- Volume 7 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Short and Long Syllables of Sino-Korean Words Produced by College Students with Kyungsang Dialect
경상방언 대학생들이 발음한 국어 한자어 장단음 분석
- Received : 2015.11.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.12
- Published : 2015.12.31
The initial syllables of a pair of Sino-Korean words are generally differentiated in their meaning by either short or long durations. They are realized differently by the dialect and generation of speakers. Recent research has reported that the temporal distinction has gradually faded away. The aim of this study is to examine whether college students with Kyungsang dialect made the distinction temporally using a statistical method of Mixed Effects Model. Thirty students participated in the recording of five pairs of Korean words in clear or casual speaking styles. Then, the author measured the durations of the initial syllables of the words and made a descriptive analysis of the data followed by applying Mixed Effects Models to the data by setting gender, length, and style as fixed effects, and subject and syllable as random effects, and tested their effects on the initial syllable durations. Results showed that college students with Kyungsang dialect did not produce the long and short syllables distinctively with any statistically significant difference between them. Secondly, there was a significant difference in the duration of the initial syllables between male and female students. Thirdly, there was also a significant difference in the duration of the initial syllables produced in the clear or casual styles. The author concluded that college students with Kyungsang dialect do not produce long and short Sino-Korean syllables distinctively, and any statistical analysis on the temporal aspect should be carefully made considering both fixed and random effects. Further studies would be desirable to examine production and perception of the initial syllables by speakers with various dialect, generation, and age groups.
Sino-Korean words;syllable length;long and short words;Kyungsang dialect;Mixed Effects Models
- Chung, Myungsook. (2002). Historical changes of Korean in speech data. In Korean Culture Research Center of Korea University (ed.). Spoken Language Data and Korean Study. Seoul: Wolin, pp. 68-159). (정명숙. (2002). 음성자료에 나타난 국어의 사적 변천. 고려대민족문화연구원 국어연구소편. 음성언어 자료와 국어 연구. 서울: 월인, pp. 68-159.)
- Chung, Myungsook & Hwang, Kukjung. (2000). An acoustical analysis of long and short vowels of Sino-Korean words(1). Eo Mun Lon Jip (Korean Language and Literature) 42, 285-299. (정명숙, 황국정. (2000). 국어 한자어의 장단음에 대한 실험음성학적 연구(1). 어문논집 42, 285-299.)
- Choi, Jinkeun. (1992). An analysis of phonological aspects of current broadcast language data. Taegu Eo Mun Lon Chong (Korean Language and Literature) 10, 155-205. (최진근. (1992). 방송언어에 나타난 음운현상 실태 연구. 대구어문론총 10, 155-205.)
- Kim, Sunju. (2000). A study of prosodic changes according to generational rhythmic difference. Proceedings in March, 2000 by The Korean Society of Phonetic Sciences and Speech Technology, 198-204. (김선주. (2000). 세대간 장단 차이에 따른 운율 변화 연구. 대한음성학회 2000년도 3월 학술대회지, 198-204.)
- Kim, Sungkyu, Choi, Hyewon & Han, Sungwoo. (2008). Broadcast pronunciation. Seoul: Communication Books. (김성규, 최혜원, 한성우. (2008). 방송발음. 서울: 커뮤니케이션 북스.)
- Lee, Soongnyung. (1961). Middle Korean grammar. Seoul: Eulyoomunhwasa. (이숭녕. (1961). 중세국어문법. 서울: 을유문화사.)
- Nam, Kitak. (2012). A survey of sound length of Sino-Korean words in Modern Korean. Journal of Korean Linguistics 64, 35-63. (남기탁. (2012). 국어 한자어 장단음의 발음 양상. 국어학 64, 35-63.)
- Park, Jukyung. (1987). A study of long and short syllables of Modern Korean. Malsori 11, 121-131. (박주경. (1987). 현대 한국어의 장단음에 관한 연구. 말소리 11, 121-131.)
- Bates, D.M., Maechler, M., & Bolker, B. (2012). lme4: Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999999-0.
- R. Core Team. (2015). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- Winter, B. (2013). Linear models and linear mixed effects models in R with linguistic applications. arXiv:1308.5499. [http://arxiv.org/pdf/1308.5499.pdf]