- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects and Improvement of Carbon Reduction by Greenspace Establishment in Riparian Zones
수변구역 조성녹지의 탄소저감 효과 및 증진방안
- Received : 2015.10.21
- Accepted : 2015.11.17
- Published : 2015.12.31
This study quantified storage and annual uptake of carbon for riparian greenspaces established in watersheds of four major rivers in South Korea and explored desirable strategies to improve carbon reduction effects of riparian greenspaces. Greenspace structure and planting technique in the 40 study sites sampled were represented by single-layered planting of small trees in low density, with stem diameter at breast height of
Carbon Storage;Carbon Uptake;Greenspace Structure;Planting Technique
- Binford, M. W. and R. J. Karty(2006) Riparian greenways and water resources. In P. C. Hellmund and D. S. Smith, eds., Designing Greenways. Washington, D.C.: Island Press. pp. 108-157.
- Birdsey, R. A.(1992) Methods to estimate forest carbon storage. In R. N. Sampson and D. Hair, eds., Forests and Global Change (Vol. 1). Washington, D.C.: An American Forests Publication. pp. 255-261.
- CAER(Center for Aquatic Ecosystem Restoration)(2014) Development of Technology to Establish Riparian Greenspace and Eco-belt. Ministry of Environment.
- Jo, H. K.(1999) Carbon uptake and emissions in urban landscape, and the role of urban greenspace for several cities in Kangwon province. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 27(1): 39-53.
- Jo, H. K.(2002) Impacts of urban greenspace on offsetting carbon emissions for middle Korea. Journal of Environmental Management 64: 115-126. https://doi.org/10.1006/jema.2001.0491
Jo, H. K. and D. H. Cho(1998) Annual
$CO_2$uptake by urban popular landscape tree species. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 26(2): 38-53.
- Jo, H. K., J. Y. Kim, and H. M. Park(2013) Carbon storage and uptake by evergreen trees for urban landscape-for Pinus densiflora and Pinus koraiensis. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 27(5): 571-578. https://doi.org/10.13047/KJEE.2013.27.5.571
- Jo, H. K., J. Y. Kim, and H. M. Park(2014) Carbon reduction effects of urban landscape trees and development of quantitative models-for five native species. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 42(5): 13-21.
- Jo, H. K. and T. W. Ahn(2000) Indicators of carbon storage and uptake by tree growth in natural ecosystem. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 14(3): 175-182.
- Jo, H. K. and T. W. Ahn(2001) Role of atmospheric purification by trees in urban ecosystem-in the case of Yongin. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 29(3): 38-45.
- Jo, H. K. and T. W. Ahn(2012) Carbon storage and uptake by deciduous tree species for urban landscape. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 40(5): 160-168. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2012.40.5.160
Jo, H. K. and T. W. Ahn(2013) Evaluation
$CO_2$storage and uptake by forest landscapes in the middle region of Korea. Journal of Environmental Science International 22(2): 139-149. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2013.22.2.139
- Kang, K. N., G. S. Park, S. J. Lee, H. G. Lee, and Y. T. Kim(2009) Carbon storages of Pinus densiflora and Quercus acutissima stands in Gongju, Chungnamprovince. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 12(6): 143-152.
- KEC(Korea Expressway Corporation)(2006) Illustrated Book for Landscape Plants. Seoul.
- KFRI(Korea Forest Research Institute)(2007) Survey Manual for Forest Biomass and Soil Carbon. Seoul.
- KFRI(Korea Forest Research Institute)(2010a) Greenhouse Gas Inventory of Urban Green Areas-in Case of Seoul Metropolis. Research Report 10-19.
- KFRI(Korea Forest Research Institute)(2010b) Carbon Emission Coefficients of Major Tree Species to Inventory Greenhouse Gases fromForests. Research Report 10-25.
- KFRI(Korea Forest Research Institute)(2012) Carbon Uptake of Major Tree Species in Korea. Research Report 14-15.
- KIAST(Korean Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology)(2000) Methods of Analysis for Soil and Plants. Suwon.
- KILA(Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture)(2013) Landscape Design Standards. Seoul.
- Lee, S. W., J. K. Byun, and S. H. Kim(2010) Carbon storage in forest floors and mineral soils, Korea. Proceedings of Korean Forest Society Conference. pp. 230-232.
- McPherson, E. G.(1998) Atmospheric carbon dioxide reduction by Sacramento's urban forest. Journal of Arboriculture 24(4): 215-223.
- McPherson, E. G. and J. R. Simpson(2000) Carbon Dioxide Reduction through Urban Forestry: Guidelines for Professional and Volunteer Tree Planters. General Technical Report PSW-GTR-171. Albany, CA: USDA Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station.
- Milne, R. and T. A. Brown(1997) Carbon in the vegetation and soils of Great Britain. Journal of Environmental Management 49: 413-433. https://doi.org/10.1006/jema.1995.0118
- Noss, R. F.(2006) Greenways as wildlife corridors. In P. C. Hellmund and D. S. Smith, eds., Designing Greenways. Washington, D.C.: Island Press. pp. 70-107.
- Nowak, D. J. and D. E. Crane(2002) Carbon storage and sequestration by urban trees in the USA. Environmental Pollution 116: 381-389. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(01)00214-7
Park, E. J. and K. Y. Kang(2010) Estimation of C storage and annual
$CO_2$uptake by street trees in Gyeonggi-do. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 24(5): 591-600.
- Park, H. M. and H. K. Jo(2015) Carbon reduction effects of riparian greenspace projects in Korea and desirable ecological approach. Proceedings of International Symposium on Ecological Landscaping and Green Leisure. Kangwon National University, Institute of Forest Science. pp. 143-143.
- Song, C. Y., K. S. Chang, K. S. Park, and S. W. Lee(1997) Analysis of carbon fixation in natural forests of Quercus mongolica and Quercus variabilis. Journal of Korean Forest Society 86(1): 35-45.
- Udawatta, R. P. and S. Jose(2011) Carbon sequestration potential of agroforestry practices in temperate North America. In B. M. Kumar and P. K. R. Nair, eds., Carbon Sequestration Potential of Agroforestry Systems: Opportunities and Challenges. Dordrecht: Springer-Verlag. pp. 17-42.