- Volume 25 Issue 6
The specification for selecting railway ballast in France is introduced in this study and the effectiveness of selection for railway ballast is studied for the case of a quarry located in northen France. The quality of railway ballast is, in general, estimated depending on the grain distribution and mainly of the resistance against abrasion. The resistance against abrasion is obtained by both Los Angeles abrasion test and Micro Deval test, which determine the ballast quality suitable whether for high speed railway or classical railway. This study analyzed the correlation between the abrasion index obtained from the abrasion tests for the aggregates sampled at three different stages among ballast production procedure at the quarry. A high correlation is determined between Los Angeles Abrasion index (LA) and Micro Deval index (MDA) and also between abrasion indices of different aggregates. Particularly, this correlation between the abrasion indices allows to estimate the quality of ballast at the final stage from the aggregates at the site in a quarry within the margin of error.
Railway ballast;Los Angeles abrasion test;Micro Deval test;France;Quarry
- American Society for Testing and Materials, 2006, Standard test method for resistance to degradation of small-size coarse aggregate by abrasion and impact in the Los Angeles machine, ASTM Designation C131-06.
- American Standard for Testing and Materials, 2006, Standard test method for resistance of fine aggregate to degradation by abrasion in the Micro-Deval apparatus, ASTM D7428-15.
- American Society for Testing and Materials, 2009, Standard test method for resistance to degradation of large-size coarse aggregate by abrasion and impact in the Los Angeles machine, ASTM Designation C535-09.
- Erichsen, E., Ulvik, A., Saevik, K., 2011, Mechanical degradation of aggregate by the Los Angeles-, the Micro-Deval and the Nordic test methods, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, Vol. 44, Issue 3, pp. 333-337. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-011-0140-y
- European Standard, 2003, Tests for mechanical and physical properties of aggregates. Part 1 : determination of the resistance to wear(micro-Deval), EN 1097-1.
- European Standard, 2006, Tests for mechanical and physical properties of aggregates. Part 2: methods for the determination of resistance to fragmentation, EN-1097-2.
- Korean Standard, 2007, Abrasion test method for coarse aggregate by the Los Angeles Tester, KS F 2508.
- Norme Francaise, 1996, Railway fix equipment : Ballast and gravel for shovel-packing : Characteristics and specifications, NF F53-695.
- Ouahabi, A. and Woo, I., 1998, Evaluation geologique et geotechnique des massifs rocheux pour la production de granulats routieres et ferroviaires, Memoire de Ceseco, Ecoles des Mines de Paris, 35 p.
- Paiva, C., Ferreira, M., Ferreira, A., 2015, Ballast drainage in Brazilian railway infrastructure, Construction and Building Materials, No. 92, pp. 58-63.
- Rogers, C., 1998, Canadian experience with the micro-Deval test for aggregates, In: Latham JP (ed) Advances in aggregates and armourstone evaluation, Geological Society, London, Engineering Geology Special Publications, Vol. 13, pp. 139-147.
- SNCF, 1994, Direction of equipment ; VIG3 : Characterization of ballast (Mechanical tests), Study on abrasion test adapted for Micro Deval test, Proposition for the new classification of ballast.
- SNCF 1995, Direction of equipment and management : Technical specification for aggregate supply used for the railway construction and management, ST N 590B.