- Volume 19 Issue 6
This paper presents an application of heuristic harmony search (HS) optimization algorithm for the identification of linear continuous time-delay system from step response. Identification model is first-order plus dead time (FOPDT), which describes a linear monotonic process quite well in most chemical processes and HAVC process and is often sufficient for PID controller tuning. This recently developed HS algorithm is conceptualized using the musical process of searching for a perfect state of harmony. It uses a stochastic random search instead of a gradient search so that derivative information is unnecessary. The effectiveness of the identification method has been demonstrated through a number of simulation examples.
Harmony search;Heuristic;Optimization;First-order plus dead time;Step response;Stochastic random search
- H. Kurz and W. Goedecke, “Digital parameter-adaptive control of process with unknown dead time,” Automatica, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 245-252, Jan. 1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(81)90099-6
- S. Sagara, and Z. Y. Zhao, "Numerical integration approach to on-line identification of continuous-time systems," Automatica, Vol. 26. No. 1,pp. 63-74, Jan. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(90)90158-E
- P. E. Wellstead, "Non-parametric methods of system identification," Automatica, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.55-69, Jan. 1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(81)90084-4
- L. Ljung, "On the estimation of transfer functions," Automatica, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp 677-696. Nov. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(85)90042-1
- M. Yuwana and D.E. Seborg, "A new method for on-line controller tuning', American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp 434-440, May 1982. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690280311
- A. Jutan and E.S. Rodriguez II, "Extension of a new method for on-line controller tuning," Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 62, pp. 802-807, Dec. 1984. https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.5450620610
- K.J. Astrom, and T. Hagglund, PID Controllers: Theory, Design, and Tuning, 2nd ed. Triangle Park, NC: Instrument Society of America, 1995.
- Q. Bi, Q. G. Wang and C. C. Hang, "Relay-based estimation of multiple points on process frequency response," Automatica, Vol. 33, No. 9, pp 1753-1757, Sep. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-1098(97)00090-3
- F. G. Shinskey, Process Control Systems, Application, Design, and Tuning, 3rd ed., New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- T. E. Marlin, Process Control. Designing processes and Control System for Dynamic Performance, New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1995.
- R. Mamat, and P. J. Fleming, “Method for on-line identification of a first order plus dead-time process model,” Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 15, pp. 1297-1298, Jul. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19950865
- Gang-Wook Shin, Young-Joo Song, Tae-Bong Lee and Hong-Kyoo Choi, "Genetic algorithm for identification of time delay systems from step response," International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, Vol. 5, pp. 79-85, Feb. 2007.
- Z. W. Geem, J.-H. Kim, G. V. Loganathan, "A new heuristic optimization algorithm: harmony search," Simulation, Vol. 76, No. 2, pp. 60-68, 2001 https://doi.org/10.1177/003754970107600201
- K. S. Lee and Z. W. Geem, “A new meta-heuristic algorithm for continues engineering optimization: harmony search theory and practice,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics Engineering, Vol. 194 , No. 36-38, pp. 3902-3933, Sep. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2004.09.007
- Z. W. Geem, “Effects of initial memory and identical harmony in global optimization using harmony search algorithm,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 218 , No. 22, pp. 11337-11343, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2012.04.070
- Z. W. Geem, Recent Advances in Harmony Search Algorithm , Warsaw: Poland, Springer-Verlag, 2010
- Identification of Continuous System from Step Response using HS Optimization Algorithm vol.65, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEEP.2016.65.4.292