- Volume 23 Issue 4
The cyclone separator is a simple device, which causes the centrifugal separation of materials such as droplets or particles in a fluid stream. The cyclone separator utilizes the energy obtained from fluid pressure and linear motion to create rotational fluid motion. This rotational motion leads the materials suspended in the fluid to separate from the fluid quickly due to the centrifugal force. The rotation is produced by the tangential or involuted introduction of fluid into the vessel. These materials may be droplets of fuel in blow-by gas through an engine. Droplets suspended in the feed liquid may separate according to size, shape, or density. And the change of part dimension in a cyclone separator can yield the its performance variation. The current study shows the influence of design parameters on the performance of a cyclone separator for blow-by gas.
Cyclone separator;Oil droplet;Two-phase flow;Rotational flow
- Ogawa, A., "Experimental Study of the Angular and Axial Momentum Fluxes in the Cylindrical Vortex Chambers", World Congress III of Chemical Engineering, TyoKo, Vol. II, 1986, pp. 208.
- 임함, 김동현, 김유성, 김요한, 김석수, "충격파 및 유동박리 효과를 고려한 초임계 에어포일의 천음속 플러터 특성", 한국항공운항학회, 제17권, 제2호, 2009, pp.8-17.
- Dong, L., Johansen, S. T., and Engh, T. A., "Flow Induced by an Impeller in an Unbaffled Tank-II: Numerical Modeling," Chem. Eng. Sci., 49, 1994, pp. 3511-3518. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(94)00150-2
- Gosman, A. D., Lekakou, C., Politis, S., Issa, R. I., and Looney, M. K. "Multidimensional Modeling of Turbulent Two-Phase Flows in Stirred Vessels," AIChE J., 38, 1992, pp. 1946-1956. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690381210
- Kim, S. D., and Song, D. J., "Computations of Droplet Impingement on Airfoils in Two-Phase Flow", KSME International Journal, Vol. 19, Dec. 2005, pp.2312-2320.
- Climate Change 2007, Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Smith, J. L., "An Experimental Study of the Vortex in the Cyclone Separator", Trans. ASME Dec. 1962, pp. 602.