- Volume 14 Issue 4
When carrying out design for soft ground improvement before reclamation of dredged soil, it is very important to appropriately evaluate design parameters such as compression index and undrained strength in order to estimate optimum construction cost. In this study, consolidation and strength parameters were estimated by the samples obtained from the similar reclaimed land. Water content and compression index of dredged soil reclaimed by hydraulic fill method were quite decreased in comparison with those of in-situ conditions at Incheon site. Relationships between compression index(Cc) and water content (wn), and between undrained strength (su) and water content (wn) for dredged soil were obtained by field vane test and oedometer test, respectively. Applicability of Schmertmann correction method (compression index) for low plasticity silty soil was discussed according to comparison with designed and measured settlements.
Dredged soil;Compression index;Undrained strength;Water content
- Kim Sangkwi, Yea Geuguwen, Kim, Kilsu, Kim, Honeyeon., (2011), Compression Characteristics among Western and Southern Coastal Marine Clays - Incheon.Mokpo.Gwangyang.Busan, Korean Geo-Environmental Society, Vol.12, No.6, pp. 43-51.
- Imai. G., (1980). Settling behavior of caly suspension, Soils and Foundations 20(2), pp.61-77.
- Egashira, K, Iwataki, K., Sato, T., Katagiri, M., and Yoshifuku, T. (2002), Predition and assessment of reclamation by dreged and marine clay, Journal of JSCE, No.715, III-60, pp.147-164.
- Samsung C&T. (2008). Report on geotechnical investigation, Container Terminal development project at Incheon new port, pp.40-53.
- Samsung C&T. (2014). Report on geotechnical investigation after dredged and reclamation and settlement monitoring, Container Terminal development project at Incheon new port, pp.88-93.
- Schmertmann J. H. (1953). Estimating the true consolidation behavior of clay from laboratory test results, Proceedings ASCE 79, pp.1-26.
- Terzaghi K. (1967). Soil mechanics in engineering practice, 2nd ed, Wiley, pp.72-83.
- Yano. K., (1985). Properties of very soft ground reclaimed by dredged marine clay and their prediction, Journal of Japanese society civil engineers 365(4), 1-14.