- Volume 13 Issue 3
The interaction between a normal shock wave and a boundary layer along a wall surface in internal compressible flows causes a very complicated flow. This interaction region containing shock train and mixing region is called as pseudo-shock waves. Pseudo-shock waves in the divergent part of a rectangular nozzle have been investigated by using large-eddy simulation (LES). LES studies have been done for the complex flow phenomena of three-dimensional pseudo-shock waves. The LES results have been validated against experimental wall-pressure measurements. The LES results are in good agreement with experimental results. Pseudo-shock length and corner separation have been studied in three-dimensional LES model. Comparison of centerline pressure measurement and 3D visualization measurement has been discussed for the corner separation position. It has been concluded that the pseudo-shock length should be measured by using 3D visualization measurement.
Pseudo-Shock Waves;Rectangular Nozzle;LES Simulation;Corner Flow;3D Visualization
- Matsuo, K., Miyazato, Y. and Kim, H. D., 1999, "Shock Train and Pseudo-Shock Phenomena in Internal Gas Flows," Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol.35(1), pp.33-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-0421(98)00011-6
- Hoeger, L. C. T. C., King, P. I., Decker, L. C. D. D., Donbar, J. M. and Cox-Stouffer, S., 2010, "CFD Modeling of an Isolator Shock Train in a Scramjet Engine," In 46th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, 2010-6556.
- Lin, K. C., Tam, C. J., Jackson, K. R., Eklund, D. R. and Jackson, T. A., 2006, "Characterization of Shock Train Structures inside Constant-Area Isolators of Model Scramjet Combustors," AIAA Paper, 2006-816.
- Jonathan S. Geerts and Kenneth H. Yu, 2015, "Shock Train Length Measurements and Improved Correlations for Rectangular Ducts," 22nd ISABE Conference, 2015-20231.
- Quaatz, J. F., Giglmaier, M., Hickel, S. and Adams, N. A., 2014, "Large-Eddy Simulation of a Pseudo-Shock System in a Laval Nozzle," International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, Vol.49, pp.108-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2014.05.006
- Gawehn, T., Gülhan, A., Al-Hasan, N. S., Giglmaier, M. and Adams, N.A., 2010, "Analysis of Pseudo-Shock System Structure and Asymmetry in Laval Nozzles with Parallel Side Walls," 19th Interantional Shock Interaction Symposium, August 31 - September 03, Moscow.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Seoul National University