- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Studies on the Management Plan in Urban Ecological Protected Area of Seoul - A Case Study of the Baeksil Valley Ecological Scenery and Conservation Area -
서울 도시생태 보호지역 관리계획 연구 - 백사실계곡 생태·경관보전지역을 대상으로 -
Park, Seok-Cheol;Han, Bong-Ho;Kwak, Jeong-In
- Received : 2015.07.07
- Accepted : 2015.12.16
- Published : 2015.12.31
This study is for constructing detailed data to secure biological diversity and maintain a healthy ecosystem in Backsasil Valley Ecological and Scenery Conservation Area, and for preparing an ecological management plan fit for the protected area. The period for this study was from April 2010 to May 2013. Recently, the increase of visitors to Baeksasil Valley, as well as the plantation and dissemination of introduced vegetable species, become factors accelerating ecological disturbance. Major research contents included the reviews of the management system of the protected areas, the necessity of ecological management at the basin level, establishing the system of a management plan, research and analysis of environment ecology, analysis of threatening factors, goal-setting, management strategies, and a plan through SWOT analysis. Survey items were the natural environment, major components of ecosystem, and human-use. The goals of ecological management were basin zone management for amphibians, conservation and restoration of forest vegetation for conservation habitat of Dryocopus martius, conservation habitat of Zelkova serrta for nature landscape, and management of users for environment protection. The conservation management plan at a basin zone level contains the management of point and non-point pollution sources in the upstream, securing growing conditions for native plants, securing safe habitats for amphibians, and securing of habitats for major wild birds. Also, restoration of natural forests, management of native plants and introduced vegetable species, and restoration of degraded forest paths are suggested for the restoration plans.
Watershed Management;Biodiversity;Conservation Plan;Restoration Plan
- Ashlock, M. E. and Mayr, E.(1991) Principles of Systematic Zoology.
- Curtis, J. T. and R. P. McIntosh(1951) An upland forest continuum in the Prairie-forest border region of Wisconsin. Ecology 32: 476-496. https://doi.org/10.2307/1931725
- Han, B. H., W. Cho and S. D. Lee(2001) Plant community structure of Donghaksa Valley in Kyeryongsan National Park. Kor. J. Env. Eco. 14(4): 238-251.
- James, T. D., D. W. Smith, E. E. Mackintosh, M. K. Hoffman and P. Monti(1979) Effects of camping recreation on soil, jack pine, and understory vegetation in a Northwestern Ontario Park. Forest Science 25(2): 333-349.
- Jung, K. S.(2007) Odonata of Korea. Seoul: Ilgongyuksa.
- Kang, H. K. and S. H. Hong(2010) A study of ecological change aspects in Tancheon ecological landscape conservation area, Seoul. Journal of Korean Society for Plants People and Environment 13(3): 23-32.
- Kim, K. O., S. H. Hong, Y. H. Lee, C. S. Na, B. H. Kang and Y. W. Son(2010) Distribution of vascular plants at the ecological landscape conservation area Heoninlleung in Seoul. Korean Journal of Plant Resources 23(1): 60-78.
- Klijn, F.(1994) Ecosystem Classification for Environmental Management. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Kwon, T. H., D. W. Kim and J. W. Lee(2005) Trail deterioration in Woraksan National Park. Kor. J. Env. Eco. 19(2): 130-138.
- Kwon, T. H., J. W. Lee and D. W. Kim(2004) Trail deterioration and managerial strategy on the ridge of the Baekdudaegan-A case of the trail between Namdeogyusan and Sosagogae-. Kor. J. Env. Eco. 18(2): 175-183.
- Land and Housing Institute(2000) A Case Study on Planting Environment and Improvement in the Reclaimed Seaside Areas. Korea Land and Housing Corporation.
- Lee, D. H.(2011) A Study on Assessment Method for Selection of Ecology and Landscape Conservation Area. MS Thesis. Seoul National University, Korea.
