- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Numerical modeling of two parallel tunnels interaction using three-dimensional Finite Elements Method
- Nawel, Bousbia (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Science, 20 August 1955 University) ;
- Salah, Messast (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Science, 20 August 1955 University)
- 투고 : 2014.12.01
- 심사 : 2015.11.05
- 발행 : 2015.12.25
Due to the extension of communication ways (metro, highways, railways), hence, to improve traffic flow imposes often the difficult crossing that generally drive to the construction of underground works (tunnel, water conveyance tunnel...) plays a major role in the redevelopment of urban areas. This study is focused on the assessment of the interaction response of parallel tunnels, so this study uses the results from the simulation of two tunnels to illustrate a few observations that may aid in practical designs. In this article, simultaneous drilling of highway's twin tunnels is simulated by means of Finite Element Method (FEM) implemented in Plaxis program. So the treated subject appears in a setting of geotechnical where one can be to construct several tunnels sometimes in a ground of weak mechanical characteristics. The objective of this study is to simulate numerically the interaction effects caused by construction of two parallels tunnels. This is an important factor in the study of the total answer of the problem interaction between parallels underground works. The importance of the effects transmitted is function of several parameters as the type of the works, and the mechanical characteristics (tunnel size, depth, and the relative position between two tunnels, lining thickness...). This article describes numerical analyses of two parallels tunnels interaction. This study will be applied to a real case of a section tunnel T4 of the highway East-West (Algeria); the study presented below comprises a series of numerical simulations of two tunnels using the computer program Plaxis which is used in the analyses is based on Finite Element Method.
- Tabbal, D., Hage Chehade, F. and Shahrour, I. (2011), "Modelisation numerique de l'ordre de construction des tunnels sur le comportement du sol et des structures en surface: Cas des tunnels paralleles inclines", 20eme Congres Francais de Mecanique, Besancon, France, September.
- Yeo, C.H., Lee, F.H., Tan, S.C., Hasegawa, O., Suzuki, H. and Shinji, M. (2009), "Three dimensional numerical modelling of a NATM tunnel", International Journal of the Japanese Committee for Rock Mechanics JCRM, 5, 33-38.
- Wang, J.G., Kong, S.L. and Leung, C.F. (2003), "Twin tunnels-induced ground settlement in soft soils", Proceedings of the Sino-Japanese Symposium on Geotechnical Engineering in Urban Construction, Beijing, China, October.
- Addenbrook, T.I. and Potts, D.M. (1996), "Twin tunnel construction - Ground movements and lining behavior", Geotechnical Aspects of Underground Construction, (Soft Ground Mair & Taylor eds), Rotterdam, Netherlands, pp. 441-446.
- Afifipour, M., Sharifzadeh, M., Shahriar, K. and Jamshidi, H. (2011), "Interaction of twin tunnels and shallow foundation at Zand underpass, Shiraz metro, Iran", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 26(2), 356-363. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2010.11.006
- Attewell, P.B. and Farmer, I.W. (1975), "Ground settlement above shield driven tunnels in clays", Tunn. Tunnel., 7(1), 58-62.
- Chakeri, H., Hasanpour, R., Hindistan, M.A. and U nver, B. (2011), "Analysis of interaction between tunnels in soft ground by 3D numerical modeling", Bull. Eng. Geol. Environ., 70(3), 439-448. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-010-0333-8
- Chen, S.L., Lee, S.C. and Gui, M.W. (2009), "Effects of rock pillar width on the excavation behavior of parallel tunnels", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 24(2), 148-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2008.05.006
- Chu, B.L., Hsu, S.C., Chang, Y.L. and Lin, Y.S. (2007), "Mechanical behavior of a twin-tunnel in multi-layered formations", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 22(3), 351-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2006.06.003
- Dar Al-Handasah (Shair and Partners) (2009), "Documents d'autoroute Est Oust Lot Unique Est", Consortium Japonais pour L'autoroute Algerienne COJAAL.
- Do, N.A., Dias, D., Oreste, P. and Djeran-Maigre, I. (2013), "2D numerical investigations of twin tunnel interaction", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 6(3), 263-275.
- Ercelebi, S.G., Copur, H. and Ocak, I. (2011), "Surface settlement predictions for Istanbul Metro tunnels excavated by EPB-TBM", Environ. Earth Sci., 62(2), 357-365. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-010-0530-6
- Franzius, J.N. (2003), "Behaviour of buildings due to tunnel induced subsidence", Ph.D. Dissertation; University of London, UK.
