- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Follow-up Monitoring & Adaptive Management after Ecological Restoration for the Stream - Focused the Hakui Stream in Anyang City -
생태하천 복원 후 모니터링과 적응관리 - 안양시 학의천을 중심으로 -
Choi, jungkwon;Choi, mikyoung;Choi, cheolbin
- Received : 2015.10.30
- Accepted : 2015.12.30
- Published : 2015.12.31
Recent years, nationwide projects for ecological restoration are implemented with emerging issues on the stream ecosystem. In order to enhance effectiveness of the ecosystem restoration and reduce negative impact, the appraisal of effectiveness through the follow-up monitoring and the adaptive management process are executed in consecutive phase. In this study, planning phase, monitoring and adaptive management in Hakui stream which is part of An Yang stream restoration project is introduced as representative ongoing case of effective adaptive management. The aim of this study is to verify the adaptive management process and suggest direction of effective restoration. Restoration project of Hakui stream resulted in increasing number and diversity of species (vegetation, fish, bird, invertbrates, amphibian and reptilia) according to monitoring from 2004 to 2013, and enhancing natural river landscape by evaluation of river naturalness among 2001(before restoration), 2007 (after), 2015 (recent). However, excessive vegetation expansion or sediment deposition on channel over time caused unexpected results such as terrestrialization or degradation of habitats. Adaptive management action such as removing disturbance species (Humulus japonicus)(2007), coppicing willow (2007), release of march snail (2007), creation of wetland (2014) were implemented based on monitoring results. And then appraisal of management action was discussed.
Stream restoration;Implementation;Uncertainty;Post-project appraisals
- Anyang city. 2001. Anyang Stream Restoration Project.
- Anyang city. 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2013. "Anyang stream Monitoring".
- Ahn BC. 2013. The Constructability Evaluation of Ecological Restoration Construction Using Environment-friendly Design Factor - In the case of Construction of Gucheon Eco-River in Geoge City -.Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Tecnology.
- Choi JK. 2013. A Study on Application & Evaluation of Riverbed Techniques for the Formation of Hyporheic Zone. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 16(6): 119-133.
- Eco Innovation. 2013. Vegetation Survey Report.
- Hokkaido. 2010. Cultivation manual of willow in Hokkaido http://www.hkd.mlit.go.jp/topics/toukei/chousa/h22keikaku/04_2.pdf (Japanese).
- Hong KH. 2007. A Post-implementation Evaluation for Close-to-Nature Stream Improvement- Focused on the Hakui River. Kyungwon Univ.
- Jacobson C. 2003. Introduction to adaptive management. (Online) URL: http://student.lincoln.ac.nz/am-links/am-intro.html.
- Jo YH. 1997. A Study on Evaluation Method of Stream Naturalness for Ecological Restoration of Stream Corridors. Journal of Korean institute of landscape architecture.
- Jo YH. 2012. Development and Application of an Evaluation Method of Stream Naturalness. Korean Society of Water Quality.
- KICT. 2002. River Restoration Guideline.
- Kim JG. 2007. Ecological risk assessment and management of invasive vines for biodiversity and ecological functions in riverine wetland. Seoul Univ.
- Lee SO. 2011. The Practice and Evaluation of the Adaptive Management for the Stream Restoration: In the case of the Anyang Stream Restoration Project. Kyungwon Univ.
- Lee PH. 2002. Growth characteristics and community dynamics of riparian salix in south korea. Kyungsang Univ.
- Lee HY. 2015. Study of Adaptive Management for Ecosystem Restoration Projecte of On-Cheon Stream. Bukyung Univ.
- Lee HW, Kim DS, Lee SH. 2012. A Case Study of Post-Implementation Evaluation for Closeto- Nature Stream Improvement Work. Journal of academia-industrial technology.
- Margoluis R. ․ Salafsky N. 1998. Measures of Success: Designing, Managing, and Monitoring, Conservation and Development Projects. ISLAND PRESS.
- Nyberg 1999. An Introductory guide to adaptive management for project leaders and participants, BC Forest Service.
- The Ecological Society of Japan. 2005. Guideline for nature restoration projects, Japanese journal of conservation ecology 10(1): 63-75 (Japanese).
- USA EPA. 2008. Handbook for Developing Watershed Plans to Restore and Protect Our Waters: Chapter 2 Overview of Watershed Planning Process, http://www.epa.gov/owow/nps/watershed_handbook.
- Downs PW ․ Kondolf GM. 2002. Post-project appraisals in adaptive management of river channel restoration. Environmental Management 29(4): 477-496. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00267-001-0035-X