- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Quantitative Analysis for Plasma Etch Modeling Using Optical Emission Spectroscopy: Prediction of Plasma Etch Responses
- Received : 2015.09.09
- Accepted : 2015.12.18
- Published : 2015.12.30
Monitoring of plasma etch processes for fault detection is one of the hallmark procedures in semiconductor manufacturing. Optical emission spectroscopy (OES) has been considered as a gold standard for modeling plasma etching processes for on-line diagnosis and monitoring. However, statistical quantitative methods for processing the OES data are still lacking. There is an urgent need for a statistical quantitative method to deal with high-dimensional OES data for improving the quality of etched wafers. Therefore, we propose a robust relevance vector machine (RRVM) for regression with statistical quantitative features for modeling etch rate and uniformity in plasma etch processes by using OES data. For effectively dealing with the OES data complexity, we identify seven statistical features for extraction from raw OES data by reducing the data dimensionality. The experimental results demonstrate that the proposed approach is more suitable for high-accuracy monitoring of plasma etch responses obtained from OES.
Plasma Process Modeling;Statistical Quantitative Feature;Semiconductor Manufacturing;Robust Relevance Vector Machine;Optical Emission Spectroscopy
- Bayissa, W. L., Haritos, N., and Thelandersson, S. (2008), Vibration-based structural damage identification using wavelet transformation, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 22, 1194-1215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2007.11.001
- Bishop, C. M. (2006), Pattern recognition and machine learning, Springer.
- Guo, H., Jack, L. B.m and Nandi, A. K. (2005), Feature generation using genetic programming with application to fault classification, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part B: Cybernetics, 35(1), 89-99. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2004.841426
- Hastie, T., Tibshirani, R., and Friedman, J. (2001), The elements of statistical learning, New York: Springer.
- Hitchon, W. N. G. (1999), Plasma processing for semiconductor fabrication, Cambridge University Press.
- Hong, S. J. and May, G. S. (2005), Neural-network-based sensor fusion of optical emission and mass spectroscopy data for real-time fault detection in reactive ion etching, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 52(4), 1063-1072. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2005.851663
- Hong, S. J., May, G. S., Park, D.-C. (2003), Neural network modeling of reactive ion etching using optical emission spectroscopy data, IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, 16(4), 598-608. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSM.2003.818976
- Hwang, S., Jeong, M. K., and Yum, B. J. (2014), Robust relevance vector machine with variational inference for improving virtual metrology accuracy, IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, 27 (1), 83-94. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSM.2013.2286498
- Kim, B., Bae, J. K., and Hong, W.-S. (2005), Plasma control using neural network and optical emission spectroscopy, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, 23(2), 355-358. https://doi.org/10.1116/1.1851542
- Kim, B. and Kim, S. (2005), Diagnosis of plasma proces- sing equipment using neural network recognition of wavelet-filtered impedance matching, Microelectronic Engineering, 82, 44-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mee.2005.05.007
- Kim, B. and Kim, W. S. (2007), Wavelet monitoring of spatial surface roughness for plasma diagnosis, Microelectronic Engineering, 84, 2810-2816. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mee.2007.02.006
- Kim, B., Kim, J., Lee, S. H., Park, J., and Lee, B. T. (2005), Plasma etching of silicon oxynitride in a low pressure C2F6 plasma, Journal of Korean Physics Society, 47, 712-715.
- Kim, B. and Kim, W. (2007), Partial X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy to constructing neural network model of plasma etching surface, Microelectronic Engineering, 84, 584-589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mee.2006.11.010
- Kim, B. and Kwon, M. (2008), Optimization of PCAapplied in-situ spectroscopy data using neural network and genetic algorithm, Applied Spectroscopy, 62(1), 73-77. https://doi.org/10.1366/000370208783412717
- Kim, B. and Park, M. (2006), Prediction of surface roughness using X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and neural networks, Applied Spectroscopy, 60(10), 1192-1197. https://doi.org/10.1366/000370206778664554
- Ko, Y.-D., Jeong, Y. S., Jeong, M. K., Garcia-Diaz, A., and Kim, B. (2010), Functional kernel-based modeling of wavelet compressed optical emission spectral data: Prediction of plasma etch process, IEEE Sensors Journal, 10(3), 746-754. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2009.2038569
- Kolari, K. (2008), Deep plasma etching of glass with a silicon shadow mask, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 141, 677-684. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2007.09.005
- Picard, R. W., Vyzas, E., and Healey, J. (2001), Toward machine emotional intelligence: Analysis of affective physiological state, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 23(10), 1175-1191. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.954607
- Rosipal, R. and Trejo, L. J. (2001), Kernel partial least squares regression in reproducing kernel Hilbert space, Journal of Machine Learning Research, 2, 97-123.
- Sugawara, M. (1998), Plasma etching fundamentals and applications, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Zhang, G.-M., Harvey, D. M., and Braden, D. R. (2006), Resolution improvement of acoustic micro-imaging by continuous wavelet transform for semiconductor inspection, Microelectronics Reliability, 46, 811-821. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2005.07.008
Supported by : Chonnam National University