- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Mandibular implant-natural tooth retained overdenture using magnetic attachment with stress breaker
하악에서 완압형 자성 어태치먼트를 부착한 임플란트-자연치 피개 의치: 10년 증례보고
- Received : 2015.08.28
- Accepted : 2015.12.08
- Published : 2015.12.31
Overdenture has the advantage of improving the stability and retention of the denture but the abutment may be easily affected by caries or periodontal disease and the thin denture can be easily broken. The magnetic attachment overdenture has a high vertical retention but a low horizontal retention, thus, exerting a less disruptive force to the abutment or implant and shows less abrasion or damage compared to other mechanical retainers. Denture fractures in overdenture is caused by the thin denture base as the attachment is inserted, but it may also be caused by the difference in detrusion between soft tissue and hard tissue, and between an implant and a natural tooth. To compensate this shortcoming, a magnetic attachment with a silicone ball inserted in the magnet was developed as we report a successful case using this specific type of magnetic attachment overdenture.
- Fueki K, Kimoto K, Ogawa T, Garrett NR. Effect of implant-supported or retained dentures on masticatory performance: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent 2007;98:470-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(07)60147-4
- Fitzpatrick B. Standard of care for the edentulous mandible: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent 2006;95:71-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2005.11.007
- Kim HY, Shin SW, Lee JY. Standardizing the evaluation criteria on treatment outcomes of mandibular implant overdentures: a systematic review. J Adv Prosthodont 2014;6:325-32. https://doi.org/10.4047/jap.2014.6.5.325
- Lord JL, Teel S. The overdenture: patient selection, use of copings, and follow-up evaluation. J Prosthet Dent 1974;32:41-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(74)90097-3
- Takanashi Y, Penrod JR, Lund JP, Feine JS. A cost comparison of mandibular two-implant overdenture. Int J Prosthodont 2004;17:181-6.
- Tokuhisa M, Matsushita Y, Koyano K. In vitro study of a mandibular implant overdenture retained with ball, magnet, or bar attachments: comparison of load transfer and denture stability. Int J Prosthodont 2003;16:128-34.
- Ichikawa T, Horiuchi M, Wigianto R, Matsumoto N. In vitro study of mandibular implant-retained overdentures: the influence of stud attachments on load transfer to the implant and soft tissue. Int J Prosthodont 1996;9:394-9.
- Kimoto S, Pan S, Drolet N, Feine JS. Rotational movements of mandibular two-implant overdentures. Clin Oral Implants Res 2009;20:838-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2009.01723.x
- Sheets CG, Earthman JC. Tooth intrusion in implant-assisted prostheses. J Prosthet Dent 1997;77: 39-45. Review. Erratum in: J Prosthet Dent 1997;77:453. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(97)70172-0
- Elsyad MA, El-Waseef FA, Al-Mahdy YF, Fouad MM. A comparison of mandibular denture base deformation with different impression techniques for implant overdentures. Clin Oral Implants Res 2013;24 Suppl A100:127-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2011.02395.x
- Gonda T, Maeda Y, Walton JN, MacEntee MI. Fracture incidence in mandibular overdentures retained by one or two implants. J Prosthet Dent 2010;103:178-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(10)60026-1
- Dong J, Ikebe K, Gonda T, Nokubi T. Influence of abutment height on strain in a mandibular overdenture. J Oral Rehabil 2006;33:594-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2005.01602.x
- Goodacre CJ, Kan JY, Rungcharassaeng K. Clinical complications of osseointegrated implants. J Prosthet Dent 1999;81:537-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(99)70208-8
- Assuncao WG, Tabata LF, Barao VA, Rocha EP. Comparison of stress distribution between complete denture and implant-retained overdenture-2D FEA. J Oral Rehabil 2008;35:766-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2008.01851.x
- Rissin L, House JE, Manly RS, Kapur KK. Clinical comparison of masticatory performance and electromyographic activity of patients with complete dentures, overdentures, and natural teeth. J Prosthet Dent 1978;39:508-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(78)80181-4
- Choi M, Acharya V, Berg RW, Marotta J, Green CC, Barbizam JV, White SN. Resinous denture base fracture resistance: effects of thickness and teeth. Int J Prosthodont 2012;25:53-9.
- Gonda T, Ikebe K, Ono T, Nokubi T. Effect of magnetic attachment with stress breaker on lateral stress to abutment tooth under overdenture. J Oral Rehabil 2004;31:1001-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2004.01324.x
- Sadowsky SJ, Caputo AA. Effect of anchorage systems and extension base contact on load transfer with mandibular implant-retained overdentures. J Prosthet Dent 2000;84:327-34. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpr.2000.109378
- Weinberg LA. The biomechanics of force distribution in implant-supported prostheses. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1993;8:19-31.
- Muhlemann HR. Tooth mobility: a review of clinical aspects and research findings. J Periodontol 1967;38:686-713. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1967.38.6_part2.686
Supported by : 조선대학교 치과병원