- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Cyclic Seismic Performance of RBS Weak-Axis Welded Moment Connections
RBS 약축 용접모멘트접합부의 내진성능 평가
- Lee, Cheol Ho (Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Jung, Jong Hyun (School of Architecture, Kyungnam University) ;
- Kim, Sung Yong (Dept. of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2015.07.16
- Accepted : 2015.12.01
- Published : 2015.12.27
In steel moment frames constructed of H-shapes, strong-axis moment connections should be used for maximum structural efficiency if possible. And most of cyclic seismic testing, domestic and international, has been conducted for strong-axis moment connections and cyclic test data for weak-axis connections is quite limited. However, when perpendicular moment frames meet, weak-axis moment connections are also needed at the intersecting locations. Especially, both strong- and weak-axis moment connections have been frequently used in domestic practice. In this study, cyclic seismic performance of RBS (reduced beam section) weak-axis welded moment connections was experimentally investigated. Test specimens, designed according to the procedure proposed by Gilton and Uang (2002), performed well and developed an excellent plastic rotation capacity of 0.03 rad or higher, although a simplified sizing procedure for attaching the beam web to the shear plate in the form of C-shaped fillet weld was used. The test results of this study showed that the sharp corner of C-shaped fillet weld tends to be the origin of crack propagation due to stress concentration there and needs to be trimmed for the better weld shape. Different from strong-axis moment connections, due to the presence of weld access hole, a kind of CJP butt joint is formed between the beam flange and the horizontal continuity plate in weak-axis moment connections. When weld access hole is large, this butt joint can experience cyclic local buckling and subsequent low cycle fatigue fracture as observed in this testing program. Thus the size of web access hole at the butt joint should be minimized if possible. The recommended seismic detailing such as stickout, trimming, and thicker continuity plate for construction tolerance should be followed for design and fabrication of weak-axis welded moment connections.
Supported by : 국토교통부
- Rentschler, G.P., Driscoll, G.C., and Chen, W.F. (1980) Tests of Beam-to-Column Web Moment Connections, J. Struct. Div., American Society of Civil Engineering (ASCE), Vol.106, No.5, pp.1005-1022.
- Driscoll, G.C. and Beedle, L.S. (1982) Suggestions for Avoiding Beam-to-Column Web Connection Failure, Eng. J., American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), Vol.19, No.1, pp.16-19.
- Popov, E.P. and Tsai, K.C. (1989) Performance of Large Seismic Steel Moment Connections under Cyclic Loads, Eng. J., Vol.26, No.2, pp.51-60.
- Gilton, C. and Uang, C.-M. (2002) Cyclic Response and Design Recommendations of Weak-Axis Reduced Beam Section Moment Connections, J. Struct. Eng., Vol.122, No.11, pp.1292-1299. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:11(1292)
- 박종원, 강승민, 오용준(2007) 약축 보-기둥 접합부의 경제성에 관한 연구, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제19권, 제6호, pp.663-670. Park, J.W., Kang, S.M., and Oh, Y.J. (2007) A Study on the Economy of Weak-axis Beam-to-Column Connections, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, Korean Society of Steel Construction (KSSC), Vol.19, No.6, pp.663-670 (in Korean).
- 이강민, 정희택, 윤석용, 이은모, 오경환(2008) 브라켓 및 WUF-B 형식 철골모멘트골조 약축접합부 내진성능평가, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제20권, 제4호, pp.483-491. Lee, K.M., Jeong, H.T., Yoon, S.R., Lee, E.M., and Oh, K.H. (2008) Cyclic Testing of Bracket and WUF-B Type Weak-Axis Steel Moment Connections, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol.20, No.4, pp.483-491 (in Korean).
- 김성배, 조한솔, 이태규, 김상섭(2014) 실물대 실험을 통한 H형강 기둥의 신형상 약축접합부 성능평가에 관한 연구, 대한건축학회논문집 구조계, 대한건축학회, 제30권, 제9 호, pp.19-29. Kim, S.B., Cho, H.S., Lee, T.G., and Kim, S.S. (2014) A Study on the Performance Evaluation for New Shape Weak-Axis Connection of H-Shape Beam-to-Column in Full-scale Test, Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea Structure & Construction, Architectural Institute of Korea (AIK), Vol.30, No.9, pp.19-29 (in Korean).
- AISC (2010a) Prequalified Connections for Special and Intermediate Steel Moment Frames for Seismic Applications, ANSI/AISC 358-10, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago.
- 이철호, 전상우, 김진호(2002) RBS 철골모멘트접합부의 내진거동평가를 위한 반복재하 실물대(實物大) 실험, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제14권, 제4호, pp. 557-566. Lee, C.H., Jeon, S.W., and Kim, J.H. (2002) Cyclic Seismic Testing of Full-Scale RBS Steel Moment Connections, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol.14, No.4, pp.557-566 (in Korean).
- 대한건축학회(2009) 건축구조설계기준 및 해설(KBC 2009), 기문당. AIK (2009) Korean Building Code and Commentary - Structural, AIK (in Korean).
- AISC (2010b) Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, ANSI/AISC 360-10, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago.