;Korean-Voice Handicap Index (K-VHI);Korean-Voice Related Quality of Life (K-VRQOL)
- Martinello, J. G., Lauris, J. R. P., & Brasolotto, A. G. (2011). Psychometric assessments of life quality and voice for teachers within the municipal system in Bauru, SP, Brazi. Journal of Applied Oral Science, 19(6), 573-578. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1678-77572011000600006
- Niebudek-Bougusz, E., Woznicka, E., & Zamyslowska-Szmytke, E. (2010). Correlation between acoustic parameters and voice handicap index in dysphonic teachers. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 62, 55-60. https://doi.org/10.1159/000239064
- Thomas, G., Kooijman, P. G., Donders, A. R., Cremers, W. R., de Jong, F. I. (2007). The voice handicap of student-teachers and risk factors perceived to have a negative influence on the voice. Journal of Voice, 21(3), 325-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2005.12.003
- Timmermans, B., De Bodt, M. S., Wuyts, F. L., Boudewijns, A., Clement, G., Peeters, A., Van de Heynin, P. H. (2002). Poor voice quality in future elite vocal performers and professional voice users. Journal of Voice, 16(3), 372-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(02)00108-X
- Salturk, Z., Kumral, T. L., Aydogdu, A., Berkiten, G., Yildirim, G., Uyar, Y. (2015). Psychological effects of dysphonic in voice professionals. The Laryngoscope, 17, doi: 10.1002/laryn.25319. [Epub ahead of print]
- Van Houtte, E., Claeys, S., Wuyts, F., & Van Lierde, K. (2011). The impact of voice disorders among teachers: Vocal complaints, treatment-seeking behavior, knowledge of vocal care, and voice-related absenteeism. Journal of Voice, 25(5), 570-575. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2010.04.008
- Watson, N. A., Oakeshott, P., Kwame, I., & Rubin, J. S. (2013). A comparison of the voice handicap index-10 scores between medical and musical theater students. Journal of Voice, 27(1), 129.e21-129.e23.
- Song, Y. & Pyo, H. (2010). A preliminary study on voice symptoms and Korean Voice Handicap Index of speech language pathologist. Journal of the Korean Society of Speech Sciences, 2(2), 123-133. (송윤경, 표화영 (2010). 언어치료사의 음성증상 및 한국어판 음성장애지수에 대한 예비연구. 말소리와 음성과학, 2권 2호, 123-133.)
- Hong, J. & Hwang, Y. (2012). VHI, V-RQOL, and vocal characteristics of teacher and singer. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 13(7), 3048-3056. (홍주혜, 황영진 (2012). 교사 및 성악가의 VHI, V-RQOL, 음향학적 특성 비교. 한국산학기술학회논문지, 13권, 7호, 3048-3056.) https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.7.3048
- Marie, B. S., Natour, Y. S., & Hai-Tas, M. A. (2014). Jourdanian teachers' perceptions of voice handicap. Logopedics, phoniatrics, vocology, 39(2), 81-86. https://doi.org/10.3109/14015439.2013.821521
- Paoliello, K., Oliveira, G., Behlau, M. (2013). Singing voice handicap mapped by different self-assessment instruments. Codas, 25(5), 463-468. https://doi.org/10.1590/S2317-17822013005000008
- Yoo, J. Y., Hwang, Y. J., Han, J. Y., & Lee, O. B. (2014). Voice and Voice Disorders. Seoul: Sigma Press. (유재연, 황영진, 한지연, 이옥분 (2014). 음성과 음성치료. 서울: 시그마프레스)
- Hirano, M. (1981). Clinical examination of voice. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Jacobson, B. H., Johnson, A., Grywalski, C., Silbergleit, A., Jacobson, G., & Benninger, M. S. (1997). The voice handicap index (VHI): Development and validation. American Journal of Speech Language Pathology, 6, 66-70.
- Niebudek-Bogusz, E., Woznicka, E., Zamyslowska-Szmytke, E., & Sliwinska-Kowalska, M., (2010). Correlation between acoustic parameters and Voice Handicap Index in dysphonic teachers. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 62(1-2), 55-60. https://doi.org/10.1159/000239064
- Lee, E. J. (2015). A survey on the voice symptoms and vocal-health service related experience of occupational voice users. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(1), 397-405. (이은정 (2015). 직업적 음성사용자의 음성증상 및 '음성건강' 관련 서비스 인지도 조사. 디지털융복합연구, 13권 1호, 397-405.)
- Franco, R. A. & Andrus, J. G. (2007). Common diagnoses and treatments in professional voice users. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, 40(5), 1025-1061. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otc.2007.05.008
- Guss, J., Sadoughi, B., Benson, B., & Sulica, L. (2014). Dysphonia in performers: Towards a clinical definition of larynoglogy of the performing voice. Journal of Voice, 28(3), 349-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2013.10.004
- Wingate, J. M., Brown, W. S., Shrivastav, R., Davenport, P. & Sapienza, C. (2007). Treatment outcomes for professional voice users. Journal of Voice, 21(4), 433-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2006.01.001
- Sampaio, M. C., dos Reis, E. J., Carvalho, F. M., Porto, L. A., & Araujo, T. M. (2012). Vocal effort and voice handicap among teachers. Journal of Voice, 26(6), 820.e15-820.e18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2012.06.003
- Steen, I. N., MacKenzie, K., Carding, P. N., Webb, A., Deary, I. J., & Wilson, J. A. (2008). Optimizing outcome assessment of voice intervention, II: Sensitivity to change of self-reported and observer-rated measures. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 122, 46-51.
