- Volume 39 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Research on the Characteristics of the Contemporary Fashion Show Window Display -Focus on the Characteristics of Contemporary Art-
현대 패션 쇼윈도 디스플레이의 특성에 관한 연구 -현대 예술의 특성을 중심으로-
- Received : 2015.03.11
- Accepted : 2015.08.21
- Published : 2015.12.31
This research analyzes trends of fashion show window displays, regarding it as a new form of installation art that has the characteristics of contemporary art. Fashion show window displays are more than a physical space for displaying and have emerged as a new space in which creative expressions of arts take place. This research presents the characteristics of contemporary fashion show window displays by analyzing the characteristics of contemporary art. First, recent show window displays have shown "decentralization": various themes, forms, and mediums that are accepted without discrimination. Recent show window displays deviate from conventional methods, constantly pursuing experimental and progressive ideas and also include categories of current art, body art, and live art. Second, show window display has "interactiveness" that enables two-way communication between audiences and art, rather than fixing audiences as receptive viewers. Third, "textuality" can be found in show window displays. Recent show windows are use "objects" to show products as well as to express the meaning and symbols of products. A new directionality and effective strategies are shown to be imperative for the future development of fashion show window displays.
Contemporary arts;Decentralization;Fashion show window display;Interactiveness;Textuality
- Project Ocean launches at Selfridges. (2011, May 13). TimeOut. Retrieved December 10, 2014, from http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2011/05/13/project-ocean-selfridges/
- Song, B. J. (2008). Allegory as an artistic cognition in postmodernist. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Seoul.
- SP loves London - Christmas Special. (2011, December 14). seymourpowellblog. Retrieved December 10, 2014, from http://blog.seymourpowell.com/2011/12/sp-loves-london-christmas-special/
- TRIP TO WONDERLAND. (2013, January). Naver. Retrieved January 11, 2014, from http://navercast.naver.com/magazine_contents.nhn?rid=1101&attrId=&contents_id=19544&leafId=1101
- VIDEO: De Beers' Christmas windows by Rolf Sachs. (2012, December 11). PROFESSIONAL JEWELLER. Retrieved December 10, 2014, from http://www.professionaljeweller.com/video-de-beers-christmas-windows-by-rolf-sachs/
- Vivienne Westwood's Domestic Abuse Mannequins. (2013, October 16). CFT. Retrieved December 11, 2014, from http://www.cft.or.kr/sub/?num=617&part=Season Insight
- When Photography Took Centre Stage: Aspects of 1970s Conceptual Photography. (2008, April 27). Artintelligence. Retrieved December 12, 2014, from http://artintelligence.net/review/?p=706
- Yeum, S. U. (2009). Investigation of characteristic of modern design model. Journal of the Korea Communication Association, 31, 16-25.
- Agnona. (2011, December 22). Vetrina in allestimento. Retrieved December 11, 2014, from http://shopdisplays.blogspot.kr/2011/12/agnona.html
- Ahn, N. Y. (2010). A study of ornamental model using postmodern expressive characteristics. Unpublished master's thesis, Industry and Engineering Seoul National University of Technology, Seoul.
- American Apparel ignites controversy by displaying pubic hair on store window mannequins. (2014, January 18). RAWSTORY. Retrieved December 11, 2014, from http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/18/american-apparel-ignites-controversy-by-displaying-pubic-hair-on-store-window-mannequins/
- Aubade: French Art of Loving. (2011, May 22). adoholik. Retrieved December 5, 2014, from http://adoholik.com/?s=xoxo
- Benetton Windows Interactive Platform. (2011, January 14). The Works of Oriol Ferrer Mesia. Retrieved December 10, 2014, from http://uri.cat/projects/benetton-windows-interaction/
- Calvin Klein devoted a show-window to Michelle and Barack Obama in the New York based store. (2012, June 29). MIKE KAGEE FASHION BLOG. Retrieved December 21, 2014, from http://stylediary1.blogspot.kr/2012/06/calvinklein-devoted-show-window-to.html
- Elizabeth Murray: Smartness and Sensibility. (2008, October 8). Updates, Live. Retrived December 12, 2014, from http://updateslive.blogspot.kr/2008/10/elizabeth-murray-smartness-and.html
- Empress of India. (2010, May 19). flickr. Retrieved December 12, 2014, from https://www.flickr.com/photos/erbium/4634450275
- Fifty Shades Of Gay. (2012, June 29). NYC loves NYC. Retrieved January 18, 2014, from http://nyclovesnyc.blogspot.kr/2012/06/fifty-shades-of-gay.html
- Ha, N. K. (1996). The surrealistics expression in fashion display. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- How Much Is That Eye in the Window? (2006, November 9). NYMag. Retrieved December 3, 2014, from http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2006/11/how_much_is_that_eye_in_the_wi.html
- Jang, J. Y. (2009). Research on show window kinetic display. Unpublished master's thesis, Industry and Engineering Seoul National University of Technology, Seoul.
- Janson, H. W., Janson, A., & Harry, N. A. (2001). HISTORY OF ART FOR YOUNG PEOPLE (4th ed.) (G. D. Choi, Trans.). Seoul: Mijinsa. (Original work published 1992)
- Kim, D. H. (2007, June 13). 프렝탕 百 쇼윈도에 디자이너 등장! [Emergence of Designers in the show-windows of the Printemps Department Store!]. Fashionbiz. Retrieved December 12, 2014, from http://www.fashionbiz.co.kr/WW/main.asp?cate=2&idx=102964
- Kim, H. Y. (2014). A study on the meaning and communication strata of contemporary art. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon.
- Kim, J. S. (2007). Characteristics of contemporary society and art and fashion collections. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. Y. (2007). Study on expression-based inclusive art education with the application of contemporary art. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. Y. (2013). A study on expansion of brand experience through visual merchandising based on interactive media: focused on participatory interaction at show windows. Unpublished master's thesis, Hongik University, Seoul.
- Kim, K, E. (2011). A study of show window design as visual merchandising strategy. Unpublished mater's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. H. (2009). A study on work of space design for displaying a show window. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungwon University, Seongnam.
- Lebendige Leiber unter den Trophen des Luxus: Vanessa Beecroft im "Espace Louis Vuitton" [Vibrant Leiber among the Awards of Luxury: Vanessa Beecroft in "Espace Louis Vuitton"]. (2006, February 28). Frankfurter Allgemeine. Retrieved December 28, 2014, from http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/kunstmarkt/gegenwartskunst-lebendige-leiber-unter-den-trophaeen-des-luxus-vanessa-beecroft-imespace-louis-vuitton-1303574.html
- Little Sun and la Rinascente's Off-Grid Shops Project. (2012, December). Little Sun. Retrieved December 11, 2014, from http://www.littlesun.com/index.php?sec=rinascente
- Moon, S. H. (2005). Study on artistic meanings of modern ballet based on postmodernism. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Park, Y. S. (1987). A study on display in the show window of department store: Focus on the cases of Seoul City. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
Supported by : 서울대학교