- Volume 9 Issue 5
Laboratory model tests were conducted to investigate the effect of surcharge loading rate on the magnitude of lateral displacement of prefabricated vertical drains (PVDs) improved deposit. The test results indicate that under the condition that the system had sufficient factor of safety (FS) (
lateral displacement;prefabricated vertical drain;model test;embankment;soft deposit
- Asha, B. and Mandal, J. (2012), "Absorption and discharge capacity tests on natural prefabricated vertical drains", Geosynth. Int., 19(4), 263-271. https://doi.org/10.1680/gein.12.00013
- Boussinesq, J. (1885), Application des Potentials a L'Etude de L'Equilibre et du Mouvement des Solides Elastiques, Gauthier-Villars, Paris, France. [In French]
- Cascone, E. and Biondi, G. (2013), "A case study on soil settlements induced by preloading and vertical drains", Geotext. Geomembr., 38, 51-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2013.05.002
- Chai, J.-C. and Miura, N. (2002), "Long-term transmissivity of geotextile confined in clay", Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Geosynthetics, Nice, France, Volume 1, September, pp. 155-158.
- Chai, J.-C., Ong, C.Y., Bergado, D.T. and Carter, J.P. (2013), "Lateral displacement under combined vacuum pressure and embankment loading", Geotechnique, 63(10), 842-856. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.12.P.060
- Cowland, J. and Wong, S. (1993), "Performance of a road embankment on soft clay supported on a geocell mattress foundation", Geotext. Geomembr., 12(8), 687-705. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-1144(93)90046-Q
- Hansbo, S. (1981), "Consolidation of fine-grained soils by prefabricated drains", Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Stockholm, Sweden, June, Volume 3, pp. 677-682.
- Howell, R., Rathje, E. and Boulanger, R. (2014), "Evaluation of simulation models of lateral spread sites treated with prefabricated vertical drains", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 141(1), 04014076.
- Hu, Y., Zhou, W.-H. and Cai, Y. (2014), "Large-strain elastic visco-plastic consolidation analysis of very soft clay layers with vertical drains under preloading", Can. Geotech. J., 51(2), 144-157. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2013-0200
- Karim, M.R. and Lo, S.-C. (2015), "Estimation of the hydraulic conductivity of soils improved with vertical drains", Comput. Geotech., 63, 299-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2014.10.010
- Kelln, C., Sharma, J., Hughes, D. and Gallagher, G. (2007), "Deformation of a soft estuarine deposit under a geotextile reinforced embankment", Can. Geotech. J., 44(5), 603-617. https://doi.org/10.1139/t07-007
- Kim, H.J., Lee, K.H., Jamin, J.C. and Mission, J.L.C. (2014), "Stochastic cost optimization of ground improvement with prefabricated vertical drains and surcharge preloading", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 7(5), 525-537. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.7.5.525
- Ladd, C.C. (1991), "Stability evaluation during staged construction", J. Geotech. Eng. ASCE, 117(4), 540-615. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1991)117:4(540)
- Loganathan, N., Balasubramaniam, A.S. and Bergado, D.T. (1993), "Deformation analysis of embankments". J. Geotech. Eng. ASCE, 119(8), 1185-1206. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1993)119:8(1185)
- Ong, C.Y. and Chai, J.-C. (2011), "Lateral displacement of soft ground under vacuum pressure and surcharge load", Front. Arch. Civil Eng. China, 5(2), 239-248. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-011-0110-1
- Ong, C.Y. (2011), "Prediction of lateral displacement of ground induced by surcharge load and vacuum pressure", Ph.D. Dissertation; Saga University, Saga, Japan.
- Osterberg, J.O. (1957), "Influence values for vertical stresses in a semi-infinite mass due to an embankment loading", Proceedings of the 4th Intornational Conference Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, London, UK, August ,Volume 1, pp. 393-394.
- Parsa-Pajouh, A., Fatahi, B., Vincent, P. and Khabbaz, H. (2014), "Analyzing consolidation data to predict smear zone characteristics induced by vertical drain installation for soft soil improvement", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 7(1), 105-131. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.7.1.105
- Rujikiatkamjorn, C., Ardana, M., Indraratna, B. and Leroueil, S. (2013), "Conceptual model describing smear zone caused by mandrel action", Geotechnique, 63(16), 1377-1388. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.12.P.138
- Smadi, M.M. (2001), "Lateral deformation and associated settlement resulting from embankment loading of soft clay and silt deposits", Ph.D. Dissertation; University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA.
- Tan, S.A. (1995), "Validation of hyperbolic method for settlement in clays with vertical drains", Soils Found., 35(1), 101-113. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.35.101
- Tan, S.-A. and Chew, S.-H. (1996), "Comparison of the hyperbolic and Asaoka observational method of monitoring consolidation with vertical drains", Soils Found., 36(3), 31-42. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf.36.3_31
- Tavenas, F. and Leroueil, S. (1980), "The behaviour of embankments on clay foundations", Can. Geotech. J., 17(2), 236-260. https://doi.org/10.1139/t80-025
- Xu, F. and Chai, J-C. (2014), "Lateral displacement of PVD-improved deposit under embankment loading", Geosynth. Int., 21(5), 286-300. https://doi.org/10.1680/gein.14.00016