- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Three dimensional accuracy analysis of dental stone casts fabricated using irreversible hydrocolloid impressions
알지네이트 인상체에서 제작된 치과용 석고 모형의 정확도에 대한 삼차원 디지털 분석
- Joo, Young-Hun (Department of Prosthodontics, Daejeon Dental Hospital, Wonkwang University) ;
- Lee, Jin-Han (Department of Prosthodontics, Daejeon Dental Hospital, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2015.10.23
- Accepted : 2015.12.03
- Published : 2015.12.31
Purpose: The objects of this study was to evaluate the accuracy of the dental stone casts made from alginate impressions according to storage condition and stone pouring time. Materials and Methods: Each of upper and lower impressions of dental model was taken. The dental stone models were made immediately, 10, 30, 60, 180, 360 minutes after the impressions were taken at each storage condition. 3D models were constructed by scanning the stone model using 3D laser scanner. With Reference points, positioned on digital models, linear measurements of the dimensional change were compared by 3D metrology software, 3D average models were made and superimposition to identify the specific site of dimensional change and to measure surface deviation (mm). Results: Dental stone models which were made immediately after taking the impression showed the smallest linear dimensional change. As the stone pouring time was prolonged, the linear dimensional change was increased. More than 180 minutes after impression taking, linear dimensional change and surface distortion increased in the posterior molar region, regardless of the storage condition. Conclusion: For the optimum accuracy of the dental stone casts, alginate impression should be poured as soon as possible. If there were a need for storing, a humidor with 100% relative humidity must be used and be stored less than 180 minutes to fabricate the accurate dental model.
alginate impression;dimensional stability;3D superimposition
Supported by : 원광대학교
- Anusavice KJ. Phillips' science of dental materials. 12th ed. St. Louis; Elsevier Inc.; 2013. p. 171-6.
- Rubel BS. Impression materials: a comparative review of impression materials most commonly used in restorative dentistry. Dent Clin North Am 2007;51:629-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2007.03.006
- Donovan TE, Chee WW. A review of contemporary impression materials and techniques. Dent Clin North Am 2004;48:445-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2003.12.014
- Nandini VV, Venkatesh KV, Nair KC. Alginate impressions: a practical perspective. J Conserv Dent 2008;11:37-41. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-0707.43416
- Cook W. Alginate dental impression materials: chemistry, structure, and properties. J Biomed Mater Res 1986;20:1-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/jbm.820200103
- Sedda M, Casarotto A, Raustia A, Borracchini A. Effect of storage time on the accuracy of casts made from different irreversible hydrocolloids. J Contemp Dent Pract 2008;9:59-66.
- Rudd KD, Morrow RM, Bange AA. Accurate casts. J Prosthet Dent 1969;21:545-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(69)90078-X
- Eissmann HF, Rudd KD, Morrow RM. Diagnostic procedures. In: Dental laboratory procedures: fixed partial dentures. Vol. 2. St. Louis; Mosby; 1980. p 1-29.
- Erbe C, Ruf S, Wostmann B, Balkenhol M. Dimensional stability of contemporary irreversible hydrocolloids: humidor versus wet tissue storage. J Prosthet Dent 2012;108:114-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(12)60117-6
- Walker MP, Burckhard J, Mitts DA, Williams KB. Dimensional change over time of extended-storage alginate impression materials. Angle Orthod 2010;80:1110-5. https://doi.org/10.2319/031510-150.1
- Nassar U, Aziz T, Flores-Mir C. Dimensional stability of irreversible hydrocolloid impression materials as a function of pouring time: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent 2011;106:126-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(11)60108-X
- Johnson GH, Craig RG. Accuracy of four types of rubber impression materials compared with time of pour and a repeat pour of models. J Prosthet Dent 1985;53:484-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(85)90630-4
- Wadhwa SS, Mehta R, Duggal N, Vasudeva K. The effect of pouring time on the dimensional accuracy of casts made from different irreversible hydrocolloid impression materials. Contemp Clin Dent 2013;4:313-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/0976-237X.118368
- Cohen BI, Pagnillo M, Deutsch AS, Musikant BL. Dimensional accuracy of three different alginate impression materials. J Prosthodont 1995;4:195-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.1995.tb00340.x
- Oh NS, Seo JM, Kim SH, Youn YA, Shim JS. Agaralginate combined impression technique and dimensional change resulting from idophor disinfection. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2004;42:21-9.
- Alcan T, Ceylanoglu C, Baysal B. The relationship between digital model accuracy and time-dependent deformation of alginate impressions. Angle Orthod 2009;79:30-6. https://doi.org/10.2319/100307-475.1
- Sousa MV, Vasconcelos EC, Janson G, Garib D, Pinzan A. Accuracy and reproducibility of 3-dimensional digital model measurements. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2012;142:269-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2011.12.028
- Roesnstiel SF, Land MF, Fujimoto J. Contemporary fixed prosthodontics. 4th ed. St. Louis; Mosby; 2006.
- Dreesen K, Kellens A, Wevers M, Thilakarathne PJ, Willems G. The influence of mixing methods and disinfectant on the physical properties of alginate impression materials. Eur J Orthod 2013;35:381-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/cjs031
- Frank RP, Thielke SM, Johnson GH. The influence of tray type and other variables on the palatal depth of casts made from irreversible hydrocolloid impressions. J Prosthet Dent 2002;87:15-22. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2002.121026
- Ashley M, McCullagh A, Sweet C. Making a good impression: (a 'how to' paper on dental alginate). Dent Update 2005;32:169-70, 172, 174-5. https://doi.org/10.12968/denu.2005.32.3.169
- Sakaguchi RL, Powers JM. Craig's restorative dental materials. 13th ed. Philadelphia; Elsevier Inc.; 2012.
- Song KY, Yang JH, Lee SH, Chung HY. A study on dimensional stability of impression materials following immersion disinfection. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 1999;37:506-15.
- Nassar U, Hussein B, Oko A, Carey JP, Flores-Mir C. Dimensional accuracy of 2 irreversible hydrocolloid alternative impression materials with immediate and delayed pouring. J Can Dent Assoc 2012;78:c2.
- Teeter MG, Naudie DD, McErlain DD, Brandt JM, Yuan X, Macdonald SJ, Holdsworth DW. In vitro quantification of wear in tibial inserts using microcomputed tomography. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2011;469:107-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-010-1490-6
- ADA Council on Scientific Affairs and ADA Council on Dental Practice. Infection control recommendations for the dental office and the dental laboratory. J Am Dent Assoc 1996;127:672-80. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1996.0280
- Accuracy evaluation of dental models manufactured by CAD/CAM milling method and 3D printing method vol.10, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4047/jap.2018.10.3.245