- Volume 9 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Relationship of box counting of fractured rock mass with Hoek-Brown parameters using particle flow simulation
- Ning, Jianguo ;
- Liu, Xuesheng ;
- Tan, Yunliang ;
- Wang, Jun ;
- Tian, Chenglin
- Received : 2014.12.18
- Accepted : 2015.06.05
- Published : 2015.11.25
Influenced by various mining activities, fractures in rock masses have different densities, set numbers and lengths, which induce different mechanical properties and failure modes of rock masses. Therefore, precisely expressing the failure criterion of the fractured rock influenced by coal mining is significant for the support design, safety assessment and disaster prevention of underground mining engineering subjected to multiple mining activities. By adopting PFC2D particle flow simulation software, this study investigated the propagation and fractal evolution laws of the micro cracks occurring in two typical kinds of rocks under uniaxial compressive condition. Furthermore, it calculated compressive strengths of the rocks with different confining pressures and box-counting dimensions. Moreover, the quantitative relation between the box-counting dimension of the rocks and the empirical parameters m and s in Hoek-Brown strength criterion was established. Results showed that with the increase of the strain, the box-counting dimension of the rocks first increased slowly at the beginning and then exhibited an exponential increase approximately. In the case of small strains of same value, the box-counting dimensions of hard rocks were smaller than those of weak rocks, while the former increased rapidly and were larger than the latter under large strain. The results also presented that there was a negative correlation between the parameters m and s in Hoek-Brown strength criterion and the box-counting dimension of the rocks suffering from variable mining activities. In other words, as the box-counting dimensions increased, the parameters m and s decreased linearly, and their relationship could be described using first order polynomial function.
fractured rock mass;Hoek-Brown strength criterion;rock mass parameters;box-counting dimension;numerical simulation
- Ai, T., Zhang, R. and Zhou, H.W. (2014), "Box-counting methods to directly estimate the fractal dimension of a rock surface", Appl. Surf. Sci., 314, 610-621. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2014.06.152
- Aker, E., Kuhn, D., Vavrycuk, V., Soldal, M. and Oye, V. (2014), "Experimental investigation of acoustic emissions and their moment tensors in rock during failure", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 70, 286-295.
- Amitrano, D., Gruber, S. and Girard, L. (2012), "Evidence of frost-cracking inferred from acoustic emissions in a high-alpine rock-wall", Earth Planet. Sc. Lett., 341-344, 86-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2012.06.014
- Bagheripour, M.H., Rahgozar, R., Pashnesaz, H. and Malekinejad, M. (2011), "A complement to Hoek-Brown failure criterion for strength prediction in anisotropic rock", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 3(1), 61-81. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2011.3.1.061
- Bejarbaneh, B.Y., Armaghani, D.J. and Amin, M.F.M. (2015), "Strength characterisation of shale using Mohr-Coulomb and Hoek-Brown criteria", Measurement, 63, 269-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2014.12.029
- Cheon, D.S., Jung, Y.B., Park, E.S., Song, W.K. and Jang, H.I. (2011), "Evaluation of damage level for rock slopes using acoustic emission technique with waveguides", Eng. Geol., 121, 75-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2011.04.015
- Hoek, E. and Brown, E.T. (1980), "Empirical strength criterion for rock masses", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 106(GT9), 1013-1035.
- Hoek, E., Marinos, P. and Benissi, M. (1998), "Applicability of the Geological Strength Index (GSI) classification for very weak and sheared rock masses: The case of the Athens Schist Formation", B. Eng. Geol. Environ., 57(2), 151-160. https://doi.org/10.1007/s100640050031
- Hoek, E., Carranza-Torres, C. and Corkum, B. (2002), "Hoek-Brown failure criterion-2002 edition", Proceedings of NARMS-Tac, 267-273.
- Ismael, M.A., Imam, H.F. and El-Shayeb, Y. (2014), "A simplified approach to directly consider intact rock anisotropy in Hoek-Brown failure criterion", J. Rock Mech. Geotech. Eng., 6(5), 486-492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrmge.2014.06.003
- Jensen, R.P., Bosscher, P.J., Plesha, M.E. and Edil, T.B. (1999), "DEM simulation of granular media - structure interface: Effects of surface roughness and particle shape", Int. J. Numer. Anal. Met., 23(6), 531-547. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9853(199905)23:6<531::AID-NAG980>3.0.CO;2-V
- Langford, J.C. and Diederichs, M.S. (2015), "Quantifying uncertainty in Hoek-Brown intact strength envelopes", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 74, 91-102.
- Li, Y.R. and Huang, R.Q. (2015), "Relationship between joint roughness coefficient and fractal dimension of rock fracture surfaces", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 75, 15-22.
- Monkul, M.M. (2013), "Influence of gradation on shear strength and volume change behavior of silty sands", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 5(5), 401-417. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2013.5.5.401
- Nekouei, A.M. and Ahangari, K. (2013), "Validation of Hoek-Brown failure criterion charts for rock slopes", Int. J. Min. Sci. Technol., 23(6), 805-808. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmst.2013.10.004
- Palmstrom, A. (1996), "Characterizing rock masses by the RMI for use in practical rock engineering: Part 1: The development of the Rock Mass index (RMI)", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 11(2), 175-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/0886-7798(96)00015-6
- Potyondy, D.O. and Cundall, P.A. (2004), "A bonded-particle model for rock", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 41(8), 1329-1364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2004.09.011
- Senent, S., Mollon, G. and Jimenez, R. (2013), "Tunnel face stability in heavily fractured rock masses that follow the Hoek-Brown failure criterion", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 60, 440-451.
- Shen, J., Karakus, M. and Xu, C. (2013), "Chart-based slope stability assessment using the Generalized Hoek-Brown criterion", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 64, 210-219.
- Song, J.B. and Yu, Z.Y. (2001), "Hoek-Brown Strength Criterion and Method Determining Parameters Mands", J. Southwest Inst. Technol., 16(1), 26-29. [In Chinese]
- Vallejo, L.E. (2012), "Fractal evaluation of the level of alligator cracking in pavements", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 4(3), 219-227. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2012.4.3.219
- Wang, Z.J., Ruiken, A., Jacobs, J. and Ziegler, M. (2014), "A new suggestion for determining 2D porosities in DEM studies", Geomech. Eng., 7(6), 665-678. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.7.6.665
- Yang, X.L. and Pan, Q.J. (2015), "Three dimensional seismic and static stability of rock slopes", Geomech. Eng., 8(1), 97-111. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.1.097
- Yang, X.L. and Qin, C.B. (2014), "Limit analysis of rectangular cavity subjected to seepage forces based on Hoek-Brown failure criterion", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 6(5), 503-515. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.6.5.503
- Yang, X.Q., Zhang, L.J. and Ji, X.M. (2013), "Strength characteristics of transversely isotropic rock materials", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 5(1), 71-86. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2013.5.1.071
- Yuan, R.F. and Li, Y.H. (2009), "Fractal analysis on the spatial distribution of acoustic emission in the failure process of rock specimens", Int. J Min. Met. Mater., 16(1), 19-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1674-4799(09)60004-2
- Zhang, J.H., He, J.D. and Fan, J.W. (2000), "Rock Mechanical Parameter Study of Xiaowan Project", Yunnan Water Power, 16(2), 26-27. [In Chinese]
- Analysis of Rock Damage Characteristics Based on Particle Discrete Element Model 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-017-0363-0
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China