- Lee, G. G., J. H. Lee and J. Y. Cha(2014a) The management planning model for wetland conservation area in South Korea: Focused on conservation and management planning according to making Mt. Daeam's Yong-neup opening to the public. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 17(1): 185-201. https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2014.17.1.185
- Lee, H. Y., C. H. Oh and S. J. Lee(2012) A study on the distribution characteristics of Buxus koreana in Kwanaksan ecological and scenery conservation area. Kor. J. Env. Eco. 26(1): 91-99.
- Lee, S. M.(2001) The Dragonflies of Korean Peninsula(Odonata). Junghaeng-Sa.
- Lee, S. M. and C. H. Oh(2012) Conservation measures of Korean whitebeam community in Bongsan ecological and scenery conservation area. The Korea Society For Environmental Restoration And Revegetation Technology 15(1): 1-14.
- Lee, T. B.(2003) Coloured Flora of Korea. Seoul: Hyang munsa.
- Lee, W. H., D. H. Kim, J. U. Kim, H. S. Oh, B. K. Choi and J. S. Lee(2014b) A basic study on the establishment of preservation and management for natural monument(No.374) Pyeongdae-ri Torreya nucifera forest of Jeju. Journal of Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 32(1): 93-106. https://doi.org/10.14700/KITLA.2014.32.1.093
- Lee W. S., T. H. Ku. and J. Y. Park(2000) A Field Guide to the Birds of Korea. Seoul: LG Evergreen Foundation.
- Mayr, E.(1963) Animal Species and Evolution. Animal Species and Their Evolution.
- Ministry of Environment(2001) A study on the conservation of surface soil and erosion control. Research Report to Ministry of Environment
- Oh, J. H., S. G. Jung, J. O. Kwon, and K. H. Park(2007) A landscape ecological classification based on watershed focusing landcover types. The Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies 10(4): 22-34.
- Park, K. H.(2002) Integrated Environmental Assessment of the Nakdong River Basin using GIS and RS Method. Ph. D. Dissertation Kyungpook Univ., Daegu, Korea.
- Park, S. H.(2009) New Illustrations and Photographs of Naturalized Plants of Korea. Seoul: Ilchokak.
- Rutledge, D. T.(2001) Change in Land Cover and Wildlife Habitats in Two Watershed in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, 271pp.
- Seo, C. W. and C. H. Park(2000) Wild Boar(Sus scrofa coreanus Heude) habitat modeling using GIS and logistic regression. Journal of GIS Association of Korea 8(1): 85-99.
- Seoul(2009) News Release.
- Seoul(2010) The Urban Forest Ecosystem Scientific Research (III). Seoul.
- Seoul(2013) News Release.
- Seoul Metropolitan Council(2014) Evaluation, Alternative, Implementation Status and Adequacy that Management Plan of Ecological Scenery and Conservation Area. Seoul Metropolitan Council, Seoul.
- Shim, J. H. and C. I. Choi(2002) Ecology and biodiversity of the herpetofauna in the Dong River Vally, Korea. The Korean Society of Limnology 35(5): 344-349.
- Sohn, H. G.(2000) EcosystemAssessment Using Spatial Pattern Analysis at Landscape Scale-A Case Study of Young-In, Korea. MS Thesis. Seoul National University, Korea.
- Steiner, F., Blair, J., McSherry, L., Guhathakurta, S., Marruffo, J. and Holm, M.(2000) A watershed at a watershed: The potential for environmentally sensitive area protection in the upper San Pedro Drainage Basin(Mexico and USA). Landscape and Urban Planning 49(3): 129-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-2046(00)00062-1
- Yim, Y. J. and E. S. Cheon(1980) Distribution of naturalized plants in the Korean Peninsula. Journal of Plant Biology 23(3-4): 69-83.
- Yoo J. C. and Y. S. Choi(2007) Current status of birds of the Amsa-dong ecological landscape protected area in Seoul (2003-2005). Bulletin of Korea Institute of Ornithology 10(1): 11-19.