- Gercek, H. (2005), "Interaction between parallel underground openings", Proceedings of the 19th International Mining Congress and Fair of Turkey, Izmir, Turkey, June.
- Hage Chehade, F. and Shahrour, I. (2007), "Numerical analysis of the interaction between twin-tunnels: Influence of the relative position and construction procedure", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 23(2), 210-214.
- Hage Chehade, F. and Shahrour, I. (2012), "Interaction tunnels-sol-structure: Effet de l'ordre de construction des tunnels", Journees Nationales de Geotechnique et de Geologie de l'Ingenieur JNGG, Bordeaux, France, Juillet.
- Hefny, A.M., Chua, H.C. and Jhao, J. (2004), "Parametric studies on the interaction between Existing and new bored tunnels", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 19(4-5), 471. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2004.02.074
- Hossaini, S.M.F., Shaban, M. and Talebinejad, A. (2012), "Relationship between twin tunnels distance and surface subsidence in soft ground of Tabriz Metro - Iran", Proceedings of the 12th Coal Operators' Conference University of Wollongong & The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, pp. 163-168.
- Hosseini, S.A.A., Mohammadne Jad, M., Hoseini, S.M., Mikaeil, R. and Tolooiyan, A. (2012), "Numerical and analytical investigation of ground surface settlement due to subway excavation", Geosciences, 2(6), 185-191.
- Karakus, M., Ozsan, A. and Basarir, H. (2007), "Finite element analysis for the twin metro tunnel constructed in Ankara Clay, Turkey", Bull. Eng. Geol. Environ., 66(1), 71-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-006-0056-z
- Liu, H.Y., Small, J.C. and Carter, J.P. (2008), "Full 3D modelling for effects of tunnelling on existing support systems in the Sydney region", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 23(4), 399-420. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2007.06.009
- Messast, S., Hazem, M., Bousbia, N. and Mokhbi, H. (2014), "Numerical modeling of the face reinforcement of Djebel El-Kantour tunnel face (highway east-west)", J. Appl. Eng. Sci. Techno., 1(1), 23-29.
- Mroueh, H. and Shahrour, I. (2008), "A simplified 3D model for tunnel construction using tunnel boring machines", Tunn. Undergr. Space Technol., 23(1), 38-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2006.11.008
- Namazi, E., Mohamad, H., Jorat, M.E. and Hajihassani, M. (2011), "Investigation on the effects of twin tunnel excavations beneath a road underpass", EJGE, 16, 441-450.
- Ng, C.W.W., Lee, K.M. and Tang, D.K.W. (2004), "Three-dimensional numerical investigations of new austrian tunnelling method (NATM) twin tunnel interactions", Can. Geotech. J., 41(3), 523-539. https://doi.org/10.1139/t04-008
- Ng, C.W.W., Lee, K.M. and Tang, D.K.W. (2006), "Three-dimensional numerical investigations of new Austrian tunnelling method (NATM) twin tunnel interactions", Can. Geotech., 41(3), 523-539.
- Oreste, P.P. (2003), "Analysis of structural interaction in tunnels using the convergence - Confinement approach", Tunn. Undergr. Sp. Tech., 18(4), 347-363. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(03)00004-X
- Panet, M. and Guenot, A. (1982), "Analysis of convergence behind the face of a tunnel", Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium, Brighton, UK, June, pp.187-204.
- Salim, N.M. (2013), "Interaction between the existing and the new constructed tunnels", Eng. Tech. J., 31, Part (A), No. 19.
- Samadi, H.R. and Samadi, M.R. (2013), "Determining the minimum distance between centers of two parallel tunnels to apply the Law of Super Position in order to calculate subsidence by using the software FLAC 3D", J. Adv. Phys., 1(1), 13-20.
- Suwansawat, S. (2006), "Superposition technique for mapping surface settlement troughs twin tunnels", Proceedings of International Symposium on Underground Excavation and Tunnelling, Bangkok, Thailand, February.
- Sweeney, P. (2006), "A study of interaction effects due to bored tunnels in clay", Ph.D. Dissertation; University of Dublin, Trinity College, Hartford, CT, USA.
- A simplified prediction method for evaluating tunnel displacement induced by laterally adjacent excavations vol.95, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2017.10.006
- Numerical analysis of gas-liquid two-phase flow after water inrush from the working face during tunnel excavation in a karst region pp.1435-9537, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-018-1312-8
- Influence Zone Division and Risk Assessment of Underwater Tunnel Adjacent Constructions vol.2019, pp.1563-5147, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/1269064