- Kim, J. & Choi, H. S. (2009). Comparison of Clinicians' Perceptual Evaluations and Patients' Subjective Evaluations of Voice Disorders. Korean Journal of Communication Disorders, 14(2), 223-235. (김재옥, 최홍식 (2009). 평가자의 청지각적 음성평가와 대상자의 주관적 음성평가 비교. 언어청각장애연구, 14권 2호, 223-235.)
- Kim, J., Choi, S., Lim, S., Choi, J., & Choi, H. (2007a). Comparison of patient's subjective rating scales for voice evaluation in professional voice users with vocal fold lesions. Proceedings of 81th Conference of Korean Society of Otolaryngology, 166. (김재옥, 최성희, 임성은, 최재남, 최홍식 (2007a). 전문직 음성 사용자의 주관적 음성평가도구간의 비교. 제 81회 대한이비인후과학회 학술대회 논문집, 166.)
- Castelblanco, L., Habib, M., Stein, D. J., de Quadros, A., & Cohen, S. M. (2014). Singing Voice Handicap and videostrobolaryngoscopy in healthy professional singers, Journal of Voice, 28(5), 608-613. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2014.03.003
- Cohen, S. M., Jacobson, B. H., Garrett, C. G., Noordzij, J. P., Stewart, M. G., Attia, A., Ossoff, R. H., & Cleveland, T. F. (2007). Creation and validation of the Singing Voice Handicap Index. The Annals of Otology, Rhinology, and Laryngology, 116(6), 402-406. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348940711600602
- Dassie-Liete, A. P., Delazeri, S., Baldissarelli, B., Weber, J., & de Lacerda Filho, L. (2014). Vocal self-assessment: relation with the type of instrument, gender, age, and profession in individuals without vocal complaints. Codas, 26(6), 531-534. https://doi.org/10.1590/2317-1782/20140000339
- Maertens, K. & de Jong, F. I. (2008). The voice handicap index as a tool for assesment of the biopsychosocial impact of voice problems. B-ENT, 3(2), 61-66.
- Koufman, J. A. (2003). "What are voice disorders and who gets them?" DOI:, http://speechpathology.com.
- Koufman, J. A. & Isaacson, G. (1991). The spectrum of vocal dysfunction. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, 24(5), 985-988.
- Pyo, H. Y. (2011). A qualitative study on voice use and evaluation of professional voice user patients. Korean Journal of Communication Disorders, 16, 346-359. (표화영 (2011). 직업적 음성사용인의 음성문제에 대한 질적 연구(1). 언어청각장애연구, 16권, 346-359.)
- Hogikyan, N. D., & Sethuraman, G. (1999). Validation of an instrument to measure voice-related quality of life (VRQOL). Journal of Voice, 13(4), 557-569. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(99)80010-1
- Kim, J., Lim, S. E., Park, S. Y., Choi, S. H., Choi, J. N., Choi, H. S. (2007b). Validity and reliability of Korean-Version of Voice Handicap Index and Voice-Related Quality of Life. Speech Sciences, 14(3), 111-125. (김재옥, 임성은 박선영, 최성희, 최재남, 최홍식 (2007b). 한국어판 음성장애지수와 음성관련 삶의 질의 타당도 및 신뢰도 연구. 음성과학, 14권 3호, 111-125.)
- Behlau, M., Zambon, F., Guerrieri, A. C., & Roy, N(2012). Epidemiology of voice disorders in teachers and nonteachers in Brazil: prevalence and adverse effects. Journal of Voice, 26(5), 665.e9-18.
- Houtte, E. V., Claeys, S., Wuyts, F., Van Lierde, K. (2011). The impact of voice disorders among teachers: Vocal complaints, treatment-seeking behavior, knowledge of vocal care, and voice-related absenteeism. Journal of Voice, 25(5), 570-575. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2010.04.008
- Korea Ministry of Health & Welfare reports. (2014). Warning sign for vocal health, "vocal nodule." www.129.go.kr/news/news02_view.jsp?n=7884. (국민건강보험 보도자료 (2014). 목소리 건강의 적신호 "성대결절.") www.129.go.kr/news/news02_view.jsp?n=7884.)
- Ohlsson, A. C., Andersson, E. M., Sodersten, M., Simberg, S., Claesson, S., Barregard, L. (2015). Voice Disorders in Teacher Students-A Prospective Study and a Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Voice, pii: S0892-1997(15)00204-0. doi: 10.1016, Epub ahead of print.
- Guzman, M., Barros, M., Espinoza, F., Herrera, A., Parra, D., Munoz, D., & Lloyd, A. (2013). Laryngoscopic, acoustic, perceptual, and functional assessment of voice in rock singers. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 65(5), 248-256. https://doi.org/10.1159/000357707
- Rosen, C. A. & Murry, T. (2000). Voice Handicap Index in singers. Journal of Voice, 14(3), 370-377. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(00)80082-X
- Korean Version of the Voice Activity and Participation Profile (K-VAPP): A Validation Study vol.21, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12963/csd.16348
Supported by : 강남대학교