- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Study on the Utilization of Soil Seed Bank for the Restoration of Original Vegetation
원식생 복원을 위한 산림표토내의 매토종자 적정 활용방안 연구
Kim, Nam-Choon;Kim, Hoyeon;Choi, Mi Yeon
- Received : 2015.12.03
- Accepted : 2015.12.24
- Published : 2015.12.31
This study was conducted to identify forest topsoil's usefulness from July 2013 to Oct 2014. Generally, there are abundant seeds in topsoils and it can be used at restoration works. Mt. GARIWANG is famous for biodiversity in Korea. This study was aimed to find out the suitable utilization methods of natural topsoils for restoration works at sky-slopes construction sites. Test beds was made to identify suitable collecting times and suitable topsoil thickness. The main results are summarized as follows. First, Mt. GARIWANG have diverse species and in topsoils we can find lots of burried seeds which can be used at restoration works. Second, according to indoor experiment, as the depth of topsoil used thicker, the number of plants and coverage rates were increased. Also, there were no distinct differences in coverage rates between 5cm and 8cm thick topsoil plots and it can be possible to use at least 3cm thick topsoils even thou lower coverage rates. Third, as the results of research about indoor and outdoor experimental plots, there were difference in plant emergency. If we use the stabilizer to protect soil erosion, then we can get more increased results at sloped outdoor experimental plots. Fourth, based on environmental impact assessment, there was 389 species in whole region of Mt. GARIWANG. Through this seed bank experiments, we can find 23 varieties, including 4 tree varieties and 19 herbaceous varieties. We can find lots of native herbaceous species from topsoils. Fifth, this research was done at the specific area of Mt. GARIWANG and used limited topsoils. But we monitoring more longer periods, then there will be more useful outcomes. Finally by researching topsoils of Mt. GARIWANG, we can find diverse native plants. Thus, we must reuse natural topsoils of Mt. Gariwang for restoration of original vegetation.
Mt. GARIWANG;Ski slope restoration;Seed bank;Germination test;Topsoil;Vegetation restoration
- Archibold, O. W. 1989a. Seed banks and vegetation processes in coniferous forests, Applied Geography 2(3): 240.
- Archibold, O. W. 1989b. Structure and function of northern coniferous forests-an ecosystem study. Applied Geography 2(3): 240.
- Back WK. 1998. Flora and Vegetation of Resources Plants in the Mt. Gariwang(Kangwon-do). The plant resources society of Korea. 11(2).
- Bigwood, D. W. and D. W. Inouye (1988) Spatial pattern analysis of seed banks: An improved method and optimized sampling. Ecology 69: 497-507. https://doi.org/10.2307/1940448
- Bradshaw, A. D. 1984. Ecological principles and land reclamation practice. Landscape Planning 11: 35-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3924(84)90016-9
- Byeon JK. 2013. The Flora of Mt. Gariwangn Protected Area for Forest Genetic Resource, in Jeongseon-gun, Gangwon-do, Korea. The plant resources society of Korea. 26(5). P. 566-588 https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2013.26.5.566
- Cho DG. 2011. Eco restoration planing, design, Nexus-design, Seoul.
- Cho YH et al. 2013. A Study on the Actual Condition of Topsoil Management at River Restoration Projects, J. of Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 41(1): 34-43. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2013.41.1.034
- Dougall T. A. G. and J. C. Dodd. 1997. A study of species richness and diversity in seed-banks and its use for the environmental mitigation of a proposed holiday village development in a coniferized woodland in Southeast England Biodiversity Conservation. Biodiversity and Conservation 6(10): 1423-1428.
- Forest Service. 2012. Preservation and restoration methods of genetic resources conservation zone in Mt. Gariwangsan.
- Koh KS and Jeon YS. 2003. Ferns, fern-allies and seed-bearing plants of Korea, Iljinsa.
- Koh JH. 2007. A Study on the potential contribution of soil seed bank to the revegetation. The Korea Society for Environmental Restoration Technology 1(1): 72-84.
