- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
High-Resolution Numerical Simulations with WRF/Noah-MP in Cheongmicheon Farmland in Korea During the 2014 Special Observation Period
2014년 특별관측 기간 동안 청미천 농경지에서의 WRF/Noah-MP 고해상도 수치모의
- Received : 2015.09.01
- Accepted : 2015.12.20
- Published : 2015.12.30
In this paper, the high-resolution Weather Research and Forecasting/Noah-MultiParameterization (WRF/Noah-MP) modeling system is configured for the Cheongmicheon Farmland site in Korea (CFK), and its performance in land and atmospheric simulation is evaluated using the observed data at CFK during the 2014 special observation period (21 August-10 September). In order to explore the usefulness of turning on Noah-MP dynamic vegetation in midterm simulations of surface and atmospheric variables, two numerical experiments are conducted without dynamic vegetation and with dynamic vegetation (referred to as CTL and DVG experiments, respectively). The main results are as following. 1) CTL showed a tendency of overestimating daytime net shortwave radiation, thereby surface heat fluxes and Bowen ratio. The CTL experiment showed reasonable magnitudes and timing of air temperature at 2 m and 10 m; especially the small error in simulating minimum air temperature showed high potential for predicting frost and leaf wetness duration. The CTL experiment overestimated 10-m wind and precipitation, but the beginning and ending time of precipitation were well captured. 2) When the dynamic vegetation was turned on, the WRF/Noah-MP system showed more realistic values of leaf area index (LAI), net shortwave radiation, surface heat fluxes, Bowen ratio, air temperature, wind and precipitation. The DVG experiment, where LAI is a prognostic variable, produced larger LAI than CTL, and the larger LAI showed better agreement with the observed. The simulated Bowen ratio got closer to the observed ratio, indicating reasonable surface energy partition. The DVG experiment showed patterns similar to CTL, with differences for maximum air temperature. Both experiments showed faster rising of 10-m air temperature during the morning growth hours, presumably due to the rapid growth of daytime mixed layers in the Yonsei University (YSU) boundary layer scheme. The DVG experiment decreased errors in simulating 10-m wind and precipitation. 3) As horizontal resolution increases, the models did not show practical improvement in simulation performance for surface fluxes, air temperature, wind and precipitation, and required three-dimensional observation for more agricultural land spots as well as consistency in model topography and land cover data.
High-resolution;Atmospheric simulation;Farmland;Land surface model;WRF;Noah-MP
- Oh, G. L., S.-J. Lee, B. C. Choi, J. Kim, K. Kim, S. W. Choi, and B.-L. Lee, 2015: Quality control of agrometeorological data measured at Suwon weather station of Korea Meteorological Administration. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 17(1), 25-34. https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2015.17.1.25
- Park, S. K., and J. H. Kim, 2011: A study on changes in local meteorological fields due to a change in land use in the lake Shihwa region using synthetic land cover data and high-resolution mesoscale model. Atmosphere 21(4) 405-414. (In Korean with English abstract)
- Seong, J. H., S. O. Han, J. H. Jeong, and K. H. Kim, 2013: Study on sensitivities and fire area errors in WRF-Fire simulation to different resolution data set of fuel and terrain, and surface wind. Atmosphere 23, 485-500. (in Korean with English Abstract) https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2013.23.4.485
- Shin, H. H., and S.-Y. Hong, 2015: Representation of the subgrid-scale turbulent transport in convective boundary layers at gray-zone resolutions. Monthly Weather Review 143, 250-271. https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-14-00116.1
- Song, J., S.-J. Lee, and J. Kim, 2015: Effects of highresolution topography/land-cover data and the Noah-MP land surface model on WRF atmospheric simulation in the valley of Gwangneung KoFlux sites. Proceedings of the Spring Meeting of KMS, 109-110.
- 통계청, 2014: 농업면적통계. 발간등록번호 11-1240000-000540-10, 110pp.
- 국립기상연구소, 2013: 농업기상 예측시스템 구축 기술, 발 간등록번호 11-1360395-000387-01, 30pp.
- Kim, K. S., M.-S. Kang, H.-N. Jeong, and J. Kim, 2013: Comparison of crop growth and evapotranspiration simulations between Noah Multi Physics model and CERES-Rice model. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 15(4), 282-290. https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2013.15.4.282
- Lee, S.-J., and H. Kawai, 2011: Mixing depth estimation from operational JMA and KMA wind-profiler data and its preliminary applications: examples from four selected sites. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 89, 15-28. https://doi.org/10.2151/jmsj.2011-102
- Lee, S.-J., and E. H. Berbery, 2012: Land cover change effects on the climate of the La Plata Basin. Journal of Hydrometeorology 13, 84-102. https://doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-11-021.1
- Lee, S.-J., and E. H. Berbery, and D. Alcaraz-Segura, 2013a: Effect of implementing ecosystem functional type data in a mesoscale climate model. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 30(5), 1373-1386. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00376-012-2143-3
- Lee, S.-J., E. H. Berbery, and D. Alcaraz-Segura, 2013b: The impact of ecosystem functional type changes on the La Plata Basin climate. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 30(5), 1387-1405. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00376-012-2149-x
- Lee, S.-J., J. Lee, S. J. Greybush, M. Kang, and J. Kim, 2013c: Spatial and temporal variation in PBL height over the Korean Peninsula in the KMA operational regional model. Advances in Meteorology, Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 381630, 16pp.
