- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Reliability of Strain Gauge Measurements for Geosynthetics
토목섬유 보강재에 적용한 스트레인게이지 실측값의 신뢰성 평가
Cho, Sam-Deok;Lee, Kwang-Wu;Li, Zhuang;Kim, Uk-Gie
- Received : 2015.10.09
- Accepted : 2015.11.20
- Published : 2015.12.30
Geosynthetics are widely used in different ways such as reinforcement of structures in road, railway, harbor and dam engineering, drainage, separation and erosion prevention. They are especially applied to reinforced retaining wall and slope or ground reinforcement. Recently, geosynthetics reinforced pile supported (GRPS) embankment was developed to improve stability and construability of embankments in railway engineering. Extension strains are usually measured by strain gauges adhered to geosynthetics to evaluate the stability of geosynthetics. However, the measurements are influenced by manufacturing method and stiffness of geosynthetics and also adherence of strain gauge. In this study, wide-width tensile strength tests were performed on three types of geosynthetics including geogrid, woven geotextile and non-woven geotextile. During the test, strains of geosynthetics were measured by both video extensometer and strain gauges adhered to the geosynthetics and the measured results were compared. Results show that the measured results by strain gauges have high reliability in case of large stiffness geosythetics like geogrid and woven geotextile, whereas they have very low reliability for small stiffness geosythetics like non-woven geotextile.
Geosynthetics;Wide-width tensile test;Tensile strain;Strain gauge;Reliability
- Boyle, S. R. (1995), "Deformation prediction of geosynthetic reinforced soil retaining walls", PhD. dissertation, Univ. of Washington, USA, pp.391.
- Cho, S.-D., Lee, K.-W., Lee, H.-Y. and Chang, K.-S. (2006), "A case study on behavior of high-raised reinforced soil wall", Journal of the Korean geosynthetics society, Vol.5, No.4, pp.1-8.
- Huang, C.-C. (1998), "Investigation of the local strains in a geosynthetic composite", Geotextiles & Geomembranes, Vol.16, pp.175-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-1144(98)00008-9
- Kim, Y.-S. and Won, M.-S. (2001), "An experimental study on the deformation properties assessment method of geosynthetic reinforcements", Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.21, No.3-C, pp.243-255.
- Koerner, R. M. (1996), "The state of the practice regarding in-situ monitoring of geosynthetics", Proc. of 1st European Geosynthetics Conference, Netherlands, pp.77-86.
- Lee, K.-W., Cho, S.-D., Han, J.-G., Hong, K.-K. and Lee, J.-Y. (2009), "Reliability of tensile strains in the various geogrids measured by strain gauge", Proc. of the Fall 2009 Geosynthetics Conference, Sunchon, Korea, pp.59-67.
- Leshchinsky, D. and Fowler, J. (1990), "Laboratory measurement of load-elongation relationship of high strength geotextiles", Geotextiles & Geomembranes, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 145-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-1144(90)90011-Z
- Sluimer, G. and Risseeuw, P. (1982), "A strain-gauge technique for measuring deformation in geotextile", Proc. of 2nd International Conf. on Geotextiles, Las Vegas, USA, pp.835-838.
- Won, M.-S., Kim, Y.-S., Kim, H.-J. and Park, B.-S. (2007), "A study of the measurement of nonwoven geotextile deformation with strain gauges", Journal of the Korean geotechnical society, Vol.23, No.4, pp.25-32.
- Yoo, C.-S., Kim, S.-B., Byun, J., Kim, Y.-H. and Han, D.-H. (2006), "Behavior of geosynthetic reinforced modular block walls under sustained loading using reduced-scale model test", Journal of the Korean geosynthetics society, Vol.5, No.1, pp.1-7.