- Volume 19 Issue 3
Purpose: This study aimed to investigate the prevalence of musculoskeletal symptoms (MSSs) and their correlation with subjective health condition (SHC) among emergency medical technicians (EMTs). Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was disseminated to EMTs (N=257) at emergency medical institutions and fire stations. Results: The prevalence of MSSs was very high in the studied EMTs: 88.3% reported having MSSs. The most commonly affected site was the lower back (73.9%) followed by the neck (56.8%) and the shoulder (55.6%). MSSs were more common in women than in men, and its frequency increased with age. MSSs in the neck and shoulder were more increased in EMTs with < 1 year of service. MSSs in the hand / wrist / finger or leg / foot were significantly increased in EMTs of emergency medical institutions than those of fire stations. Job satisfaction was significantly lower in those with MSSs of the lower back. The subjective heath condition was decreased with age, marriage, or smoking. There was significant corelation between MSSs and SHC. Conclusion: This study suggests that MSSs are a reasonably common problem for EMTs, and that solutions need to be imposed such as some actual tasks or items related to work postures, work control, and work organization.
Musculoskeletal symptoms;Subjective health condition;Emergency medical technician
- Baril-Gingras G, Lortie M. The handling of objects other than boxes: Univariate analysis of handling techniques in a large transport company. Ergonomics 1995; 38:905-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00140139508925159 https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139508925159
- Hayes MJ, Smith DR, Taylor JA. Musculoskeletal disorders and symptoms severity among australian dental hygienists. BMG Res Notes 2013;6:250-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-6-250 https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-6-250
- Hoozemans MJM, Van der Beek AJ, Frings- Dresen MHW, Van der Woude LHV, Van Dijk FJH. Pushing and pulling in association with low back and shoulder complaints. Occup Environ Med 2002;59(10):696-702. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oem.59.10.696 https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.59.10.696
- Burdorf A, Sorock G. Positive and negative evidence of risk factors for back disorders. Scand J Work Environ Health 1997;23(4): 243-56. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.217
- Smith DR, Mihashi M, Adachi Y, Koga H, Ishitake T. A detailed analysis of musculoskeletal disorder risk factor among japanese nurse. J Safety Res 2006;37(2):195-200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2006.01.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2006.01.004
- Shafizadeh KR. Prevalence of musculoskeletal disorders among paramedics working in a large hospital in ahwaz, southwestern iran in 2010. Int J Occup Environ Med 2011; 2(3):157-65.
- Burton AK, Erg E. Back injury and work loss: Biomechanical and psychosocial influence. Spine 1997;22(21):2575-80. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199711010-00021
- Jung KH, Kim YC, Kang DM, Kim JW. Study of relation between work-related musculo- skeletal disorders, psychiatric disorders and job stress in train drivers. J Ergo Soc Kr 2008;27(1):1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2008.27.1.001
- Leggat PA, Kedjarune U, Smith DR. Occupational health problems in modern dentistry. Ind health 2007;45:(5):611-21. http://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.45.611 https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.45.611
- Dehlin O, Hedenrud B, Horal J. Back symptoms in nursing aids in a geriatric hospital. Scand J Rehabil Med 1976;8: 47-53.
- Choi HJ, Park JM, Suh SR. Secondary traumatic stress and related factors of emergency medical technicians. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2009;13(2):5-15.
- Park DS. A study on job stress, fatigue and job satisfaction of 119 emergency medical technicians. Kor J Emerg Med Ser 2004; 8(1):71-85.
- Subramaniam S, Murugesan S. Investigation of work-related musculoskeletal disorders among male kitchen workers in South India. Int J Occup Saf Ergon 2015; 21(4):524-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2015.1096063 https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2015.1096063
- Pompeii LA, Lipscomb HJ, Schoenfisch AL, Denment JM. Musculoskeletal injuries resulting from patient handling tasks among hospital workers. Am J Ind Med 2009;52(7): 571-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20704 https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20704
- Lund T, Labriola M, Christensen KB, Bultmann U, Villadsen E. Physical work environment risk factors for long term sickness absence: Prospective findings among a cohort of 5357 employees in denmark. BMJ 2006;332(7539):449-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38731.622975.3A https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38731.622975.3A
- Ando S, Ono Y, Shimaoka M, Hiruta S, Hattori Y, Hori F et al. Association of self estimated workloads with musculoskeletal symptoms among hospital nurses. Occup Environ Med 2000;57(3):211-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/oem.57.3.211 https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.57.3.211
- Sterud T, Hem E, Ekeberg O, Lau B. Health problems and help-seeking in a nationwide sample of operational norwegian ambulance personnel. BMC Public Health 2008;8(3): 1471-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-3
- Cydulka RK, Lyons J, Moy A, Shay K, Hammer J, Mathews J. A follow-up report of occuptional stress in urban EMTparamedics. Ann Emerg Med 1989;18(11): 1151-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0196- 0644(89)80050-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-0644(89)80050-2
- Ohman U, Bylund PO, Bjornstig U. Impairing injuries among medical personnel. West J Nurs Res 2002;24(7):788-802. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/019394502762476988 https://doi.org/10.1177/019394502762476988
- Ylipaa V, Szuster F, Spencer J, Preber H, Benko SS, Arnetz BB. Health, mental well-being, and musculosketal disorders: A comparison between swedish and australia dental hygienist. J Den Hyg 2002;76(1): 47-58.
- Aasa U, Brulin C, Angquist KA, Barnekow-Bergkvist M. Work related psychosocial factors, worry about work conditions and health complaints among female and male ambulence personnel. Sand J Caring Sci 2005;19(3):251-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6712.2005.00333.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6712.2005.00333.x
- Boreham CA, Gamble RP, Wallace WF, Cran GW, Stevens AB. The health status of an ambulance service. Occup Med 1994;44(3): 137-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/occmed/44.3.137 https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/44.3.137
- Korea occupational safety and health agency. Korea occupational safety and health agency Guide. H-9, pp. 2-18, 2012.
- Speake DL Cowart ME, Pellet K. Health perceptions and lifestyles of the elderly. Res in Nur and Health 1989;12(2):93-100. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770120206 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770120206
- Shin SY, Jung JY. Musculoskeletal diseases' of the 119 rescue party's. J Kor Acad-Indu Cooper Soc 2013;14(2):6461-8.