- Lee, S.-J., J. Kim, M. S. Kang, and B. Malla-Thakuri, 2014: Numerical simulation of local atmospheric circulations in the valley of Gwangneung KoFlux sites. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 16, 244-258. (In Korean with English abstract)
- Lee, S., Y. Choi, J. Jung, M. Won, and G.-H. Lim, 2015: Development of optimal modeling system for analyzing mountain meteorology. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 17, 165-172. (In Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2015.17.2.165
- Mlawer, E. J., S. J. Taubman, P. D. Brown, M. J. Iacono, and S. A. Clough, 1997: Radiative transfer for inhomogeneous atmospheres: RRTM, a validated correlated-k model for the longwave. Journal of Geophysical Research 102, 16663-16682. https://doi.org/10.1029/97JD00237
- Monin, A. S. and A. M. Obukhov, 1954: Osnovnye zakonomernosti turbulentnogo peremeshivanija v prizemnom sloe atmosfery. Trudy Geofizicheskogo Instituta, Akademiya Nauk SSSR 24, 163-187.
Moon, M. K., M. S. Kang, B. Malla-Thakuri, and J.-H. Lee, 2015: Errors in net ecosystem exchanges of
$CO_2$, water vapor, and heat caused by storage fluxes calculated by single-level scalar measurements over a rice paddy. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 17(3), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2015.17.1.1
- Niu, G.-Y., Z.-L. Yang, K. E. Mitchell, F. Chen, M. B. Ek, M. Barlage, A. Kumar, K. Manning, D. Niyogi, E. Rosero, M. Tewari, and Y. Xia, 2011: The community Noah land surface model with multi-parameterization options (Noah-MP): 1. Model description and evaluation with local-scale measurements. Journal of Geophysical Research, 116(D12).
- Niu, G.-Y., Z.-L. Yang, R. E. Dickinson, L. E. Gulden, and H. Su, 2007: Development of a simple groundwater model for use in climate models and evaluation with Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment data. Journal of Geophysical Research, 112(D12109).
- Choi, S. W., S.-J. Lee, J. Kim, B.-L. Lee, K. Kim, and B. C. Choi, 2015: Agrometeorological observation environment and periodic report of Korea Meteorological Administration: current status and suggestions. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 17(2), 144-155. https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2015.17.2.144
- Choi, Y. J., and Coauthors, 2012: The WISE Project. Proceedings of the Spring Meeting of KMS, 20-21.
- Dickinson, R. E., M. Shaikh, R. Bryant, and L. Graumlich, 1998: Interactive canopies for a climate model. Journal of Climate 11, 2823-2836. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(1998)011<2823:ICFACM>2.0.CO;2
- Dudhia, J., 1989: Numerical study of convection observed during the winter monsoon experiment using a mesoscale two-dimensional model. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 46, 3077-3107. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(1989)046<3077:NSOCOD>2.0.CO;2
- Hong, S.-Y., and J.-O. Lim, 2006: The WRF single-moment 6-class microphysics scheme (WSM6). Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society 42, 129-151.
- Hong, S.-Y., Y. Noh, and J. Dudhia, 2006: A new vertical diffusion package with an explicit treatment of entrainment processes. Monthly Weather Review 134, 2318-2341. https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR3199.1
- Hong, M.-K., J.-Y., Choi, S.-J. Lee, S.-H. Lee, and S. Lee, 2015a: Estimation of soil moisture and irrigation water requirement using WRF meteorological data. The 2015 Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers (KSAE) Annual Conference.
- Hong, M.-K., S.-H. Lee, J.-Y. Choi, S.-H. Lee, and S.-J. Lee, 2015b: Estimation of soil moisture and irrigation requirement of upland using soil moisture model applied WRF meteorological data. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 57(6), 173-183. (in Korean with English Abstract) https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.6.173
- Janji, Z. I., 1996: The surface layer in the NCEP eta model. The 11th Conference on Numerical Weather Prediction, Norfolk, VA, USA, August 1996.
- Janji, Z. I., 2002: Nonsingular implementation of the Mellor Yamada level 2.5 scheme in the NCEP Meso model. NCEP Office Note 437.
- Jimenez, P. A., and J. Dudhia, 2012: Improving the representation of resolved and unresolved topographic effects on surface wind in the WRF model. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 51, 300-316. https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-11-084.1
- Kain, J. S., and J. Kain, 2004: The Kain-Fritsch convective parameterization: an update. Journal of Applied Meteorology 43, 170-181. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0450(2004)043<0170:TKCPAU>2.0.CO;2
- Kang, J.-H., M.-S. Suh, and C.-H. Kwak, 2010: Land cover classification over East Asian region using recent MODIS NDVI data (2006-2008). Atmosphere 20(4), 415-426.
- Kim, J.-C., C. B. Lee, K. K. Shin, and S. I. Kwan, 2014: Analysis of temperature in complex mountainous region using HRLDAS. Proceedings of the 15th Conference on Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 89-92.
- The NCAM Land-Atmosphere Modeling Package (LAMP) Version 1: Implementation and Evaluation vol.18, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2016.18.4.307
- A Statistical Parameter Correction Technique for WRF Medium-Range Prediction of Near-Surface Temperature and Wind Speed Using Generalized Linear Model vol.9, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/atmos9080291
Supported by : 기상청