- Volume 18 Issue 6
The purpose of this study is to understand the cavitation phenomena in centrifugal pumps through computational fluid dynamics method. NPSH characteristic curve is measured from different flow operating conditions. Steady state, liquid-vapor homogeneous method with two equations transport turbulence model is employed to estimate the NPSH curve in centrifugal pumps. The Rayleigh-Plesset cavitation model is adapted as source term for inter-phase mass transfer in order to understand cavitation phenomena in centrifugal pumps. The cavitation incipient curve is clearly estimated at different flows operating conditions. A relationship is made between cavitation incipient and NPSH curve. Also the effects on water vapor volume fraction and pressure load distributions on the impeller blade are also described.
캐비테이션 모델;캐비테이션 시작점;유효흡입수두특성;수치적 연구
- Schiavello, B. and Visser, F. C. 2009, "Pump Cavitation-Various NPSHR Criteria, NPSHA Margins, and Impeller Life Expectancy", In Proceedings of the 25th International Pump Users Symposium, pp. 113-144.
- Japan Association of Agriculture Engineering Enterprises, 1991, "Pumping Station Engineering Hand Book", Tokyo, pp. 50-90.
- Shin, B. R., Yamamoto, S., and Yuan, X., 2004, "Application of preconditioning method to gas-liquid two-phase flow computations", J. of Fluids Engineering, ASME, Vol. 126, pp. 605-612. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1777230
- Pouffary, B., Patella, R. F., Reboud, J. L., and Lambert, P. A., 2008, "Numerical simulation of 3D cavitating flows analysis of cavitation head drop in turbomachinery", Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 130, No. 6, pp. 301-310.
- Coutier-Delgosha, O., Fortes-Patella, R., and Reboud, J. L., 2003, "Evaluation of the turbulence model influence on the numerical simulations of unsteady cavitation", Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 125, No. 1, pp. 38-45. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1524584
- Passandideh-Fard, M. and Roohi, E., 2008, "Transient simulations of cavitating flows using a modified volume of fluid (VOF) technique", Int. J. Computational Fluid Dynamics, Vol. 22, No. 1-2, pp. 97-114. https://doi.org/10.1080/10618560701733657
- Senocak, I. and Shyy, W., 2001, "Numerical simulation of turbulent flows with sheet cavitation", Int. Symp. on Cavitation, Vol. A7, pp. 2-8.
- Arakeri, V. H. and Acosta, A. J., 1973, "Viscous effects in the inception of cavitation on axisymmetric bodies", Journal of fluids engineering, Vol. 95, No. 4, pp. 519-527. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3447065
- Bakir, F., Rey, R., Gerber, A. G., Belamri, T. and Hutchinson, B., 2004, "Numerical and experimental investigations of the cavitating behavior of an inducer", International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Vol. 10, pp. 15-25. https://doi.org/10.1155/S1023621X04000028
- Medvitz, R. B., Kunz, R. F., Boger, D. A., Lindau, J. W., Yocum, A. M., and Pauley, L. L., 2002, "Performance analysis of cavitating flow in centrifugal pumps using multiphase CFD", Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 124, No. 2, pp. 377-383. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1457453
- Kim, D. H., Park, W. G., and Jung, C. M., 2012, "Numerical simulation of cavitating flow past axisymmetric body", International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 256-266. https://doi.org/10.3744/JNAOE.2012.4.3.256
- Singhal, A. K., Athavale, M. M., Li, H., and Jiang, Y., 2002, "Mathematical basis and validation of the full cavitation model", Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 124, No. 3, pp. 617-624. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1486223
- Kunz, R. F., Boger, D. A., Stinebring, D. R. et al., 2000, "A preconditioned Navier-Stokes method for two phase flows with application to cavitation prediction", Computers & Fluids, Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 849-875. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7930(99)00039-0
- Senocak, I. and Shyy, W., 2002, "A pressure based method for turbulent cavitating flow components", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 179, No. 2, pp. 363-383.
- Ansys Inc. 2013, ANSYS-CFX (CFX Introduction, CFX Reference guide, CFX Tutorials, CFX-Pre User's Guide, CFX-Solver Manager User's Guide, Theory Guide), release 14.5, USA.
- Georgiadis, N. J., Yoder, D. A., and Engblom, W. B., 2006, Evaluation of modified two-equation turbulence models for jet flow predictions. AIAA Journal, Vol. 44, No. 12, pp. 3107-3114. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.22650
- Suh, S. H., Kim, H. H., Cho, M. T., and Shin, B. R., 2015, "Cavitating Flow Analysis of Multistage Centrifugal Pump", KSFM J. of Fluid Mach.,Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 65-71. https://doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2015.18.1.065