- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Design Strategies for Ecological Restoration Using System Dynamics - Focused on 2015 Miryang-si Jayeon Madang Development Project -
시스템 다이내믹스를 활용한 생태복원 설계 전략 - 2015 밀양시 자연마당 조성사업을 사례로 -
Ham, Eun-Kyung;Song, Ki-Hwan;Chon, Jinhyung;Cho, Dong-Gil
- Received : 2015.10.14
- Accepted : 2015.12.03
- Published : 2015.12.31
"The Jayeon Madang Development Project("JMDP")" is a project being promoted by the Ministry of Environment to create a cultural space and a natural rest area within the city. Abuksan, located at Abuksan in Gyeongsangnam-do Miryang-si Naeil-dong, has suffered a substantial amount of environmental degradation over time, so the need for ecological restoration made it a natural choice for the location of the JMDP's site. The purpose of this study is to examine ecological restoration design strategies used in Abuksan as part of the JMDP using system dynamics. The national archery center, hole, and arable land sites are key restoration areas in Abuksan that have faced with ecological problems. In this study, we identified the status of each site, determined key strategies being implemented, and designed based on the strategies implemented up to this point for solving problems associated with each sites through the use of causal loop diagrams. The results of the causal loop diagram analysis are as follows. The national archery center site was designed around strategies including planting green manure crops and introducing hugelkultur to reduce soil acidification and green network degradation. The hole site was designed as a constructed wetland based on the emergence of hygropreference vegetation, hydrated by rainwater collected at the bottom of hole, ecological and cultural benefits of such an environment. The arable land site restoration design was built around planting native vegetation on one part of the arable land site after soil quality improved and around restoration of grassland and a dry wetland on the other part of the site to reduce soil acidification, erosion, and green network degradation. This study is a significant attempt to apply principles of system dynamics to ecological restoration by providing the design strategies using comprehension of some problems in the ecosystem feedback loops, which has not been used before in general design processes for ecological restoration.
System Thinking;Causal Loop Diagrams;Feedback Loop;Strategic Point
- Benayas, J. M. R., A. C. Newton, A. Diaz and J. M. Bullock(2009) Enhancement of biodiversity and ecosystem services by ecological restoration: A Meta Analysis. Science 325(5944): 1121-1124. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1172460
- Beyer, L.(1995) Soil microbial biomass and organic matter composition in soils under cultivation. Biology and Fertility of Soils 19(2-3): 197-202. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00336159
- Byeon, W. I.(2006) A study on constructed wetland ecological park design with multiple-cell FWS layout-Focus on structural design of sustainable structured wetland biotope(SSB) park-. Journal of The Korea Society For Environmental Restoration and Revegetation Technology 9(5): 1-9.
- Cho, D. G.(2011) Planning and Designing of Ecological Restoration. Seoul: NEXUS Design Centre.
- Cho, D. G., H. Y. Jin and J. H. Song(2011) Proposal of ecological design of aquatic garden in Korea national arboretum considering natural wetland vegetation structure. Journal of Korean Society for Plants, People and Environment 14(6): 379-391.
- Choi, S. H.(2010) Design of North Seoul DreamForest based on traditional village design methods. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 37(6): 66-72.
- Choi, S. O., J. D. Kimand G. S. Choi(2009) Application of fuzzy reasoning method for prediction of subsidence occurrences in abandoned mine area. Tunnel & Underground Space 19(5): 463-472.
- Choi, Y. E., S. J. You, E. K. Ham, K. H. Song and J. H. Chon(2014) Sustainable management plan of eco-tourism resources using system thinking: A case study of Bamseom in Seoul. Journal of Tourism Sciences 38(5): 59-78.
- Choi, Y. E., S. J. You, S. R. Kang, B. K. Choi and J. H. Chon(2015) Management plan of whooper swan(Cygnus cygnus) habitat using causal loop analysis: Focused on Eulsukdo. Journal of Ecology and Environment 29(3): 353-367.
