- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Neighborhood Environmental Perception on Park Use for Health Improvement - The Case of Suseong-gu in Daegu City -
거주지 주변 환경에 대한 인식이 건강증진 목적의 공원이용에 미치는 영향 - 대구광역시 수성구를 대상으로 -
Lee, Woo-Sung;Jung, Sung-Gwan;Park, Young-Eun
- Received : 2015.10.16
- Accepted : 2015.12.12
- Published : 2015.12.31
The purpose of this study is to analyze the effect of neighborhood environmental perception on park use for health. The study area is focused on neighborhood parks in Suseong-gu, Daegu city. The analysis results are based on questionnaires of 303 respondents. According to the results, park use for health improvement was significantly associated with the perceptions of accessibility to a marketplace, availability of public transit, accessibility to the park, enough sidewalks, number of crosswalks, and athletic population. The probability of park use increased by 2.326 times as the satisfaction of accessibility to the park increased. Also, greater athletic population, fewer crosswalks, and more sidewalks lead to increase of park use by 1.701, 1.617, and 1.642 times, respectively. Therefore, it is important to increase the available neighborhood parks around residences and to develop exercise programs that people can use continuously in order to vitalize park use for health improvement. Also, it is necessary to improve the convenience of walking such as development of pedestrian streets or malls between residences and parks.
Neighborhood Park;Neighborhood Environment;Physical Activity;Logistic Regression Analysis;Bivariate Analysis
- Baek, S. K.(2014) The Influence of Neighborhood Open Space Environment on Physical Activity and Health. Master Thesis, Changwon National University.
- Baek, S. K. and K. H. Park(2014) Associations between characteristics of green spaces physical activity and health: Focusing on the case study of Changwon city. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 42(3): 1-12.
- Baker, R. G.(1968) Ecological Psychology: Concepts and Methods for Studying the Environment of Human Behavior. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Bedimo-Rung, A. L., A. J. Mowen and D. A. Cohen(2005) The significance of parks to physical activity and public health: A conceptual model. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 28(2S2): 159-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.10.024
- Besenyi, G. M.(2003) Park Environments and Youth Physical Activity: Exploring the Influence of Proximity and Features Across Kansas City Missour. Master Thesis, Kansas State University.
- Cohen, D. A., J. S. Ashwood, M. M. Scott, A. Overton, K. R. Evenson, L. K. Staten, D. Porter, T. L. Mckenzie and D. Catellier(2006) Public parks and physical activity among adolescent girls. American Academy of Pediatrics 118(5): 1381-1389.
- Cohen, D. A., T. L. Mckenzie, A. Sehgal, S. Williamson, D. Golinelli and N. Lurie(2007) Contribution of public parks to physical activity. American Journal of Public Health. 97(3): 509-514. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2005.072447
- Coombes, E. A., P. Jones and M. Hillsdon(2010) The relationship of physical activity and overweight to objectively measured green space accessibility and use. Social Science and Medicine 70: 816-822. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.11.020
- Daegu(2014) Current State of Park and Recreational Park.
- Frank, L. D., J. F. Sallis, T. L. Conway, J. E. Chapman, B. E. Saelens and W. Bachman(2006) Many pathways from land use to health: Associations between neighborhood walkability and active transportation, Body Mass Index, and Air quality. Journal of American Planning Association 72(1): 75-87. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944360608976725
- Giles-Corti, B. and R. J. Donovan(2002) The relative influence of individual, social and physical environment determinants of physical activity. Social Science and Medicine 54(12): 1793-1812. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(01)00150-2
- Giles-Corti, B., M. H. Broomhall, M. Knuiman, C. Collins, K. Douglas, A. Lange and R. J. Donovan(2005) Increasing walking: How important is distance to, attractiveness, and size of public open space? American Journal of Preventive Medicine 28(2S2): 169-176.
- Hamilton, K. L.(2011) Park Usage and Physical Activity: An Exploration of Park Features, Neighborhoods, and Park Programs. Master Thesis, Queen's University.
- Hillsdon, M., J. Panter, C. Foster and A. Jones(2006) The relationship between access and quality of urban green space with population physical activity. Journal of The Royal Institute of Public Health 120: 1127-1132.
- Ho, C. H., L. Payne, E. Orsega-Smith and G. Godbey(2003) Parks, recreation and public health. Parks and Recreation 38(4): 18-27.
- Kaczynski, A. T., L. R. Potwarka and B. E. Saelens(2008) Association of park size, distance, and features with physical activity in neighborhood parks. American Journal of Public Health 98(8): 1451-1456. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.129064
- Kang, S. J. and E. A. Park(2011) Plan for the Development of Senior Friendly Parks in New Urban Development Sites. Gyeonggi Research Institute.
- Kim, E. J.(2008) Effects of built environmental factors on perceived health status and health disparity. The Korea Spatial Planning Review 59: 203-222. https://doi.org/10.15793/kspr.2008.59..010
- Kim, E. J. and M. G. Kang(2011) Effects of built environment and individual characteristics on health condition. Journal of the Korean Rerional Science Association 27(3): 27-42.
- Kim, S. H.(2011) A Study of Current Status and Improvement Proposals for Outdoor Exercise Equipments in Neighborhood Park. Master Thesis, Kyunghee University.
- Kim, Y. J.(2012) Neighborhood Environmental Factors Enhancing the Quality of Life among Urban Elderly Population. Master Thesis, Seoul National University.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(2012) 2012 Community Health Survey.
- Lee, C. and A. V. Moudon(2004) Physical activity and environmental research in the health field: Implications for urban and transportation planning research and practice. Journal od Planning Literature 19(2): 147-181. https://doi.org/10.1177/0885412204267680
- Lee, S. Y. and J. Heo(2004) An importance-performance analysis by benefit sought in neighborhood park: Focused on the neighborhood park in the city of Taejon. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 32(3): 114-123.
- Lee, S. G., W. S. Lee, S. K. Baek, S. K. Jung, and K. H. Park(2013) The influence of neighborhood-based physical environment on park usage for physical activity: Focused on Changwon-si in Korea. Journal of Korea Planners Association 48(7): 5-21.
- Lee, Y. E., J. E. Park, J. Y. Hwang and W. Y. Kim(2009) Comparison of health risks according to the Obesity type based upon BMI and waist circumference in Korea adults; The 1998-2005 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. Journal of Nutrition 42(7): 631-638.
- Moon, H. S.(2006) A Way to Revitalize Using Green-Space of Daegu City as a Place of Physical Activities for Health. Master Thesis, Keimyung University.
- Moon, H. S. and S. B. Kim(2009) A study on the Utilization of green spaces in Daegu city as the place for physical activities improving health. Journal of the Environmental Sciences 18(11): 1199-1206. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2009.18.11.1199
- More, T. and B. Payne(1978) Affective responses to natural areas near cities. Journal of Leisure Research 10(1): 7-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222216.1978.11969329
- Orsega-Smith, E., A. J. Mowen, L. L. Payne, and G. C. Godbey(2004) The interaction of stress and park use on psycho-physiological health in older adults. Journal of Leisure Research 36(2S2): 232-256. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222216.2004.11950021
- Oswald, F., H. W. Wahl, O. Schilling, C. Nygren, A. Fange, A. Sixsmith, J. Sixsmith, Z. Szeman, S. Tomsone and S. Iwarsson(2007) Relationships between housing and healthy aging in very old age. The Gerontologist 47(1): 96-107. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/47.1.96
- Park, K. H., W. S. Lee, T. H. Kim, and E. J. Kim(2014) Effect of satisfaction in neighborhood park environments on physical activity and health: The case of Seongsan-gu and Uichang-gu in Changwon city. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 42(3): 64-75.
- Park, Y. E., W. S. Lee, J. S. Gwan and K. H. Park(2015) The effect of environmental perception in neighborhood park on user's recognition of health improvement: Focusing on 8 neighborhood parks in Changwon city. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 43(1): 54-68. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2015.43.1.054
- Pikora, T., B. Giles-corti, F. Bull, K. Jamrozic and R. Donovan(2003) Developing a framework for assessment of the environmental determinants of walking and cycling. Social Science and Medicine 56(8): 1693-1703. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00163-6
- Stahl, T., A. Rutten, D. Nutbeam, A. Bauman, L. Kannas, T. Abel, G. Luschen, D. J. A. Rodriquez, J. Vinck and J. Van Der Zee(2001) The importance of the social environment for physically active lifestyle-results from an international study. Social Science & Medicine 52(1): 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00116-7
- Wells, N. M. and G. W. Evans(2003) A buffer of life stress among rural children. Journal of environment and Behavior 35(3): 311-330. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013916503035003001
- Witten, K., R. Hiscock, J. Pearce and Blakely(2008) Neighbourhood access to open space and the physical activity of residents: A national study, Preventive Medicine 47: 299-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2008.04.010
- Youn, J. M. and M. J. Choi(2014) The effect of urban open space on outdoor leisure activities-Focusing on whole residents and the elderly. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 42(4): 21-29.
Supported by : 한국연구재단