- Volume 19 Issue 6
Binary MQ arithmetic coding is widely used recently as a basic entropy coder in multimedia coding system. MQ coder esteems high in compression efficiency to be used in JBIG2 and JPEG2000. The importance of arithmetic coding is increasing after it is adopted as an unique entropy coder in HEVC standard. In the binary MQ coder, arithmetic approximation without multiplication is used in the process of recursive subdivision of range interval. Because of the MPS/LPS exchange activity happened in MQ coder, output byte tends to increase. This paper proposes an enhanced binary MQ arithmetic coder to make use of a lookup table for AQe using quantization skill in order to reduce the deficiency. Experimental results show that about 4% improvement of compression in case of JBIG2 for bi-level image compression standard. And also, about 1% improvement of compression ratio is obtained in case of lossless JPEG2000 coding. For the lossy JPEG2000 coding, about 1% improvement of PSNR at the same compression ratio. Additionally, computational complexity is not increasing.
Binary MQ arithmetic coder;Entropy coder;JBIG2;JPEG2000;Q coder
- J. J. Rissanen, "Generalized Kraft inequality and arithmetic coding," IBM Journal of Research & Development, Vol. 20, pp. 198-203. 1976. https://doi.org/10.1147/rd.203.0198
- X. Tian, T.M. Le, and Y. Lian, Review of CAVLC, arithmetic coding, and CABAC, in Entropy Coders of the H.264/AVC Standard, 1st ed. Berlin: Springer, ch. 2, pp. 29-39, 2011.
- N. Abramson. Information Theory and Coding, 1st ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1963.
- I. H. Witten, R. M. Neal, and J. G. Cleary, “Arithmetic coding for data compression,” Communication of the ACM, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 520-540, June 1987. https://doi.org/10.1145/214762.214771
- G. G. Langdon, Jr, "An introduction to arithmetic coding," IBM Journal of Research & Development, Vol. 28 No. 2 pp. 135-149, March 1984 https://doi.org/10.1147/rd.282.0135
- P. G. Howard and J. S. Vitter, "Arithmetic coding for data compression," Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 82, No. 6, pp. 856-865, June 1994.
- A. Moffat, R.M Neal, and H. Witten, "Arithmetic coding, revisited," ACM Transaction on Information Systems, 16(3), pp. 256-294, July 1998. https://doi.org/10.1145/290159.290162
- A. Said, "Introduction to arithmetic coding: theory and practice, technical report," HPL-2004-76, HP Laboratories, Palo Alto, USA, 2004.
- W. B. Pennebaker, J. L. Mitchell, G. G. Langdon Jr., and R. B. Arps, “An overview of the basic principles of the Q-coder adaptive binary arithmetic coder,” IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 717-726, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1147/rd.326.0717
- ITU-T Recommendation T.81, Information technology - digital compression and coding of continuous-tone still images - requirements and guidelines, 1993.
- ITU-T Recommendation T.82, Information technology - coded representation of picture and audio information - progressive bi-level image compression, March 1993.
- ITU-T Recommendation T.88, Information technology-lossy/lossless coding of bi-level images, 2000.
- ITU-T Recommendation T.89, Application profiles for recommendation T.88 - lossy/lossless coding of bi-level images for facsimile, Sept. 2001.
- ISO/IEC 15444-1:2004, Information technology - JPEG 2000 image coding system: Part 1: core coding system, 2004.
- D. Marpe, Fast adaptive binary arithmetic coding (M Coder) [internet] Available: http://iphome.hhi.de/marpe/mcoder.htm
- D. Marpe and T. Wiegand, "A highly efficient multiplication-free binary arithmetic coder and its application in video coding," Proceedings IEEE International. Conference Image Processing (ICIP), Barcelona, Spain, September 2003.
- D. Marpe, H. Schwartz, and T. Wigland, “Context-based adaptive binary arithmetic coding in the H.264/AVC video compression standard,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 13, No. 17, pp. 620-636, July, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2003.815173
- D. Marpe, G. Marten, and H. L. Cycon, "A fast renormalization technique for H.264/MPEG4-AVC arithmetic coding," in Proceedings 51st Internationales Wissenschaftliches Kolloquium (IWK), Ilmenau University of Technology, Ilmenau: Germany, Sept. 2006
- Michael Adams, JPEG2000 Jasper project, University of Victoria. [internet], Available: http://www.ece.uvic.ca/-frodo/jasper/
Supported by : 광운대학교