- Volume 19 Issue 6
In order to design M/W(microwave) short backhaul above 10 GHz to meet the increase in mobile traffic demand, the rain attenuation as well as the atmospheric conditions such as Earth bulge and Fresnel zone should be considered. In this paper, the path lengths have been estimated theoretically in various frequency bands using the Korean standard rain rate, and an example of path profile has been analyzed in urban area utilizing spectrum management intelligence system (SMIS). These derived minimum path lengths in various frequency bands are compared to the foreign them, and then will be proposed to improve the Korean minimum path length unitized to 10 km. This paper will provide useful information for microwave engineers in designing a M/W access link, and be utilized to make an efficient usage of high frequency bands for the short mobile broadband backhaul.
M/W;Backhaul;Path length;Rain rate;Received signal level
- Y. H Kang, etc, A study on the spectrum sharing and technical criterion of the microwave relay spectrum, R&D Report of Broadcasting & Communication Policy, December 2014.
- ECC Report 173, Fixed service in Europe; current use and future trends post 2011, March 2012.
- ITU-R Report F.2323-0, Fixed service use and future trends, 2014.
- ITU-R Rec. P.838-3, Specific attenuation model for rain for use in prediction methods, 2005.
- ITU-R Rec. P.530-16, Prediction data and prediction methods required for the design of terrestrial line-of-sight systems, 2015.
- ITU-R, Rec. P.837-6, Characteristics of precipitation for propagation modelling, 2012.
- R. K. Manjunath, etc, "Design of high capacity microwave link between two cities," International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer and Communication Engineering, Vol. 2, Issue 7, pp.5164-5169, July 2014.
- U. Kesavan, etc, "Comparison of microwave path lengths between temperate and tropical region based on effects of rain," in Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, Moscow: Russia, pp. 504-507, August 2012.
- R. K. Manjunath, etc, "Design of short haul high capacity intra city microwave access link for transport of cellular traffic," International Journal of Emerging Engineering Research and Technology, Vol. 2, Issue 6, pp. 167-175, September 2014.
- Y. H. Kang and J. P. Chung "Analysis of prediction models for DTV field strength in domestic rural propagation Environment," The Journal of Korea Navigation Institute, Vol 17, No 6, pp. 638-645, December 2013.
- FCC, 47 CFR Part 101-Fixed Microwave Services.
- RA, UK radio interface requirement 2000, February 2002.
- ACA, Microwave radio spectrum trends: accommodating the demands of growth, new technologies and relocation, February 2000.
Supported by : KCA