- Dace, E., G. Bazbauers, A. Berzina and P. I. Davison(2014) Systemdynamics model for analyzing effects of eco-design policy on packaging waste management system. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 87(-): 175-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2014.04.004
- Eom, K. C.(2010) Basic Research for Soil Erosion Diminish. Research Report of Ministry of Environment.
- Harris, J. A., R. J. Hobbs, E. Higgs and J. Aronson(2006) Ecological restoration and global climate change. Restoration Ecology 14(2): 170-176. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-100X.2006.00136.x
- Higgs, E. S.(1997). What is good ecological restoration?. Conservation Biology 11(2): 338-348. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1739.1997.95311.x
- Jang, E. S.(2007) The reconstitution of the geographical thinking on the basis of system thinking. The Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic and Environmental Education 15(1): 77-92. https://doi.org/10.17279/jkagee.2007.15.1.77
- Jeong, Y. W., Y. D. Kim, J. H. Park and B. M. Yoon(2009) The reducing effects analysis of floods through washland construction in Hwapocheon basin. Proceedings of Symposiumon Korea Water Resources Association. Seoul: Korea Water Resources Association.
- Joa, J. H., D. G. Moon, S. J. Chun, C. H. Kim, K. S. Choi, H. N. Hyun and U. G. Kang(2009) Effect of temperature on soil microbial biomass, enzyme activities, and PLFA content during incubation period of soil treated with organic materials. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 42(6): 500-512.
- Joa, J. H., J. H. Lee, H. W. Won, S. G. Han and H. C. Lim(2008) Effect of different soil managements on physical properties and microbial activities in citrus orchard soil. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 41(5): 279-284.
- Jung, K. Y., E. Y. Yun, C. Y. Park, J. B. Hwang, Y. D. Choi, S. H. Jeon and H. A. Lee(2012) Effect of soil compaction levels and textures on soybean(Glycine max L.) root elongation and yield. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 45(3): 332-338. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.3.332
- Kim, B. J., J. H. Back and H. G. Kim(1997) Effect of lime materials application on reducing injury of simulated acid rain in soybean. The Korean Society of Environmental Agriculture 16(2): 175-180.
- Kim, D. K., J. G. Kim, H. S. Kim, B. K. Yoo, K. S. Ahn, S. W. Jang and H. K. Shin(2011) Sunctional assessment of Yongdam Damwetland by HGM. Journal of Wetlands Research 13(3): 665-675.
- Kim, D. H.(2004) System Thinking. Seongnam: Sunhaksa.
- Kim, D. H. and Y. K. Hong(2008) System dynamics modeling for management of roe deer population in Jejudo. Korean System Dynamics Review 9(2): 45-75.
- Kim, D. H.(2014) Physicochemical and Microbial Properties of Urban Roadside Tree Soil in Eelation to Pollution Levels. Master's Thesis. Yonsei University. Korea.
- Kim, D. S.(2007) A study on landscape restoration of the Namhan-Sansung village. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 34(6): 101-110.
- Kim, J. W. and Y. K. Jung(1995) A case study on the vegetation in the Kimpo landfills and its periphery region-Ecological division of habitats by analysis of vegetation structure and soil environment-. Journal of Ecology and Environment 18(3): 307-321.
- Kim, M. H., H. S. Bang, M. S. Han, H. K. Hong, Y. E. Na, K. K. Kang, J. T. Lee and D. B. Lee(2009) Effect of vegetation types on the distribution of soil invertebrates. The Korean Society of Environmental Agriculture 28(2): 125-130. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2009.28.2.125
- Ko, C. T., H. D. Jong and H. Kohji(2006) The philosophy of ecological restoration and its policy application-Establishing the principle.strategy .method of restoration from a pragmatic approach and case study. Journal of Korean Philosophical Society 97(-): 1-37.
- Lee, H. H., K. H. Lee and S. W. Lee(2009) Change of soil erodibility by soil organic matter and soil texture in Young-il soil erosion control district. Proceedings of Symposium on Korean Forest Society. Seoul: Korean Forest Society. pp. 363-364.
