- Volume 4 Issue 3
The study presents a preliminary investigation on the applicability of Shirasu (a pyroclastic flow deposit characterized by high percentage of volcanic glass) in geopolymer. Comparative study on compressive strength and internal pore structure has been done between geopolymers with alkali activated Shirasu and fly ash as aluminosilicates. Mortar mix proportions are selected based on variations in ratio of alkaline activators to aluminosilicate and also on silica to alkali hydroxide ratio. From the experimental study, Shirasu geopolymer exhibited fairly good compressive strength. Mix proportion based on silica to alkali hydroxide ratio is observed to have profound effect on strength development.
aluminosilicate;alkali activation;geopolymer;polymerization;pyroclastic flow;Shirasu
- Bashir, S.U. (2015), "Effect of alkali materials on geo polymer concrete", Int. J. Civil Eng. Tech., 6(1), 1-13.
- Chindaprasirt, P. and Chalee, W. (2014), "Effect of sodium hydroxide concentration on chloride penetration and steel corrosion of fly ash-based geopolymer concrete under marine site", Constr. Build. Mater., 63, 303-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.04.010
- Deb, P.S., Nath, P. and Sarker, P.K. (2014), "The effects of ground granulated blast-furnace slag blending with fly ash and activator content on the workability and strength properties of geopolymer concrete cured at ambient temperature", Mater. Des., 62, 32-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.05.001
- Duxson, P., Fernandez-Jimenez, A., Provis, J. L., Lukey, G.C., Palomo, A. and Van Deventer, J.S.J. (2007), "Geopolymer technology: the current state of the art", J. Mater. Sci., 42(9), 2917-2933. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-006-0637-z
- Ganesan, N., Indira, P.V. and Santhakumar, A. (2013), "Engineering properties of steel fibre reinforced geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concr. Constr., 1(4), 305-318. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc2013.1.4.305
- Habert, G. d'Espinose de Lacaillerie, J.B. and Roussel, N. (2011), "An environmental evaluation of geopolymer based concrete production: reviewing current research trends", J. Clean. Prod., 19(11), 1229-1238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2011.03.012
- Hanjitsuwan, S., Hunpratub, S., Thongbai, P., Maensiri, S., Sata, V. and Chindaprasirt, P. (2014), "Effects of NaOH concentrations on physical and electrical properties of high calcium fly ash geopolymer paste", Cement Concr. Comp., 45, 9-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2013.09.012
- Hardjito, D., Wallah, S.E., Sumajouw, D.M. and Rangan, B.V. (2004), "On the development of fly ash-based geopolymer concrete", ACI Mater. J., 101(6), 467-472.
- Joseph, B. and Mathew, G. (2012), "Influence of aggregate content on the behavior of fly ash based geopolymer concrete", Scient. Iranica, 19(5), 1188-1194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scient.2012.07.006
- Joshi, S.V. and Kadu, M.S. (2012), "Role of alkaline activator in development of eco-friendly fly ash based geo polymer concrete", Int. J. Environ. Sci. Dvlp., 3(5), 417-421.
- Katpady, D.N., Takewaka, K., Yamaguchi, T., Moritaka, Y. and Tatara, Y. (2012), "Experimental study on deterioration monitoring of shirasu concrete in hot spring environment", Int. J. Earth Sci. Eng., 05(04), 1020-1026.
- Khatera, H.M. and Abd el Gawaad, H.A. (2015), "Characterization of alkali activated geopolymer mortar doped with MWCNT", Adv. Mater. Res., 4(1), 45-61. https://doi.org/10.12989/amr.2015.4.1.45
- Kong, D.L.Y. and Sanjayan, J.G. (2010), "Effect of elevated temperatures on geopolymer paste, mortar and concrete", Cement Concr. Res., 40(2), 334-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2009.10.017
- Lloyd, N.A. and Rangan, B.V. (2010), "Geopolymer concrete with fly ash", Second International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy.
- Motorwala, A., Shah, V., Kammula, R., Nannapaneni, P. and Raijiwala, D.B. (2013), "Alkali activated fly-ash based geopolymer concrete", Int. J. Emerg. Tech. Adv.Eng., 3(1), 159-166.
- Olivia, M. and Nikraz, H. (2012), "Properties of fly ash geopolymer concrete designed by Taguchi method", Mater. Des., 36, 191-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.10.036
- Rattanasak, U. and Chindaprasirt, P. (2009), "Influence of NaOH solution on the synthesis of fly ash geopolymer", Miner. Eng., 22(12), 1073-1078. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2009.03.022
- Sanni, S.H. and Khadiranaikar, R.B. (2013), "Performance of alkaline solutions on grades of geopolymer concrete", Int. J. Res. Eng. Tech., IC-RICE Conference Issue, 366-371.
- Shah, K.C., Parikh, A.R. and Parmar, K.J. (2014), "Study of strength parameters and durability of fly ash based geopolymer concrete", Paripex - Indian J. Res., 3(7), 207-210.
- Shaikh, F.U.A. (2014), "Effects of alkali solutions on corrosion durability of geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concr. Const., 2(2), 109-123. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.2.109
- Takewaka, K. (2004), "State-of-art-report on characteristics of shirasu concrete and its practical use", Concr. J., 42(3), 38-47. (in Japanese)
- Takewaka, K. and Kawamata, K. (1991), "Durability of concrete using pyroclastic flow deposit for fine aggregates", Proceedings of Second Canada/Japan Workshop, Ottawa.
- Temuujin, J., van Riessen, A. and MacKenzie, K.J.D. (2010), "Preparation and characterisation of fly ash based geopolymer mortars", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(10), 1906-1910. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.04.012
- Temuujin, J., van Riessen, A. and Williams, R. (2009), "Influence of calcium compounds on the mechanical properties of fly ash geopolymer pastes", J. Hazard. Mater., 167, 82-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.12.121
Turner, L.K. and Collins, F.G. (2013), "Carbon dioxide equivalent (
$CO_2$-e) emissions: a comparison between geopolymer and OPC cement concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 43, 125-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.01.023