- Volume 28 Issue 6
This paper discusses nested design models when nesting occurs in treatment structure and design structure. Some are fixed and others are random; subsequently, the fixed factors having a nested design structure are assumed to be nested in the random factors. The treatment structure can involve random and fixed effects as well as a design structure that can involve several sizes of experimental units. This shows how to use projections for sums of squares by fitting the model in a stepwise procedure. Expectations of sums of squares are obtained via synthesis. Variance components of the nested design model are estimated by the method of moments.
variance components;nested structure;projection;type I sums of squares;synthesis
- Choi, J. S. (2011). Type I analysis by projections, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 24, 373-381. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2011.24.2.373
- Choi, J. S. (2012). Type II analysis by projections, Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 23, 1155-1163. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.6.1155
- Choi, J. S. (2014). Projection analysis for two-way variance components, Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 23, 547-554.
- Graybill, F. A. (1976). Theory and Application of the Linear Model, Wadsworth, Inc. California.
- Hartley, H. O. (1967). Expectations, variances and covariances of ANOVA means squares by "synthesis", Biometrics, 23, 105-114. https://doi.org/10.2307/2528284
- Henderson, C. R. (1953). Estimation of variance and covariance components, Biometrics, 9, 226-252. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001853
- Hicks, C. R. (1973). Fundamental Concepts in the Design of Experiments, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc., New York.
- John, P. W. M. (1971). Statistical Design and Analysis of Experiments, The Macmillan Company, New York.
- Milliken, G. A. and Johnson, D. E. (1984). Analysis of Messy Data, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York.
- Montgomery, D. C. (1976). Design and Analysis of Experiments, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York.
- Searle, S. R., Casella, G. and McCulloch, C. E. (1971). Linear Models, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York.
- Searle, S. R., Casella, G. and McCulloch, C. E. (1992). Variance Components, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York.