- Volume 43 Issue 6
Korean tourist areas are designated/managed in accordance with the Tourism Promotion Act. Since Taejongdae was designated as a tourist area in 1969, a total of 230 tourist areas have been designated/built/operated. It has been 46 years since the first tourist area was designated. According to the Tourism Area Life Cycle by Butler, it is estimated that the flow of the life cycle will be reflected in ups and downs over time. Thus, this study aimed to provide basic data for suggesting the direction of changes and development of the future tourist areas after analyzing the life cycle stage of domestic tourist areas, by applying the Tourism Area Life Cycle by Butler. The research method was based on the tourist areas by year, the number of visitors, and data of the target to derive the change transition curve, obtained by dividing the life cycle stages of the tourist areas based on the visitor rate of change. In the analysis results, more than 1/3 of domestic tourist areas are reaching the stagnation/decline stage, and tourist areas such as hot springs and seaside/beach resources show a particularly high ratio of stagnation/decline. The tourist areas that already have reached the stagnation/decline stage will need to analyze the causes for the decline, seek for resolution measures, and introduce new innovative elements. Even though the results of this study are not sufficient to be used as an absolute standard to decide the life cycle stage of domestic tourist areas, it is considered to be adequate for phenomenologically understanding the life cycle stage of Korean tourist areas. Based on this study, the causes for the stagnation/decline of tourist areas can be revealed while it can be also used as basic research to establish revitalization measures for tourist areas by introducing new innovation.
Tourism Area Life Cycle;Type of Tourist Area Resource;Tourist Area Revitalization
- Cho, S. H and K. J. Lee(1998) The life cycle of tour destination hot spring in Korea. Journal of the Korean Association of Regional Geographers 4(2): 165-182.
- Choy. D. J.(1992) Life cycle models for pacific Island destinations. Journal of Travel Research 30(3): 26-31. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759203000304
- Cooper, C.(1994) The Destination Life Cycle: an update, In Seaton (eds.), 340-346.
- Cooper, C. and S. Jackson(1989) Destination life cycle: The isle of man case study. Annals of Tourism Research 16: 377-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-7383(89)90051-0
- Cromptom, J. L. and D. M. Hensarling(1987) Some suggested implication of the product life cycle for public recreation and agency managers. Leisure Science 1(3): 295-296.
- Goncalves, V. F. D. C. and P. M. R. Aguas(1997) The concept of life cycle: An application to the tourist product. Journal of Travel Research 36(2): 12-33. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759703600203
- Haywood, K. M.(1986) Can the tourist area life cycle be made operational?. Tourism Management 7(3): 154-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-5177(86)90002-6
- Haywood, K. M.(1998) Economic Business Cycles and the Tourism Life-Cycle Concept, 273-284.
- Jang, E. Y.(2000) The Extension of the Destination Life Cycle Theory: The Case of the Seoul Grand Park. Ph. D. Dissertation. Graduate School of Kyonggi University.
- Butler, R. W.(1980) The concept of a tourist area cycle of evolution implications for management of resources. Canadian Geographer 24:5-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-0064.1980.tb00970.x
- Butler, R. W.(1985) Evolution of tourism in the Scottish Highlands. Annals of Tourism Research 12: 371-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-7383(85)90005-2
- Kim, H. J.(2013) Propulsive direction of the tourist area regeneration policy, Korea tourism policy. Korea Culture & Tourism Institute 52: 71-79.
- Kim, S. Y.(1993) A study on the tourism development of Cheju province based upon tourist area life cycle. Journal of Tourism Geography 3: 85-104.
- Korea Tourism Organization(2014) Tourism Resources Development Manual 2014.
- Lee, Y. H.(2000) The Building of Tourism Destination Area Life Cycle Model: A Case Study of Suanbo Area, Korea. Ph. D. Dissertation. The Graduate School, Dongguk University.
- Lundtorp, S. and S. Wanhill(2001) The resort lifecycle theory: Generating processes and estimation. Annals of Tourism Research 28(4): 947-964. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(00)00080-3
- Meywer-Arendt, K. J.(1985) The grand isle, Louisiana resort cycle. Annals of Tourism Research 12: 449-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-7383(85)90009-X
- Oppermann, M.(1998) What is new with the resort cycle?. Tourism Management 19(2): 179-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(97)00110-6
- Park, J. M.(2003) The Analysis of Lifecycle of Destination and the Strategies of Growth Management: the Case of Jeju Island. Ph. D. Dissertation. Graduate School of Kyonggi University.
- Polli, R. and V. Cook(1969) Validity of the product life cycle. The Journal of Business 42(4): 385-400. https://doi.org/10.1086/295215