- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Assessment of pH Variation for Neutralized Acidic Areas using Lysimeters by Seasons
라이시미터를 이용한 중화처리된 산성화경사지의 계절별 pH 용탈특성 평가
Oh, Seungjin;Oh, Minah;Park, Chan-O;Jung, Munho;Lee, Jai-Young
- Received : 2015.09.30
- Accepted : 2015.11.19
- Published : 2015.12.30
Korean territories has formed about 70% of mountainous areas that have acidified serious level to average pH 4-5. There are a number of abandoned metal mines about 1,000 in Korea. However, mine tailings and waste rock included heavy metals are exposed to long-term environment without prevention facility or treatment system. Thus, ongoing management and monitoring of soil environment are required. Most of abandoned mine scattered in forest areas of slopes. Soil erosion due to continuous rainfall in the slopy areas can cause the secondary pollution by the influence eutrophication of water system and the productivity loss of the plant. Therefore, this study would like to estimate pH leaching rate by artificial rainfall using waste neutralization-agent in lysimeter. Moreover, the potentially of secondary pollution related to precipitation is figured out through the experiments, and the optimal planting methods would examinate after neutralizing treatment in soil. Experiments composed three kinds of lysimeter; lysimeter 1 had filled only acidic soil, lysimeter 2 had neutralized soil, and lysimeter 3 had planting plants after neutralized soil. In the results, lysimeter 2 showed the lowest pH leaching, and there is not specific relativity with pH leaching of the seasonal characteristics.
Soil neutralization;Lysimeter;Season;pH leaching
- Choi, B.-S., Lim, E.-J., Choi, Y.-B., Choi, J.-D., Joo, J.-H., Yang, J.-U. and Ok, Y.-S. (2009), "Applicability of PAM (Polyacrylamide) in Soil Erosion Prevention: Rainfall Simulation Experiments", Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, Vol.28, No.3, pp.249-257 https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2009.28.3.249
- Choi, J.-D., Lee, C.-M. and Kim, D.-H. (1998), "Groundwater and small stream Water Quality Changes of Rural Wastersheds in Kangwon-do", Proc. of the Fall Conference on Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers, Korea, pp.558-564.
- Choi, J.-D., Park, J.-S., Kim, J.-J., Yang, J.-U., Jung, Y.-S., and Yun, S.-Y. (2000), "Soil Quality Assessment for Environmentally Sound Agriculture in the Mountainous Soils -Analysis of Sediment Data and Suggestion of Best Management Practices-", Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, Vol.19, No.3, pp.201-205.
- Choi, Y.-B., Choi, B.-S., Kim, S.-W., Lee, S.-S. and Ok, Y.-S. (2010), "Effects of Polyacrylamide and Biopolymer on Soil Erosion and Crop Productivity in Sloping Uplands: A Field Experiment", Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, Vol.32, No.11, pp.1024-1029.
- Clark, E. H., Haverkamp, J. A. and Chapman, W. (1985), Eroding soils: the off-farm impacts, Conservation Foundation, Washington, DC, USA.
- Lim, S.-M., Lee, D.-H. and Park, B.-Y. (2004), "Correlations between Soil Acidification and Leaching of Inorganic Salts", J. Korean Soc. Hygienic Sciences, Vol.10, No.2, pp.125-135.
- Myers, N., (1993), Gaia: An Atlas of Planet Management, Anchor/Doubleday, Garden City, NY, USA.
- Nyle C. B. and Ray R. W. (2010), Element of THE NATURE AND PROPERTIES OF SOILS, Third Edition, Practice Hall, pp.328.
- Oh, S.-J., Cho, M.-H., Park, C.-O., Jung, M.-H. and Lee, J.-Y. (2012), "A Study on the Development of Soil Neutralizing-agent using Waste Materials (Waste-lime, Oyster, Bottom-ash)", J. of Soil & Groundwater Env., Vol.17, No.6, pp.92-101. https://doi.org/10.7857/JSGE.2012.17.6.101
- Ok, Y.-S., Lim, S. and Kim, J.-G. (2002) "Electrochemical properties of soils: principles and applications", Life Science and Natural Resources Research, Vol.10, pp.69-84.
- Ok, Y.-S., Yang, J.-E., Park, Y.-H., Jung, Y.-S., Yoo, K.-Y. and Park, C.-S. (2005), Framework on soil quality indicator selection and assessment for the sustainable soil management, J. Environ. Policy, 4th edition, pp.69-87.
- Park, B.-Y., Uh, Y.-W., Yang, S.-Y., Jang, S.-M., Kim, J.-H. and Lee, D.-H. (2001), "A Study on the Acidification of Soils", J. of the Korean Environmental Sciences Society, Vol.10, No.4, pp.305-310.
- Pimentel, D., Harvey, C., Resosudarmo, P., Sinclair, K., Kurz, D., McNair, M., Crist, S., Shpritz, L., Fitton, L., Saffouri, R. and Blair, R. (1995), "Environmental and economic costs of soil erosion and conservation benefits," Sci., Vol.267, pp. 1117-1123. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.267.5201.1117
- Ryu, J.-S. (2013), Characteristics of soil loss and environmental load in slope upland of highland with different rainfall condition, Ph.D Thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejon, Korea.
- Sharpley, A. N. and Halvorson, A. D. (1994). "The Management of Soil Phosphorous availability and its Impact on Surface Water Quality In R. Lal and B. A. Steward (eds.)", Soil Processes and Water Quality (part of the series, Advance in Soil Science). Boca Raton, FL: Lewis publishers.
- Yang, J.-U., Ok, Y.-S. and Park, Y.-H. (2007), "Ecology engineering forest restoration for mine damage area", Mine reclamation Technique, Vol.1, No.1, pp.67-75.
- Zhang, S., Wang, S., Shan, X.-Q, and Mu, H. (2004), "Influence of lignin from paper mill sludge on soil properties and metal accumulation in wheat", Biology and Fertility of Soils, Vol. 40, No.4, pp.237-242.
Grant : Development of acid soil neutralization and amelioration technology
Supported by : Korea Mine Reclamation Corporation