- Volume 9 Issue 5
A three-dimensional elastoplastic constitutive model, also known as a UH model (Yao et al. 2009), was developed to describe the stress-strain relationship for normally consolidated and over-consolidated soils. In this paper, an acoustic tensor and discriminator of bifurcation for the UH model are derived for the strain localization of saturated clays under undrained and fully and partially drained conditions. Analytical analysis is performed to illustrate the points of bifurcation for the UH model with different three-dimensional stress paths. Numerical analyses of cubic specimens for the bifurcation of saturated clays under undrained and fully and partially drained conditions are conducted using ABAQUS with the UH model. Analytical and numerical analyses show the similar bifurcation behaviour of overconsolidated clays in three-dimensional stress states and various drainage conditions. The results of analytical and numerical analyses show that (1) the occurrence of bifurcation is dependent on the stress path and drainage condition; and (2) bifurcation can appear in either a strain-hardening or strain-softening regime.
bifurcation;over-consolidated;constitutive model;undrained condition;partially drained condition;numerical simulation
- ABAQUS Inc. (2006), ABAQUS user's and theory manuals, Version 6.6; Providence Rhode Island.
- Bigoni, D. and Hueckel, T. (1991), "Uniqueness and localization-I associative and non-associative elasto-plasticity", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 28(2), 197-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(91)90205-T
- Drucker, D.C. (1959), "A definition of stable inelastic materials", J. Appl. Mech., 26(1), 101-106.
- Hill, R. (1958), "A general theory of uniqueness and stability in elastic-plastic solids", J. Mech. Phys. Solid., 6(3), 236-249.
- Huang, W.X., Sun, D.A. and Sloan, S.W. (2007), "Analysis of the failure mode and softening behaviour of sands in true triaxial tests", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 44(5), 1423-1437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2006.06.026
- Huang, M.S., Lv, X.L. and Qian, J.G. (2010), "Non-coaxial elasto-plasticity model and bifurcation prediction of shear banding in sands", Int. J. Numer. Anal. Method. Geomech., 34(9), 906-919.
- Matsuoka, H. and Nakai, T. (1974), "Stress-deformation and strength characteristics of soil under three difference principal stresses", Proc. JSCE, 232, 59-70.
- Matsuoka, H. and Nakai, T. (1976), "Closure to discussion on "Stress-deformation and strength characteristics of soil under three-different principal stress", Proc. JSCE, 246, 139-140. [In Japanese]
- Matsuoka, H., Yao, Y.P. and Sun, D.A. (1999), "The Cam-clay model revised by the SMP criterion", Soil. Found., 39(1), 81-95.
- Rice, J.R. (1976), The Localization of Plastic Deformation, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, (Koiter, W.T.), North Holland Amsterdam, pp. 207-220.
- Rudnicki, J.W. and Rice, J.R. (1975), "Conditions for the localization of deformation in pressure-sensitive dilatant materials", J. Mech. Phys. Solid., 23(6), 371-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(75)90001-0
- Yao, Y.P., Hou, W. and Zhou, A.N. (2009), "UH model: three-dimensional unified hardening model for overconsolidated clays", Geotechnique, 59(5), 451-469. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2007.00029
- Yao, Y.P., Gao, Z.W., Zhao, J.D. and Wan, Z. (2012), "Modified UH Model: Constitutive modeling of overconsolidated clays based on a parabolic Hvorslev Envelope", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., ASCE, 138(7), 860-868. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000649
- Zhang, H.W. and Schrefler, B.A. (2001), "Uniqueness and localization analysis of elastic-plastic saturated porous media", Int. J. Numer. Anal. Method. Geomech., 25(1), 29-48. https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9853(200101)25:1<29::AID-NAG116>3.0.CO;2-S