- Lee, H. J., J. H. Kim, B. H. Bae, M. S. Park, Y. M. C. J. G. Kang and J. S. Shin(1997) Forest vegetation and soil condition on Mt. Palyoung. Journal of Basic Science 22(-): 79-101.
- Lee, H. J., S. J. You and J. H. Chon(2015) The management methods of multi-purpose ecological reservoir by system thinking-Focused on Anteo Eco Park-. Journal of Korea Society For Environmental Restoration and Revegetation Technology 18(2): 1-17.
- Lee, J. T., G. J. Lee, J. S. Ryu, J. S. Kim, K. H. Han and Y, S, Zhang (2012) Evaluation of surface covering methods for reducing soil loss of highland slope in soybean cultivation. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 45(5): 725-735. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.5.725
- Lee, S. J., H. A. Choi, W. K. Lee, J. Y. Lee, S. W. Jeon and J. S. Kim (2014) Determining the priority order of wetland functions. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment 23(3): 197-207. https://doi.org/10.14249/eia.2014.23.3.197
- Lee, S. W., C. H. Lee, Y. Y. Lee and Y. H. Jeong(2008) Impacts of soil acidification on red pine growth and soil biological activities. Proceedings of Symposium on Korean Society of Soil Science and Fertilizer. Wanju: Korean Society of Soil Science and Fertilizer. pp. 141.
- Lee, T. S., K. J. Lee, B. U. Choi and S. C. Park(2010) Planting managements for improvement of species diversity in recreational forest-A case study of Chukryongsan recreational forest, Gyeonggi-do-. Journal of Ecology and Environment 24(4): 351-362.
- Moon, T. H.(2007) A Sustainable City through System Thinking. Paju: Jipmoon
- Oh, Y. J.. S. B. Kang, Y. I. Song, J. H. Choi andW. K. Paik(2012) Effects of cover plants on soil microbial community in organic apple orchards. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 45(5): 822-828. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.5.822
- Park, C. G.(1997) Systemology. Seoul: Bermyangsa.
- Park, C. Y., W. T. Jeon, G. D. Park, H Y. Kwon, C. S. Kim and K. B. Park(2000) The effects of soil loss mitigate and soil fertility change by preservation countermeasures of upland soil. Proceedings of Symposium on Korean Society of Soil Science and Fertilizer. Wanju: Korean Society of Soil Science and Fertilizer. pp. 143.
- Park, M. E. and G. S. Kim(1998) Upstream part of Hoidong water reservoir in Pusan-The soil and water pollution caused by the weathering of pyrophyllite deposits-. Journal of Environmental Science International 7(2): 149-155.
- Saysel, A. K., Y. Barlas and O. Yenigun(2002) Environmental sustainability in an agricultural development project: A system dynamics approach. Journal of Environmental Management 64(3): 247-260. https://doi.org/10.1006/jema.2001.0488
- Seong, C. N., J. H. Kim and K. D. Baik(1998) Distribution and properties of soil microorganisms isolated fromrepresentative plant communities of Mt. Paektu. Journal of Ecology and Environment 21(5): 575-583.
- Son, J. K., N. C. Kim and B. H. Kang(2010) The type classification and function assessment at small palustrine wetland in rural area. Journal of the Korea Society for Environmental Restoration and Revegetation Technology 13(6): 117-131.
- Sterman, J. D.(2000) Business Dynamics: SystemThinking andModeling for complex world. USA: Irwin McGraw-Hill companies.
- Sweeny, L. B. and J. D. Sterman(2007) Thinking about systems: Student and teacher conceptions of natural and social systems. System Dynamics Review 23(-): 285-312. https://doi.org/10.1002/sdr.366
- Yang, S. K., Y. W. Seo, Y. S. Kim, S. K. Kim, K. H. Lim, K. J. Choi, J. H. Lee and W. J. Jung(2011) Changes of pepper yield and chemical properties of soil in the application of different green manure crops and no-tillage organic cultivation. Korea Journal of OrganicAgriculture 19(2): 255-272.
Supported by : 고려대학교