- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Hourly Variations in Public Transit Demand according to the Addition of Sales Facilities to Railway Stations: Focusing on Metro and Bus Transit Demand
철도역사 판매시설 증축에 따른 시간대별 대중교통 수요 변화 추정: 지하철 및 버스 수요를 중심으로
- Received : 2015.11.05
- Accepted : 2015.12.04
- Published : 2015.12.31
The total number of passengers on the KTX since its construction in 2004 surpassed 500 million in October, 2015. The operation of KTX made it possible to reach anywhere in a country in half a day, which subsequently altered people's lifestyle. As the KTX has become an important mode of transportation, there is a growing interest in the optimal size and location of its stations. Currently, the stations are constructed through public-private partnerships since a sufficient amount of budget is hard to secure only from the public sector; however, because railway stations are traditionally aimed at promoting public interests, an emphasis on the profitability of the private sector could compromise public interests. At this juncture, this study separately computes the number of users based on each of the two primary functions of the stations-as a railway station and as a sales facility-and estimates the numbers of people according to various transportation modes that are taken to access the stations. This estimation is applied to the case of Dongdaegu Station, which will open in 2016. Such an application helps to predict and respond to possible congestion as brought about by the expansion of the sales facility.
Complex transfer center;Railroad and sales facility;Access transportation;Transportation
- M.J. Park (2014) A study on transfer system improvement of railway stations, Master thesis, Seoul National University of Science and Technology.
- H.S. Kim, J. Lee, J.G. Eom, J.W. Lim (2012) Effectiveness analysis due to the public transportation's accessibility improvement coming close to Osong station, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 15(5), pp. 903-912
- J.H. Hwang (2014) Analyzing factors affecting public transit transfer volume: Focused on Daegu city, Journal of Korea Transportation Research Society, 32(3), pp. 179-186. https://doi.org/10.7470/jkst.2014.32.3.179
- J.H. Kim (2013) A study on the development of the commercial around Dongdaegu station for KTX, Master thesis, Yeungnam University.
- J.A. Kim, Y.S. Park (2015) A study on the problems extraction of Dong-Daegu intermodal transfer center development plan, Architectural Institute of Korea, 31(7), pp. 21-30.
- H.J. Shin, B.K. Kim (2013) Connectivity analysis of KTX stations according to KTX connection characteristic variable and KTX modal split, Journal of The Korean Society for Railway, 16(6), pp. 503-509. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.6.503
- Y.S. Park (2013) Calculation methods of parking demand for sales facilities and business facilities, Master thesis, University of Seoul.
- Y.I. Hong, Y.I. Lee (2011) Estimation of facility usage behavior in transfer center, Journal of Korea Transportation Research Society, 32(3), pp. 179-186.
- J.H. Oh (2013) The development research of KTX economic bloc characterization in 2103, The Korea Transport Institute.
- J.H. Koh, J.M. Jang (2011) The study on estimate method for standard traffic and traffic induction coefficient, The Seoul Institute.
- Shinsegae Co. (2013) East Daegu Station Transit Center complex wide area development plan, Shinsegae Co.
Grant : 지속가능한 철도계획 운영 시스템 통합기반기술 구축