- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Correlation among Various Compaction Evaluation Methods for Estimating of the Bearing Capacity on Subgrades
노상토의 지지력 평가를 위한 다짐평가기법의 상관성 분석
- Lee, Joonyong (Geotechnical Engineering Research Institute, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Jeoung, Jae-Hyeung (Geotechnical Engineering Research Institute, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Choi, Changho (Geotechnical Engineering Research Institute, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Kim, Jin-Young (Geotechnical Engineering Research Institute, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Jin, Hyunwoo (Department of Geospace Engineering, Korea University of Science & Technology)
- Received : 2015.08.20
- Accepted : 2015.11.09
- Published : 2015.12.30
Even though the plate bearing test (PBT) to evaluate the load baring capacity and the field density test to evaluate the relative density are mainly used for quality control of soil compaction in Korea, use of the dynamic cone penetrometer test (DCPT) and the dynamic plate bearing test (DPBT) considering economic feasibility, rapidity, and suitability for field conditions increase to use for quality control of soil compaction. In this study, bearing capacity and relative density of subgrade with thickness of 20 cm, 30 cm, and 40 cm are estimated using PBT, DCPT, DPBT and field density test in three field compaction tests, and the relationship among various compaction evaluation methods is analyzed and discussed.
Grant : Research on Amendment of Construction Standards for Budget Reductions
Supported by : Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport
- An, J. H., Yang, S. L., Park, H. M. and Kwon, S. W. (2004). "Application of the Dynamic Cone Peneterometer for Strength Estimation of Pavement Foundation", Journal of Korean Society of Road Engineers, Vol.6, No.3, pp.17-26.
- American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) (2015). Standard Test Method for Use of the Dynamic Cone Penetrometer in Shallow Pavement Applications, In ASTM D 6951:2015.
- De Beer, M. (1990), "Use of Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP) in the Design of Road Structures", Geotechnics in African Environment, Blight et al., eds, Balkema, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, pp.167-176.
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) (2002), Geogauge Pooled Fund Study Documents, www.tdcfiles.com.
- Harison, J. A. (1989). "In-situ CBR Determination by DCP Testing Using a Laboratory based Correlation", Australian Road Research, Vol.19, pp.313-317.
- Kim, B. I., Jeon, S. I. and, Lee, M. S. (2006). "Comparison of Field Bearing Capacity Tests to Evaluate the Field Application of Dynamic Cone Penetrometer Test", Journal of Korean Society of Road Engineers, Vol.8, No.4, pp.75-85.
- Kim, U. G., Cho, S. D., Park, B. G. and Kim, J. (2013). "Strength Characterisitics of the Anti-Washout Grout Mixed with Coase Fill Material", Journal of Korean Geosynthetics Society, Vol.13, No.2, pp.25-33.
- Kim, U. G., Zhuang, L. and Lee, K. W. (2014). "Development of Advanced Dynamic Cone Penetration Test Apparatus and Its Application Performance Evaluation", Journal of Korean Geosynthetics Society, Vol.13, No.4, pp.119-131. https://doi.org/10.12814/jkgss.2014.13.4.119
- Kleyn, E. G. (1975). The Use of The Dynamic Cone Penetrometer(DCP), Report 2/74. Transvaal Road Department.
- Korea Industrial Standards (KS) (2000). Method for Plate Load Test on Soils for Road, In KS F 2310:2000.
- Korea Industrial Standards (KS) (2001). Test Method for Soil Density by the Sand Replacement Method, In KS F 2311:2001.
- Korea Industrial Standards (KS) (2001). Test Method for Soil Compaction Using a Rammer, In KS F 2312:2001.
- Livneh, M., Ishal and Livneh, N. (1993). Effect of Vertica Confinement on Dynamic Cone Penetrometer Strength Values in Pavement and Subgrade Evaluations, Transportation Research Recoard 1473, Highway Research Board, National Research Council, Washing D.C.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT) (2009), Road Transport Standard Specification.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT) (2011), Provisional Guide of Compaction Control for Pavement Foundation.
- Oh, H. J., Lee, B. J., Lee, J. K. and Oh, S. U. (2009), "Relationship between the DCPT and the SPT", Korean Geo-Environmental Conference, pp.132-135.
- Park, S. W., Lim Y. J. and Park, G. S. (2007), "Compaction Technique of Pavement Foundation and Management Standard", Road Engineers, Vol.9, No.1, pp.12-17.
- Park, K. B. and Kim, J. H. (2012). "Application of the New Degree of Compaction Evaluation Method", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.28, No.2, pp.5-14. https://doi.org/10.7843/kgs.2012.28.2.5
- Youn, I. and Oh. S. (2013). "Estimate of the Bearing Capacity on Subbase and Subgrade with Dynamic Plate Bearing Test", Journal of the Korean Geo-Environmental Society, Vol.14, No.8, pp.53-60. https://doi.org/10.14481/jkges.2013.14.12.053