- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Outlook of Agricultural Drought in Jeonju Area under the RCP8.5 Projected Climate Condition
기후변화 시나리오에 근거한 전주지역의 농업가뭄 전망
- Received : 2015.10.15
- Accepted : 2015.10.30
- Published : 2015.12.30
In order to figure out the future drought characteristics of the Jeonju plains, the major crop production area in Korea, daily agricultural drought indexes based on soil water balance were calculated for the relevant 12.5 km by 12.5 km grid cell using the weather data generated by the RCP8.5 climate scenario during 1951-2100. The calculations were grouped into five climatological normal years, the past (1951-1980), the present (1981-2010), and the three futures (2011-2040, 2041-2070, and 2071-2100). Results showed that the soil moisture conditions in early spring, worst for both the past and present normal years, will ameliorate gradually in the future and the crop water stress in spring season was projected to become negligible by the end of this century. Furthermore, the drought frequency in early spring was projected to diminish, resulting in rare occurrence of spring drought by that time. However, the result also showed that the soil moisture conditions during the summer season (when most crops grow in Jeonju plain) will deteriorate and the drought incidence will be more frequent than in the past or present period.
Drought index;Agriculture;RCP8.5 scenario;Residual soil moisture
- Allen, R. G., L. S. Peretira, D. Raes, and M. Smith, 1998: Crop Evapotranspiration: Guidelines for Computing Crop Water Requirements. FAO irrigation and drainage paper 56, UN-FAO, Rome, Italy.
- Byun, H. R., and D. A. Wilhite, 1999: Objective quantification of drought severity and duration. Journal of Climate 12, 2747-2756. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(1999)012<2747:OQODSA>2.0.CO;2
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), 2013: Climate change 2013: the physical science basis. Working group I contribution to the fifth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- Kim, D. J., S.-O. Kim, J.-H. Kim, K-M. Shim, and J. I. Yun, 2015: A drought index designed for field-scale water management. Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 51(3), 197-203. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13143-015-0070-9
- Lee, J. H., J. W. Seo, and C. J. Kim, 2012: Analysis on trends, periodicities and frequencies of Korean drought using drought indices. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 45(1), 75-89. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2012.45.1.75
- Park, B.-S., J.-H. Lee, C-J. Kim, and H.-W. Jang, 2013: Projection of future drought of Korea based on probabilistic approach using multi-model and multi climate change scenarios. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 33(5), 1871-1885. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.5.1871
- Sohn, K. W., D. H. Bae, and J. H. Ahn, 2014: Projection and analysis of drought according to future climate and hydrological information in Korea. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 47(1), 71-82. (in Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2014.47.1.71
- Yoo, S. H., J. Y. Choi, and M. W. Jang 2006: Estimation of paddy rice crop coefficients for Penman-Monteith and FAO modified Penman Method. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 48, 13-23. (in Korean with English abstract)
- KMA (Korea Meteorological Administration), 2015: 최근 가뭄현황과 전망. Press Release (2015.6.3). (in Korean)
- Lee, S. H., 2015: "한반도 최악의 가뭄은 아직 오지 않았다" (2015.06.23). Pub.chosun.com (http://pub.chosun.com/client/news/viw.asp?cate=C02&mcate=M1001&nNewsNumb=20150617680&nidx=17681)
- MAFRA (Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs), 2015: 농산물 수급상황 점검. Press Release (2015.7.22). (in Korean)
- NIMR (National Institute of Meteorological Research), 2011: IPCC 5차 평가보고서 대응을 위한 기후변화 시나리오 보고서 2011, p79-81. (in Korean)
- NIMR (National Institute of Meteorological Research), 2012: IPCC 5차 평가보고서 대응을 위한 기후변화 시나리오 보고서 2012, p60-72. (in Korean)
- 국토교통부 국가수자원관리종합정보시스템 (www.wamis.go.kr) (2015.10.1)
Supported by : 농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원