- Koh JH. 2007. The environment-friendly technology for ecological restoration on cut slope, Korean Jeosysthetics Society, 6(4): 11-18.
- The Korea Society for Environmental Restoration Technology(KOSERT). 2013. Environmental impact assessment of Jung-Bong Alpine skislope in Mt. Gariyansan.
- Koo BY. 2013. Soil seed bank diversity and relationship with ground vegetation in Gwangneung old-growth forest The Korea Institute of Forest Recreation Welfare. 2013, pp. 258-260.
- Kim NC. 1998. Articles: A Study on the ecological restoration strategies for the disturbed Landscapes. The Korea Society for Environmental Restoration Technology 1(1): 28-44.
- Kim NC ․ Nam UJ and Shin KJ. 2008. A Study on the slope ecological restoration and revegetation models of the Baekdu-Mountain Range. The Korea Society for Environmental Restoration Technology 11(1): 72-84.
- Kim YM. 2007. Buried seeds and the emergent species in a natural hardwood stand and plantations of Larix kaempferi and Pinus koraiensis in Mt. Jungwang, Pyeongchanggun, Gangwon Province, M.S. thesis, Seoul National University.
- Kim JS. 2005. A study on the ecological alternate technique for the pre-arrangment area of the forest damage in resort development: A case study of oak valley resort in Wolsong-li, Wonju city. M.S. thesis, University of Seoul.
- Lee CB. 2003. Coloured flora of Korea, Hyeangmunsa.
- Lee DG ․ Kil SH ․ Cho MH and Yang BE. 2011. study on the factors affecting vegetation cover after slope revegetation. J. of the Korea Society for Environmental Restoration Technology 14(5): 127-136.
- Leck M. A. ․ V. T. Parker and R. L. Simpson. 1989. Ecology of Soil Seed Banks, Academic Press, San Diego, p. 107-122.
- Lee JM. 2013. A study on topsoil management practices in development projects. M.S. Thesis, Konju National University.
- Lee HJ. 2007. A Study on stabilization and restoration of degraded forest area using soil bioengineering techniques
- Ministry of Environment. 1999. The nature resources of Pyeongchang and Jeongseon (1-20).
- Mitchell, R. J. ․ R. H. Marrs and M. H. D. AULD. 1998. A comparative study of the seed bank of heathland and successional habitats in Dorest, Southern England. Journal of Ecology 86: 588-596 https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2745.1998.00281.x
- Morrison, D. G. 1996. Design, restoration and management. Dept. of Landscape Architecture, University of Geogia, Athens.
- Nam SJ ․ Yeo HJ ․ Choi JY and Kim NC. 2004. Technical articles: Development of revegetation method using forest topsoils for ecological restoration of the slopes. J. of the Korea Society for Environmental Restoration and Revegetation Technology 7(4): 110-119.
- Nam SJ and Kim NC. 1998. Technical Notes: A Study on the Seeding of Zoysia japonica and Woody Plants for the Revegetation of Rockexposed- slopes by Natural Topsoil Restoration Methods: J. of the Korea Society for Environmental Restoration and Revegetation Technology 1(1): 141-150.
- Paik WK ․ Park WG and Lee WT. 1998. Flora and Vegetation of Resources Plants in the Mt. Kariwang(Kangwon-do), J. of the Plant Resources Society of Korea 11(2): 217-243.
- Roberts, H. A. 1981. Seed banks in soils. Advances in Applied Biology 6: 1-55.
- Son WJ. 2003. Study on the vegetation restoration of disturbed slopes with forest topsoil. M.S, Thesis. Dankook University.
- Yi MH. 2010. The relation between soil seed bank and actual vegetation. M.S. Thesis. Yeungnam University.
- Lee MH ․ Kim YS and Shin HT. 2009. Similarity index between seed bank and actual vegetation. J. of the Korean Society of Environment and Ecology, proceding 2: 260-263
- Genetic Difference Analysis and Environmental Assessment of Miscanthus sinensis and Phragmites australis to Apply Regional Seed for Restoration in Korea vol.36, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2018.36.4.463
Supported by : 단국대학교