- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Study on Aspects of Representing Tradition in the Winners of Landscape Competitions of Land Development Projects through the Comparative Analysis between the Original Designs and the Constructions
택지개발사업 조경설계공모 당선안과 조성 현장 비교를 통해 본 전통 재현의 양상
- Received : 2015.10.26
- Accepted : 2015.12.25
- Published : 2015.12.31
In order to search for the reasonable planning directions for representing traditional landscape, this study conducted the comparative analysis of the designs on the panels and their constructions from both winners of "The Landscape Design Competitions for City Infrastructure of Minlak(2) District in Uijeongbu" and "The Design Competition for Dongtan(2) District Land Development Phase 1". The representing targets and views, the composition and placement of representing space, the design of representing facilities and landscape planting were examined based on the text, master plans, elevations and cross sections, diagrams, images, and perspective drawings proposed from the competition panels. Then, the landscape constructions were reviewed. The results are as follows: First, the types of the representing targets and views are the agricultural landscape, as the local landscape of target area, which are divided into the life space of a traditional village, the traditional water space, and the traditional culture. Second, as to the composition and placement of representing space, the traditional theme spaces are formulated considering the surrounding land use and the local cultural heritage. However, some spaces were changed to the exercise space or convenient facility spaces required in a neighborhood park. Third, in the case of the representing facilities, a round island in the square pond, a traditional pavilion and Hwagye(terraced flower bed) were made without the facilities designed creatively. Fourth, the application of traditional planting techniques was focused on planting trees in the village forest on an island in the square pond and on Hwagye. Fifth, the traditional representing work has gradually advanced with the selection of subject and experimental facility designs based on the professional references. Sixth, the choice of the realizable subject, the expertise for information analysis and the creative design of the traditional facility are required in the future.
Korean Traditional Village;Neighborhood Park;Representing Target;Traditional Garden
- Choi, Key-soo(2003) A study on the modernized representation of the Korean traditional landscape in the case of the pavilion in the neighborhood park of Seoul, Korea. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 21(3): 1-16.
- Environment and Landscape Architecture(2009) The design competition for Uijeongbu Minlak(2) land development. Environment and Landscape Architecture 250: 132-140.
- Environment and Landscape Architecture(2012) The design competition for Dongtan (2) district land development phase 1. Environment and Landscape Architecture 296: 66-77.
- Hong, Hyoung-soon, Yu-kyung Lee and Do-kyung, Kim(2002) Kitsch modification of the traditional landscape elements and its appearance. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 20(4): 66-78.
- Kim, Hai-gyoung, Hyun-su So and Key-soo Choi(2007) A study of Japanese stone lanterns' representations in contemporary exterior spaces. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 25(4): 111-123.
- Kim, Hyun-joon(2000) A Study on the Methodology of Traditionality Expression inModern Korean Architecture. Master's Thesis, The Graduate School of Chung-Ang University.
- Korea National Housing Corporation(2008) The Design Competitions' Guidelines for Uijeongbu Minlak(2) Land Development.
- Lee, Eun-jin(2002) A Study on the Discussion of Tradition and Its Embodiment in Korean Contemporary Architecture from 1961 to 1979. Master's Thesis, The Graduate School of Seoul National University.
- Lee, Jae-geun(1991) A study on the design methodology for the embodiment of tradition in Korean garden. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 19(1): 61-80.
- Lee, Sang-min(2006) A Study on the Contemporary Korean Landscape Architecture in View of "Design Media" with a Reference to Competition Entries. Doctor's Thesis, The Graduate School of Seoul National University.
- LH(2012) The Design Competitions' Guidelines for Dongtan (2) District Land Development Phase 1.
- So, Hyun-su, Hai-gyoung Kim and Key-soo Choi(2006) Analyzing the representation of traditions in residential landscape architecture. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 24(2): 86-100.
- Sung, Mo-kyung(2014) A Study on Expression of Korean Traditional Architectural Elements in Large Scale Government Office Building. Master's Thesis, The Graduate School of Yeungnam University.
- Yoo, Kyeong-sang, Nan-young Paek and Jae-keun Lee(2002) A case study on the construction of Korean traditional wall Kotdam and terrace garden Whage: Base on the gardening of Sang Myung University library court. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 20(3): 92-106.
- Zoh, Kyung-jin and Chung-ho Kim(2001) Characteristics of representing traditional gardens in landscape design through analyzing the entry plans of Seoul Park in Paris. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 28(6): 84-95.