- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Weather Conditions on Fruit Characteristics and Yield of 'Sangjudungsi' Persimmon Cultivar in Sangju, Gyeongsangbuk-do
경상북도 지방의 기상환경 변화에 따른 상주둥시 감나무의 과실특성 및 수확량
- Received : 2015.09.11
- Accepted : 2015.12.03
- Published : 2015.12.30
This study was conducted to analyze the relationship between climate factors and fruit characteristics of 'Sangjudungsi' persimmon (Diospyros kaki THUNB) has been mainly cultivated in Sangju of Korea. We has been surveyed the yield and fruit characteristics such as fruit weight and soluble solids of 'Sangjudungsi' persimmon from 2010 to 2015 for five years. Also, as major meteorological factor, mean air temperature, cumulative temperature and days, the data of sunshine duration, diurnal range, and rainfall were collected from Sangju Regional Meteorological Administration. As result of that, the annual variation of fruit weight was affected by sunshine duration for April and October related starting point of fruit weight increase. The content of soluble solids was affected by sunshine duration for April and October similarly with fruit weight and was negatively correlated with the number of days with precipitation in the year. These results indicate the characteristics related to fruit quality like the above were affected by the sunshine duration and precipitation which is critical factor for the intensity of radiation during rapid growth period (April and October). Fruit number and yield per tree was commonly affected by mean air temperature of April and cumulative temperature days of October. These results also indicate that temperature for period of rapid growth stage of persimmon may have an important role in the fruit number and yield per tree.
Climate factor;Diospyros kaki THUNB;Fruit weight;Soluble solids;Yield
- Tromp, J., 1997: Maturity of apple cv. Elstar as affected by temperature during a six-week period following bloom. Journal of Horticultural Science 72, 811-819. https://doi.org/10.1080/14620316.1997.11515575
- Xu, X.M., R. A. Murray, J.D. Salazar and K. Hyder, 2008: The temporal pattern of captan residues on apple leaves and fruit under field conditions in relation to weather and canopy structure. Pest Management Science 64, 565-578. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.1527
- Yakushiji, H. and A. Nakatsuka, 2007: Recent persimmon research in Japan. Journal of Plant Sciences 1(2), 42-62.
- Yokoyama, O., 2005: Technique action of climatic warming and fruit tree. Fruit Japan, The federation of Japan hortagricultural cooperation.Tokyo. Japan, 1, 52-54.
- Mowat, A. D. and A. P. George, 1994: Persimmon, p. 209-232. In: B. Schaffer and P.C. Andersen (eds.). Handbook of environmental physiology of fruit crops. Vol. I. Temperate crops. CRC Press, Boca Raton, F.L.
- Mowat, A. D., A. P. George, and R.J. Collins, 1997: Macroclimatic effects on fruit development and maturity of nonastringent persimmon (Diospyros kaki L. cv. Fuyu). Acta Horticulturae 436, 195-202.
- Nakano, R., K. Yonemori, A. Sugiura, and I. Kataoka, 1997: Effect of gibberellic acid and abscisic acid on fruit respiration in relation to final swell and maturation in persimmon. Acta Horticulturae 436, 203-214.
- Cronquist, A., 1981: An integrated system of classification of flowering plants. Columbia Univ. Press, New York.
- Nii, N., 1980: Seasonal changes of fruit growth in Japanese persimmon, Diospyros kaki cv. Fuyu, in relation to vascular tissue development in the fruit stalk. Journal of Japanese Society for Horticultural Science 49, 160-170. https://doi.org/10.2503/jjshs.49.160
- Sugiura, A., G. H. Zheng, and K. Yonemori, 1991: Growth and ripening of persimmon fruit at controlled temperatures during growth stage III. Hortscienc 26(5), 574-576.
- Choi, Y. E., and W. T. Kwon, 2005: Climate change studies in geography: Reviews and prospects. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society 41, 249-262.
- Bergh, O., 1990: Effect of temperature during the first 42days following full bloom on apple fruit growth and size at harvest. South African Journal of Plant and Soil 7, 11-18. https://doi.org/10.1080/02571862.1990.10634530
- Beruter, J., 1985: Sugar accumulation and change in the activities related enzymes during development of apple fruit. Journal of Plant Physiology 121, 331-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0176-1617(85)80026-2
- Yun, J. I., 2002: Urbanization effect on the observed warming in Korea during the recent half century. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 4, 58-63.
- Guo, L., J. Dai, S. Ranjitkar, J. Xu and E. Luedeling, 2013: Response of chestnut phenology in China to climate variation and change. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 180, 164-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2013.06.004
- Jeon, K. S., H. C. Kim, J. H. Han, and T. C. Kim, 2010: Selection of main air temperature factors on annual variation of growth and fruit characteristics of persimmon. Journal of Biological Conservation 19(3), 165-170.
- Kang, S. K., H. Motosugi, K. Yonemori, and A. Sugiura, 1998: Freezing injury to persimmons (Diospyros kaki THUNB) and four other Diospyros species during deacclimation in the spring as related to bud development. Scientia Horticultirae 77, 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4238(98)00166-6
- Kikuchi, A., 1948: Horticulture of fruit trees (in Japanese). Vol. I. Yokendo, Tokyo.
- Korea Rural Economic Institute (KREI). 2015: The observation of forestry. http://www.krei.re.kr.
- Lang, A. and M. R. Thorpe, 1986: Water potential, translocation and assimilate partitioning. Journal of Experimental Botany 37, 495-503. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/37.4.495
- Lee, S. H., Y. S. Kwon, I. J. Kim, T. J. Kim, H. H. Kim, and D. I. Kim, 2012: Correlation analysis between meteorological condition and 'Fuji' apple fruit characteristics in Chungbuk, Korea. Korean Journal of International Agriculture 24(1), 51-59.
- Luedeling, E., J. Gebauer, and A. Buerkert, 2009: Climate change effects on winter chill for tree crops with chilling requremenrs on the Arabian Peninsula. Climate Change 96, 219-237. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-009-9581-7
- Moriondo, M., R. Ferrise, G. Trombi, L. Brilli, C. Dibari, and M. Bindi, 2015: Modelling olive trees and grapevines in changing climate. Environmental Modeling & Software 1-15.
- Choi, S. T., H. K. Kim, S. C. Kim, T. M. Choi, S. M. Kang, and Y. M. Park, 2006a: Responses of 'Fuyu' tree to renovating modified-leader to open-center and Y form. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology 24(3), 376-381.
- Choi, S. T., S. M. Kang, and T. C. Kim, 2006a: Fruit characteristics and storability of 'Fuyu' Persimmon as affected by location of the orchards and position within the Tree Canopy. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science&Technology 24(3), 359-363.
- Choi, S. T., D. S. Park, J. Y. Son, Y. O. Park, K. P. Hong and K. S. Cho, 2013a: Climate-related changes in fruit growth of 'Fuyu' persimmon during the harvest season. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology 31(1), 32-37. https://doi.org/10.7235/hort.2013.12067
- Choi, S. T., D. S. Park, G. H. Ahn, S. C. Kim, T. M. Choi, and C. W. Rho, 2013b: Responses of tree growth and fruit production of persimmon after lowering height by heavy pruning to fertilization rates. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 46(2), 136-141. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2013.46.2.136