- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Parametric Study on Displacement of Earth Retaining Wall by the Bermed Excavation Using Back Analysis
역해석을 통한 소단굴착에 따른 흙막이 벽체변위의 매개변수 연구
- Received : 2015.09.30
- Accepted : 2015.10.26
- Published : 2015.12.30
Together with the wall stiffness, a berm has the role of deciding the stability of a temporary retaining wall before structure installation after excavation. Especially in case of loose or soft soil excavated ground, the role of berm is very important. In this study, the measurement data obtained from the temporary retaining wall in the bermed excavation site in urban and numerical analysis are used to investigate the effects of berm's dimension (width and slope), excavation depth and ground property on the maximum horizontal displacement of the temporary retaining wall. The measurement data indicated that the wall displacement varied to the berm's width. That is, as the berm width decreased, the wall displacement increased. As a result of numerical analyses, the maximum wall displacement increased as slope increased and berm width decreased. This means that the berm is effectively restrained to the wall displacement. As excavation depth increased, the effect of berm's slope and width increased. In case of the same berm condition, the wall displacement restrained as ground property increased.
Berm;excavation;temporary retaining wall;maximum lateral displacement;soil property
- Cho, H. R. (1997), Effect of Berm Size on Displacement of Retention Wall, Master Thesis, Dankook University, pp.49.
- Clough, G.W. and Denby, G.M. (1977), "Stabilizing Berm Design for Temporary Walls in Clay", J. of Geotech. Eng. Div., ASCE, Vol.103, No.G2, pp.75-90.
- Clough, G.W. and O'Rourke, T.D. (1990), "Construction Induced Movements of Insitu Walls, Design and Performance of Earth Retaining Structures", Geotechnical Special Publication No.25, ASCE, pp.455-456.
- Hong, W.-P., Yun, J.-M. and Song, Y.-S. (2000), "Earth Retaining Structure Using a Row of piles during Shallow Excavation in Soft Clay", Journal of The Korean Geotechnical Society, Vo1.16, No.1, pp.191-201.
- Ishii, Y., Miyazaki, K. and Mori, M. (1994), "Effect of Remained Slope on the Behavior of Earth Retaining Structure", 29th Conference of Geotechnical Engineering Research in Japan, pp.1699-1700.
- Ko, Y.I., Kwon, Y.H. and Park, S.Y. (1997), "Effective Use of Stabilizing Berm for Excavation in Urban Area", Spring conference of Korean Geotechnical Society, pp.81-89.
- Korean Geotechnical Society (2002), Excavation and Retaining Wall Methods, Goomibook, pp.608-628.
- Kwanglim Engineering Co. Ltd. (2014), 1st Construction Site of Sanseong Tunnel Access Road(Gumjeong side), Soil Investigation Report, pp.1-30.
- Kwanglim Engineering Co. Ltd. (2015), 1st Construction Site of Sanseong Tunnel Access Road(Gumjeong side), Monthly Measurement Report, pp.34-36.
- Liao, H.J. and Lin, C.C. (2009), "Case Studies on Bermed Excavation in Taipei Silty Soil", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.46, No.8, pp.889-902. https://doi.org/10.1139/T09-034
- Liu, S.J., Wan, D.Y. and Liu, J. (2012), "Study on the Environmental Effects of Earth Berm in Deep Excavation", Advanced Materials Research, Vol.485, pp.177-180. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.485.177
- Park, E.K. and Kim, T.-H. (2015), "Report of the Causes of Tensile Crack near Centum Sky Biz Building Construction Site and Countermeasure", Korean Society of Civil Engineers-Busan, Ulsan, Kyoungnam Branch, pp.47.
- Park, S.J. and Sho, K.H. (2013), "Study on Top-Down Method Applied with the Independence of Slurry Wall and Berm", Journal of the architectural institute of Korea : Structure & construction, Vol.29 No.6, pp.105-112.
- Potts, D.M., Addenbrooke, T.I. and Day, R.A. (1993), "The Use of Soil Berms for Temporary Support of Retaining Walls", Conference on Retaining Structures, Thomas Telford, pp.440-447.
- Seong, J. H., Jung, S. H. and Shin, J.Y. (2011), "A Study for Safety Management on Ground Excavation by Analysis of Accident Events", Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance Inspection, Vol.15, No.6, pp.175-183.
- Wu, Z.Y. and Duan, Z.Y. (2014), "Analysis of Earth Berm on the Impact of Cantilever Retaining Structure Based on ABAQUS", Advanced Materials Research, Vol.1065-1069, pp.3-6. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.1065-1069.3
- Yang, K.-S. and Park, K.-T. (1999). "The Efficient Berms for Restraining Excessive Deformation Caused by Deep Excavation in Urban Area", Journal of The Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.15, No.4, pp.43-56.
- Yang, S.I.(2000), Numerical Study on the Berm Effects to the Displacement of Earth Wall during Deep Excavation, Master Thesis, Yensei University, pp.68
- Ying, S.B. (2010), "Research of Earth Berm and the Simplified Analysis", Advanced Materials Research, Vol.129-131, pp. 1415-1420. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.129-131.1415
- Youssef, Y. G. (2003), Stabilizing Berm for Earth Retaining Structures, MSC. Thesis, Cairo University, pp.211.